All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
crumbSnatche
join:2014-03-04
Long Island City, NY

crumbSnatche

[Internet] TWC Internet Upgrade Confusion (Maxx - Clarification)

Hello,

I live in Long Island City (Queens/NYC). I currently have the Extreme Upgrade service (30/5).... my speeds are consistent with what's advertised. I received a letter in the mail from TWC indicating stating "improvements in progress" (faster internet, modern channel guide, blah, blah, blah). They mentioned that work would be complete at the end of Feb. I still haven't noticed anything different as of today. Questions:

1. The Maxx announcement came out about the same time as I received this letter. Does this letter have any correlation to Maxx, or is this something different. I know Woodside Queens was supposed to be on of the first hubs to be upgraded with Maxx, but sometimes LIC gets lumped with different neighborhoods. TWC support didn't even know what Maxx was when asking.

2. If this letter is something separate from Maxx, what is the expected speed increase for Internet? Called TWC and the service support sounded like she was guessing... she mentioned it would be bumped to 50mb. What about upload? I noticed on other posts that people in NY with the Ultimate Package got 100mb down (from 50) and remained at 5mb up. Didn't see anyone with the Extreme package.

Thank you all for your help.
ematrix
join:2013-08-04
Astoria, NY

ematrix

I live in the Astoria/Woodside area and got the same letter. I am clueless myself.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to crumbSnatche

to crumbSnatche
copy of letter?

Someone in LA got a similar letter but theirs mentioned 3-6 weeks and neighborhood equipment would be replaced.

Nick21
join:2010-02-03
New York, NY

Nick21 to crumbSnatche

to crumbSnatche
Please post letter, would love to see NYC/Metro area alert. Thanks.
crumbSnatche
Long Island City, NY

crumbSnatche

Click for full size
Here it is.
crumbSnatche

crumbSnatche

Should add.... zip code for 11109. I have the Ubee MTA DVW3201B model. DOCSIS 3.0 certified. I'm guessing that modem should be fine for any upgrades.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by crumbSnatche:

hmm if you have extreme your speeds will be bumped to 200/20 from 30/5 so yeah you may need a new modem if saturation gets very bad with you only connected to 8 downstream channels instead of the 16 total that will be available after the work is done. The Ubee you have only supports 8 channels downstream.
PowerfulOwl
join:2013-03-04
La Mirada, CA

PowerfulOwl to crumbSnatche

to crumbSnatche
It's confirmed everyone in LA and NYC area are getting the maxx upgrade very soon. I'm currently on the 100/5 plan (originally 50/5). I can't wait for the 300/20 upgrade.

Nick21
New York, NY

Nick21

Thanks for the letter.
said by PowerfulOwl:

It's confirmed everyone in LA and NYC area are getting the maxx upgrade very soon. I'm currently on the 100/5 plan (originally 50/5). I can't wait for the 300/20 upgrade.

Isn't it now 300/30?

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by Nick21:

Thanks for the letter.

said by PowerfulOwl:

Isn't it now 300/30?

that may only be for Austin TX though.
crumbSnatche
Long Island City, NY

crumbSnatche

After digging through these forums, I'm starting to doubt that this letter corresponds to Maxx. I think my neighborhood is late to the game in the upgrades that started to happen in NYC over the recent past (i.e. Ultimate going from 50/5 to 100/5). Couldn't find what the increase would be for Extreme users. I'm going to assume TWC support's guesstimate of 50/5 (from 30/5). While nice, I was hoping for faster upload speeds.

teckman
@verizon.net

teckman to Nick21

Anon

to Nick21
step one is go block by block upgrading the physical infrastructure. just cause your block was done doesnt mean the new service is made available the next day. they wait til an entire area or borough is upgraded before new speeds or service is implemented.
Snowknight26
join:2011-04-06

Snowknight26 to crumbSnatche

to crumbSnatche
It seems to be related to the Maxx announcement. If you check the site mentioned in the letter (twc.com/bettertwc) you'll see that they mention speed increases of 50% to 600% (600% being 50->300Mbps).

