I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage

[Electrical] Locking a plug into a socket

Does anyone have any ideas for a way to lock a cord into a socket?

Long story short, My grandma lives in an assisted living facility and has a cord mate system that yanks the help pull cord on the wall by her bed if she pushes the button on her wristband. One of the night nurses was originally caught by my mom removing the wristband at night so my grandma could not call as much. My mom then had a lovely chat with management about that and that quit. Now instead of removing the wristband, they have started unplugging the remote receiver that pulls the cord instead, and they forgot to plug it back in before my mom got there on more than one day. This is only one of the many problems we have had with this place.

Incase you are wondering, this is what a cord mate system is »www.cord-mate.com/images/Cord-Ma···hure.pdf

--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum

nyrrule27

join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

6 recommendations

I would say move her to a different facility.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to ilikeme

I think I would get a camera to document this and then take appropriate action. I'm not sure that it would be code compliant to lock a corded device into an outlet. One thing I can think of similar to what you are thinking is if you sealed the cord-mate plug and a battery UPS inside a locked box then they could unplug it but it wouldn't turn it off.

Critsmcgee

join:2011-12-02
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to ilikeme

Something like this?
»www.colonialmedical.com/outlet-p···ogle.com
--
"Trust Me I'm The Doctor!" -Doctor Who

Spensergig
Past my Prime
Premium,MVM
join:2000-03-26
Bradenton, FL
reply to ilikeme

»www.cordlet.com/
or an in-use cover.
These will make it obvious that any unplugging was malicious.

Main thing is to make them realize that you are going to complain to management and they are going to lose jobs if this keeps happening.

ilikeme
Premium
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to nyrrule27

said by nyrrule27:

I would say move her to a different facility.

We have considered this but decided it is not really option at this point would probably be even more detrimental to her health. She probably would not survive that, otherwise we would.
--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum

nyrrule27

join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

Yea I figured. I can almost bet what they are doing is against the law.

ilikeme
Premium
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to Critsmcgee

Something simillar to that but can be locked with a key or combination (maybe with a padlock).
--

Critsmcgee

join:2011-12-02
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by ilikeme:

Something simillar to that but can be locked with a key or combination (maybe with a padlock).

You'd have to install an outside enclosure to do that. You can padlock this.
»www.homedepot.com/p/Bell-1-Gang-···00173013

You might want to just invest in a IP camera that takes pictures with movement. If they get close to the outlet it emails you a picture of them in the act. Take the picture to management.

--
"Trust Me I'm The Doctor!" -Doctor Who

ilikeme
Premium
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage

said by Critsmcgee:

You'd have to install an outside enclosure to do that. You can padlock this.
»www.homedepot.com/p/Bell-1-Gang-···00173013

You might want to just invest in a IP camera that takes pictures with movement. If they get close to the outlet it emails you a picture of them in the act. Take the picture to management.

Thats what I was thinking.

My mom actually did mention a nanny cam as an option, but it would have to be one that records to a drive or SD card as there is no internet available there for residents unless they pay for service from Comcast themselves.
--

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ilikeme

On the nanny cam, here is one that works off A/C power and with 32 GB card = 32 days/Loop Recording Function, Record Video 24/7/365. The IR lights can be automatic or manually operated, and are totally invisible while in the dark!

Looks like a clock radio and functions as one it says.

»www.amazon.com/Secret-Camera-Hid···anny+cam

And saw more on amazon not requiring wireless.

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
kudos:2
reply to ilikeme

If they are bold enough to unplug the core-mate device they'd be bold enough to unplug anything set to monitor them unplugging it.

Move her or draw attention to make it stop. Local news outlet might be interested in hearing about this and the facility might be interested in not having the local news outlet hear about it.

wnysteel

join:2006-06-14
Hamburg, NY
reply to nyrrule27

hire a lawyer. there are law firms that specialize nursing home negligence. that will get their attention for sure.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
reply to ilikeme

said by ilikeme:

One of the night nurses was originally caught by my mom removing the wristband at night so my grandma could not call as much. My mom then had a lovely chat with management about that and that quit. Now instead of removing the wristband, they have started unplugging the remote receiver that pulls the cord instead...

