El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

[Game] South Park: The Stick of Truth

(Mods feel free to merge this into an existing topic if need be)

I'm thinking of getting this at full price, or at whatever discount I can get on an initial launch. It looks funny, the reviews are what I'd expect, and I've casually anticipating this one for a while.

Is anyone planning on buying it? Is anyone else definitely not getting it?

I'm all ears.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

I'm pretty sure I am getting it... but with my stupidly long list of games to play and finish... I'll just wait till the summer sale most probably.

RavenX11R6
join:2013-03-02
Mechanicsburg, PA

RavenX11R6

i'm planning on it during the summer, i wanted to pre-order or grab at launch but $60 is a bit more than i wanna spend since i'm tryin to build a new pc, so no cash for new games
Roadhowse
join:2010-10-13
Greensburg, PA

2 recommendations

Roadhowse to El Quintron

to El Quintron
$45.00 at greenmangaming with voucher: VRW14X-M2YVEU-B0C9OT if you guys are going to pick it up. Should be usable by all.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Roadhowse:

$45.00 at greenmangaming with voucher: VRW14X-M2YVEU-B0C9OT if you guys are going to pick it up. Should be usable by all.

Noted, thanks for that.
El Quintron

El Quintron to ekster

Premium Member

to ekster
said by ekster:

I'm pretty sure I am getting it... but with my stupidly long list of games to play and finish... I'll just wait till the summer sale most probably.

If I do get it, and it's looking more and more like I will, I'm probably just going to burn right through it. I'm looking for something a little lighter, than TW2 and Skyrim, which are what I'm playing now.

EQ

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to El Quintron

Mod

to El Quintron
It looks hilarious. Maybe a few patches down the road I'll pick it up.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Mike:

Maybe a few patches down the road I'll pick it up.

That GMG code is making it hard to resist, I'll post a quick review if I end up caving.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

1 recommendation

Jobbie

Premium Member

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· RSVrr7SQ

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to El Quintron

to El Quintron
It's worth getting but not worth the $60+DLC. I recommend waiting till its $20-$30 range.

It's turn based and has the same video layout as mario games do but what the game has to offer makes up for all that. It's cool how everything from pretty much every episode is in the game(characters, jokes, etc.)

I already have just above $70 made in the game so i'm a good way into it. Cool game.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

Awesome, someone mentioned a 25% off coupon so I may go for it now despite, I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it.

Turn based is fine... I still fire up Chrono Trigger on an emulator from time to time when I need a change of speed.

EQ
El Quintron

El Quintron to Jobbie

Premium Member

to Jobbie
I watched about 15 minutes of this and it looks awesome, not really impressed with the 30FPS bit, but that will hopefully get fixed in the short to medium term... it is a turn based RPG, which I haven't played since PS1, but my Visa is getting itchy that's for sure.
El Quintron

El Quintron

Premium Member

OK I just pulled the trigger on this, review incoming.

EQ
El Quintron

El Quintron

Premium Member

Not to keep flogging my own thread, but it's worth noting that this is a Ubisoft game with no Uplay, so thus far Steam only.

Without playing it at all, that's one good thing already.

EQ

Cat5
join:2013-04-26

Cat5 to El Quintron

to El Quintron
I was interested in this game but it seems to have gone from an MMO to an action RPG in all the spiel.

It sounded great, a light hearted MMO with childish humour which wasn't going to take itself seriously. It still sounds like a hell of a lot of fun, however now it's not an MMO I don't feel any need to buy it now, as nothing is going to change other than the price and I still have a load of single player games to keep me going.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Cat5:

I was interested in this game but it seems to have gone from an MMO to an action RPG in all the spiel.

I don't know how they would have pulled this off as an MMO, (and I've been expecting an RPG since I started following this) but that would have also been entertaining.

EQ

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member

ekster

Premium Member

I believe they already had a Family Guy MMO in the past. Not sure how well that turned out to be though...

Cat5
join:2013-04-26

Cat5 to El Quintron

to El Quintron
I don't know how they'd have pulled the MMO off and I remember talking to guildies about it so I didn't dream it!

