uniqs

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

They're asking alot...

..for free. Most cities/counties have the mapping done in their GIS systems and have some people to answer basic questions for free, but most commercial developers need to do all the legal searches and engineering studies themselves and then submit a plan (with a large fee) to have it reviewed and approved or sent back with areas of the plan needing work so marked.
Why should ANY company get for free, what all others are charged for?
And why should google get to place their huts on public property?
Shouldn't Google have to buy land just as any other telecommunications/cableco does?
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

also Google tried to get out pole fees by places there cables high up but backed down when they found out that needed people trained to work near high voltage and they cost a lot more then people who do work lower on the poles.
BlakePaulson
join:2008-08-06
Alexandria, MN

BlakePaulson to tshirt

to tshirt
You're looking at it from the wrong angle. Google is providing something that no other providers are willing to do. Want to get 1Gbps from anyone else? IF YOU CAN, it certainly wouldn't be $70 a month, not to mention they are providing free internet as well.

It's advantageous for a community to let google have a little freedom because it increases competition with the incumbent providers and also if google ever does pull out of the fiber business in the future, all of the fiber and network were already run and paid for by google, so the only cost to the community would be to hook it up and keep it running.

I have access to fiber in my building and I wish it was as well priced out as google. $49 a month for 10/10 (I can get 60/4 through charter for $65, but they charge $15 per static IP address and our community fiber gives me 5 for free.) The most upload speed I can get with charter is 7mbps, whereas if I want to pay $109 I can get 20/20...

I need the upstream and hopefully they'll provide it in the future but what I would give to have google fiber (or at least even a fraction of it for a reasonable price.)

Oh well, we can all dream can't we?

fg8578
join:2009-04-26
San Antonio, TX

fg8578 to tshirt

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

And why should google get to place their huts on public property?
Shouldn't Google have to buy land just as any other telecommunications/cableco does?

Utilities only buy land for big facilities like a cable head end, a telco central office or a power substation.

Wires, coax and fiber are placed within the public right-of-way, for which the utilities pay the city a recurring fee per foot.

And I'm pretty sure AT&T places its U-Verse boxes in the public ROW.