Their chances are up, if it were me. They were caught removing the wristband and instead just take a different route to accomplish the same end result.

Get a nanny cam, catch them (I hate to say, on multiple occasions), and take it to a local news station.

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-06
Norwalk, CT

1 recommendation

reply to ilikeme

Put a piece of Tamper evident security tape over the plug (just enough to cover the plug/outlet plate, don't stick it on the finished Wall).

Take a Cellphone picture of it, and keep it for reference. If they remove the plug, the tape will show it has been tampered with... Another picture, and you have all the evidence you need...
--
If You're Unsure, "RTFM"... If You're SURE, "RTFM" Anyway.

Speedy Petey

join:2008-01-19

1 recommendation

reply to ilikeme

What is being suggested is illegal for one. You CANNOT lock a plug into a receptacle. Also, it would be highly illegal for you to touch anything electrical in a facility like this.

I would NOT touch a thing and complain to the highest level. If that gets you no where then I'd go the hidden camera route.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
reply to ilikeme

Get a lawyer and sue.

alphageek911

join:2007-08-10
Fresno, CA

1 recommendation

reply to ilikeme

If I were you, I'd contact the accreditation agencies for the facility, complaints funneled through them will get more attention than a complaint to the facility management. Start here, this is the main national healthcare accreditation group- »www.jointcommission.org/report_a···int.aspx

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to ilikeme

www.colonialmedical.com/outlet-plug-lock-P-9682.htm

Suggestions to raise a big stink are quite counter-productive IMO. They don't even have to allow the CordMate to be attached to their system. The hidden nanny cam ideas are best. Find who it is, and then decide how to treat it.

ilikeme
Premium
Sugar Land, TX

They are actually the ones that provided the cord mate system in the first place. We are looking into the nanny cam options also.

ilikeme
Premium
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to ilikeme

Here a little update to the story. My mom actually talked to the president of the facility and he has stated that their maintenance team will actually be installing a "lock box" of some sort on that outlet and that the nursing staff will not have access to it. Ill post some sort of update and maybe a pic of what they actually install once it is done.

Also, my mom mentioned to me that she is on some sort of family committee and the facility was recently reported to what ever state agency is in charge of monitoring these facilities for quite a number of violations, mainly medication errors and not responding to resident calls, especially overnight. There was a large audit from the state few weeks ago because of it. She might be letting them know about this also.
--

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

said by ilikeme:

and not responding to resident calls, especially overnight.

Surprise, surprise - of course they don't respond ! They turn off ALL of the resident's call devices !

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink

said by Hall:

Surprise, surprise - of course they don't respond ! They turn off ALL of the resident's call devices !

My parents had a close friend that died as a result of nursing staff negligence and failure to respond promptly. He was on a diuretic and was in the hospital for tests. He complained to his wife that the nursing staff did not respond quickly when he pressed the call button to be helped to the bathroom, so he went to the bathroom without assistance. The next night a nurse criticized him in front of his wife for not waiting for a staff member to assist him to go to the bathroom. That night a nurse put the side rails up to prevent him from going to the bathroom with out assistance. The other patient in the room reported that no one responded when he activated the nurse call. He finally was unable to wait, tried to climb over the rail, fell, fractured his skull and died. Of course there was a lawsuit, investigation and damage award to his wife all because of the nursing staffs negligence.

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
reply to ilikeme

Put super glue on the plastic face of the plug that touches the plastic front of the outlet.

Then also put a few drops of Methylene Blue on top of the plug so that it will get on the skin of anyone that touches it. Now I do understand that gloves are plentiful in these places but if you notice a glove with blue on it in the trash you can have fingerprints lifted from that glove's inside.
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

ilikeme
Premium
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to Hall

said by Hall:

said by ilikeme:

and not responding to resident calls, especially overnight.

No kidding. I wouldn't be surprised if the call device issue was actually part of the problem that got reported to the state. My mom told me they did install some sort of "metal device" over the outlet today and that you now have to have a screwdriver to remove the plugs. I have not seen it yet but will get a pic when I do.
--