It still looks awesome as an RPG, just the lack of multiplayer means I'll work on my game backlog first.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!

Goggalor to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

Turn based is fine... I still fire up Chrono Trigger on an emulator from time to time when I need a change of speed.

Chrono Trigger isn't quite turn-based; it uses Active Time Battle, which allows users to act when the bar fills up, which later in the game can fill up quite quickly when you're hasted out the wazoo.

South Park is truly turn-based, since it will wait until you make an actual decision. The game will actually have the battle participants make comments at you when you take too long.
Goggalor

Goggalor

Premium Member

By the way, I'm liking the game quite a bit. The different costumes that you can get for yourself are hilariously bad (the druid armor is a Christmas sweater with three trees on it and no pants; you're in your skivvies).

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member

ekster to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
So how's the actual gameplay on this? Is it a light-ish RPG like Penny Arcade's Rainslick Precipice, or is it a full RPG with a South Park theme.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to Goggalor

to Goggalor
said by Goggalor:

South Park is truly turn-based, since it will wait until you make an actual decision.

I don't get why they allow the player to heal and make an attack all in one turn via one character. If you have say 3 characters on your team, each character gets a chance to heal himself(or other characters) AND make an attack in the same turn. This would be the first turn based game i ever encountered that allowed this. Makes it way too easy imo

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to Goggalor

Premium Member

to Goggalor
said by Goggalor:

Chrono Trigger isn't quite turn-based; it uses Active Time Battle, which allows users to act when the bar fills up, which later in the game can fill up quite quickly when you're hasted out the wazoo.

Noted. There's a setting where you can make your enemies wait until your turn is done, but I never use it, that makes it Active Time Battle for me anyway.

EQ
El Quintron

El Quintron to Cat5

Premium Member

to Cat5
said by Cat5:

It still looks awesome as an RPG, just the lack of multiplayer means I'll work on my game backlog first.

I'm usually a binge-jumper, so I jump around between games and then I usually binge one from start to finish. I'm hoping I end up doing this with SP, because I haven't finished a game in a while.

EQ
El Quintron

El Quintron to ekster

Premium Member

to ekster
Don't know yet. Kiddies went to bed late last night and kinda cut into my gaming time.

EQ

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!

Goggalor to diablo18926

Premium Member

to diablo18926
It's because the enemies hit fairly hard and scale with you the entire game. On top of the that, there is no out of combat healing that you to have to compensate for, allowing for each battle to force you to have to pay attention.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to ekster

Premium Member

to ekster
Hey got a chance to play this last night, I haven't played Rainslick Precipice so I don't know what that's about, but I'm going to post an early review downthread.
El Quintron

El Quintron

Premium Member

South Park: The Stick of Truth Early Review

I played this for about 3 hours last night, and I have to say it's pretty fun. It's like you're watching a continuous episode of South park, in glorious 2D. There are virtually no graphic options, but it's not like you need any.

Combat is sort of hybrid with turn based attacks that have a timing factor built in to them, so when your attack comes it's actually important to hit the button at the right time and hold it. There's lot of 2D exploring to do, and lots of side missions, so it's arguably as open-world as at 2D game can be.

It immediately recognized my xbox360 controller, and I was playing withing seconds of loading it.

On the minus side, the graphics crashed twice in the three hour period I played it, and some of the timed actions are pretty buggy, but those are the two only negatives I can really think of.

Story wise, it's hilarious, it's like playing in your own episode of South Park, so chances are if you appreciate South Park, you'll enjoy this game as well. I'm digging it.

EQ

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to El Quintron

to El Quintron

Re: [Game] South Park: The Stick of Truth

After playing this game for some while now, i came across this:

»youtu.be/q0NlBR93BEE?t=1m9s

Last night i got to this point:

»youtu.be/ZIWoFsHZXOM?t=38s
(BE WARNED, HAS VERY SEXUAL CONTENT)

I honestly don't have that positive attitude that i had at the beginning of the game. I actually feel sick(especially from that alien probe mission)

Just WOW! Never thought it would go too "off-board"

I don't think i can finish the game anymore.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

I see you're new to the internet and M rated games.