spc
Search similar:

uniqs

cwozniak
join:2000-03-31
Mchenry, IL

1 edit

cwozniak

[Audio] How to turn off Audio Descriptions (SAP) on a PA pr150bnm STB?

I recorded the Feb 28th episode of "Shark Tank" on my Xfinity px001anm DVR STB. I tried to watch the program in another room using an pr150bnm STB this evening. I noticed that there was a voice-over describing what was happening on the screen; things like, "Two women enter and one of them is holding the hand of a little girl in purple pajamas" and "Sharks circling overhead". The TV is hooked up using composite video and stereo audio. I checked the same program on the TV hooked up to the DVR and it did not have the extra audio.

An on-line search resulted in finding out that Shark Tank is using Video Descriptions on the Secondary Audio Channel (»www.comcast.com/videodescription). I can't seem to find an option to turn it off in my device settings. The Audio Settings menu shows English as being checked and other foreign languages unchecked. The only other audio choice I could find was Surround / Stereo and Stereo is selected.

A call to tech support resulted in the person not being able to find a solution and escalating the issue with a promise of a call back within 24 hours.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew

Premium Member

Did you check your tv settings?

cwozniak
Mchenry, IL

cwozniak

How could a TV setting matter? The audio from the STB is coming into the TV as analog left and right audio channels. The extra commentary is all ready in the analog audio when it leaves the cable box.

Cheeseman
@comcast.net

Cheeseman to cwozniak

Anon

to cwozniak
»forums.comcast.com/t5/Ch ··· /1406177

cwozniak
Mchenry, IL

cwozniak

I went through those settings before I called support and again with the support person on the phone. As mentioned in my original post, the language option is all ready set to English. We did go to Spanish and back to English and I was still getting the descriptive audio. I may try seeing what the Spanish setting does when I get home today.

EricL
@4.34.69.x

EricL

Anon

I have this same problem. Recorded 4 eps of NCIS and NCIS:LA. When I watch them on the main x1 dvr, they are fine. If I go to another room and watch them on the slave receiver, I get the SAP descriptions.

Another problem I have is some shows have absolutely no audio when watched on the slave and are fine when watched on main DVR.

I would appreciate if someone could exlpain this. Tech support no help.
Botfly
Premium Member
join:2013-10-23
U.S.A

Botfly

Premium Member

I just expierenced that. I did every known troubleshooting method in the book. I came to a couple conclusions. The techs that came out never swapped out the brand new DVR. After third tech visit, the tech put in the new DVR. This resolved the no audio recordings on the clients. Also, make sure that the DVR is using the component and or hdmi. The DVR knows if you are using component for like a slingbox and hdmi for the tv. If you use this method, your DVR will not have audio every time you put it on. Beware though, if you plan on getting a sling box and want a x1 DVR with component, I would get it swapped now and make sure the x1 has component because new x1 dvr does not have components.

bryank
join:2000-03-23
Plainfield, IL

bryank to EricL

to EricL
said by EricL :

I have this same problem. Recorded 4 eps of NCIS and NCIS:LA. When I watch them on the main x1 dvr, they are fine. If I go to another room and watch them on the slave receiver, I get the SAP descriptions.

Same exact thing here, I am rebooting my box now and seeing what happens.

cwozniak
Mchenry, IL

cwozniak

I signed up on Comcast's support forums and posted the problem. It's a known problem for at least a month with no permanent solution at the moment. A possible work around is to try changing the language to something other than English (like French or German) on the slave box.

»forums.comcast.com/t5/X1 ··· 5#M11677
cwozniak

cwozniak

I had a Comcast employee reply in the Comcast forums that switching to French is the only way to work around the problem at the moment.
cwozniak

cwozniak

On March 26th, I received two automated calls from Comcast to inform me that the problem was corrected. I checked it out today and was able to switch to back to English as my language choice and I did not get the extra commentary.

I noticed that the drop down list of languages did not include any mention of using the additional commentary. I wonder if the fix broke the feature for those visually impaired Comcast customers that wanted to use it.

flwpwr
@comcast.net

flwpwr to cwozniak

Anon

to cwozniak
This is a known issue in the moca for X1 and possibly legacy Anyroom service. It will have to be fixed in firmware eventually, not much is known at this time, but it is a known issue. See if you can find it ondemand perhaps in the mean time.