Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

Just a reminder - Evict the dust bunnies!

Wow.... I just spent the past two hours dismantling, cleaning, and rebuilding my son's PC. It sits in the living room, on a elevated platform off the floor. (about 4"). I noticed the collection of dust on the front, so I broke out all my tools and started cleaning. Took the system down to the bare essentials.. left the motherboard in, but pulled the video card, drives, fans, PSU, etc etc. Cleaned the CPU HSF, GPU HSF, dusted the case out, cleaned the fans, opened the PSU up (it's a older one, out of warranty) and cleaned it out. Pulled the front panel and cleaned all the "filters" out.

Wow... A lot of crap... and, sadly, I don't have compressed air... just a paint brush and rags. Did a good job, though.

One thing I did do. This system has four fans (five if you count the GPU and CPU HSF's). The PSU fan blows out. There are three other fans, two 120mm, and one 80mm. The two 120's blew out, and the 80 blew in. This made the case negative. I switched one of the 120's to blow in (by the CPU HSF), so it blows down into the case, past the CPU HSF, and then out through the other 120. I will look at the system in a couple of weeks to see if this has cut down on the dust bunnies or not.

All I know is I am confiscating the old 3M "toner" vac that has been sitting in our office storage unit. Just have to buy a hose for it. (It's one of those anti-static vacs.)
--
"F is for Fire that burns down the whole town...
U is for Uranium...... Bombs...
N is for NO SURVIVORS!!!!!" Sheldon Plankton

Keep Calm and Carry A Glock

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

Click for full size
Silverstone Fan Filters
Click for full size
Metro Data Vac
All you need are these, and you'll have a spotless PC indefinitely....

»www.amazon.com/Silverstone-Tek-F···n+filter

»www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED50···data+vac

jap
Premium
join:2003-08-10
038xx
reply to neonhomer

Electric leaf blower or the detachable moter/blower of a shop vac are great for blowing out old PC cases. Only cautionary note is over-rotating the various fans with direct sustained high-volume air. I do it but only because I've a drawer full of matching replacement fans.

Gas blowers and compressed air (unless filtered) has too much moisture & oil in their airstream. Not good.

Billy Brethr

join:2005-04-01
San Antonio, TX
reply to neonhomer

I take my 5 hp Rigid shop-vac, reverse the hose, set the open computer in the middle of the driveway and let 'er rip. A leaf blower will also do the job. Watch aiming the blast directly at the fans, or if you are a fainting and delicate flower, you can pin the fans from moving by using something like duct tape or chewing gum.

The operation only gets tedious when I have to clean the nicotine-laden goo left behind by people that haven't died from lung cancer yet. That requires 90% alcohol, Q-tips and a couple of hours.

computerman2
Premium
join:2002-04-20
Rockwood, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·AT&T Midwest
reply to neonhomer

That reminds me gotta start cleaning soon Mom's Desktop PC and my Desktop PC but since i'm not good at putting CPU Heatsinks back on the processor, probably just will clean the Heatsinks fan with Compressed air (all I have), plus Case fans and GPU Not sure i'm comfortable taking Power supply apart to clean inside that--a lot of voltage there.

But will clean the systems in a few days as best I can.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Ghastlyone

I got one of these:

»www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006T5···F8&psc=1

And it works beautifully. Unfortunately, my wife already uses dust filters so only the smallest stuff gets into the GPU and CPU heat sinks. I vacuumed the inside of the computer, but the fine micro dust was so thick that I was scraping it off the fan blades and heatsinks with my fingers. I now have to take the CPU heat sink completely off and run it through the dishwasher or use some other high-pressure sprayer to remove the dust from between the fins.

Aaand that's why I don't keep my computer on the floor. I have it on one of these: »www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZH···F8&psc=1
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

What are some tips for preventing dust from accumulating and removing dust on the open air (no case) rigs we use for mining?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Keep it off the floor. I am toying with the idea of creating an acrylic/plexiglass case for my mining rig, where I have four 200/230mm input fans with dust filters over them and a single 200/230mm output fan at the top into a dryer vent that can be piped outdoors during the summer, or inside during the winter.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

Yes, mine is off the floor. It is built in to a metal cart. Mine is too big to encase. I hear you though, I would like to vent mine outside too.