Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious to howardfine

Premium Member

to howardfine

Re: 6 hours to update Windows 7

Not sure what was up with your situation but I just applied 150+ updates (for a fresh W7 install) in less than 4 hours...
lmacmil
join:2001-01-26
South Bend, IN

lmacmil to howardfine

to howardfine
said by howardfine:

After sitting in the corner for 6+ months, Windows 7 needed updating. The updates were many and took forever. When they started failing, I found out about a KB requiring an 800MB executable to fix security issues from just a couple weeks ago. The ongoing onslaught of update upon update had me tearing my hair out. "Two updates left!", I told her.

Reboot. Run Windows Update. "Nine updates more!".

Six hours, folks. Six hours.

After trying Windows 8 and not liking it, I went back to 7 with a fresh install. I think mine took more than 6 hours. After the initial install (which took over an hour), there were 2 or 3 rounds of updates (each one 800MB to 1GB in size) to finally get it up to 7.1. I was on a wireless connection so that slowed things down a bit and my computer is 5 years old so it's not the fastest either. Luckily I probably spent less than 1 hour of the total actually doing anything. On the plus side, it's running a lot better than my 5 year old Windows 7 was running so it will all be forgotten in a few days.