Guess they're a little delayed.
Mon
join:2014-01-25
Brooklyn, NY

Mon to crumbSnatche

to crumbSnatche
As stated above, if you go to the link stated on the letter, look at the footnote with tiny font on the bottom where it says the speed increase by 50-600%, which means this is related to Maxx.

At OP or anyone else who got the letters, when did you guys get this announcement?
I live in Sunset Park, Brooklyn and haven't got this yet.
ematrix
join:2013-08-04
Astoria, NY

ematrix to crumbSnatche

to crumbSnatche
I received my letter the second week of February. I have rebooted my modem several times since March 1st, and nothing yet.

mckenna797
Premium Member
join:2004-08-25
Astoria, NY

mckenna797 to crumbSnatche

Premium Member

to crumbSnatche
Never got the letter, but I,m at 100/5 now, Signature Home in zip 11106
crumbSnatche
Long Island City, NY

crumbSnatche to Mon

to Mon
Got mine in the first week of Feb (could have come earlier, but don't check my mail too often and no date stamp on prepaid postage). Been hard/soft resetting my modem as well, but no increase as of yet.

Nick21
New York, NY

Nick21 to motorola870

to motorola870
said by motorola870:

said by Nick21:

Thanks for the letter.

said by PowerfulOwl:

Isn't it now 300/30?

that may only be for Austin TX though.

Per Twitter rep, it's 300/30 for NYC and LA now.

And can anyone explain what TWC is upgrading exactly? Just the hub's and node's or also the tap's, etc?

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by Nick21:

Per Twitter rep, it's 300/30 for NYC and LA now.

And can anyone explain what TWC is upgrading exactly? Just the hub's and node's or also the tap's, etc?

wondering that myself? I thought that parts of LA was getting bumped from 750MHz to 1GHz and node splits but TWC may just be replacing the CMTS' for all we know and they could have made the wording very open to interpretation to give people with little technical knowledge of what is going an simple way telling that they will be doing upgrades.

Nick21
New York, NY

Nick21

Any visuals of the system? cable modem to tap to node to cmts? And yeah I have no idea, they did mention hub upgrades.

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to crumbSnatche

Premium Member

to crumbSnatche
When will the upgrades be available in LA
PowerfulOwl
join:2013-03-04
La Mirada, CA

PowerfulOwl

Well, it won't be long now. According to the letter I got last week, they'll be installing new wiring and changing out equipment. It will be done in 3-6 weeks.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to OpTiC

Premium Member

to OpTiC
said by OpTiC :

Soon(tm).

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

1 recommendation

mackey to OpTiC

Premium Member

to OpTiC
said by OpTiC :

They will be available next week. If you do not see them then, read this message again.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by mackey:

said by OpTiC :

They will be available next week. If you do not see them then, read this message again.

you do realize that the upgrades are going to be staggered in LA and NYC right they aren't lighting up the new speeds in all areas at once.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

1 recommendation

djrobx

Premium Member

said by motorola870:

you do realize that the upgrades are going to be staggered in LA and NYC right they aren't lighting up the new speeds in all areas at once.

*Whoosh!*

(That's the sound of mackey See Profile's joke going right over your head! )

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by djrobx:

said by motorola870:

*Whoosh!*

(That's the sound of mackey See Profile's joke going right over your head! )

yeah I guess I didn't catch it lol. But it does look like parts of LA are already seeing the MAXX upgrades with upstream bonding for all we know the person that has it now could be on a node with 16 downstream and 4 upstream as their modem could have locked on to those 8 channels first on the downstream.

OpTicNaDe
@rr.com

OpTicNaDe to mackey

Anon

to mackey
I didn't receive the letter in my mail yet. And do I have to upgrade my modem. My current modem is the sb6121 and I have the turbo plan.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by OpTicNaDe :

I didn't receive the letter in my mail yet. And do I have to upgrade my modem. My current modem is the sb6121 and I have the turbo plan.

yes that modem is going to have to replaced once they rollout the upgrades as Turbo is going to 100/10 but with congestion you will need at least an 8x4 modem such as the SB6141.

OpTicNaDe
@rr.com

OpTicNaDe

Anon

Then why can comcast customer can use the sb 6121 on their extreme 105 tier. This tier is 105 down and 20 up