spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Farley11

@scansafe.net

[HVAC] Condensing unit problems

Just had the fan motor replaced by a certified repairman. Everything worked as it should and I asked him how loud it was when it came on because our unit is very close to our neighbor's bedroom window. While the unit was running, he pulled the breaker from the disconnect box and put it back in to show me how loud it was. Now the fan will slowly spin but the condesor will not come on. You can hear it trying to work for a split second then it fails. He was saying there was a some sort of overload trip meter thingy that won't trip back to where it should be. What are my options? He said let it sit overnight to see if it will cool off and come back on. This morning it was doing the same thing. When the thermostat is turned off, the unit is still receiving power for some reason and this has him scratching his head. I'm thinking that whatever piece of equipment stops the flow of electricity to the unit has failed and needs to be replaced. If I am correct, will this probably solve my problem?

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
This is a "certified repairman" Hardly. "Let it set overnight and see if it will cool off". What is he certified in? BS?

Farley11

@scansafe.net
Thanks for your concern but this doesn't address the issue at hand.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
It most certainly does. There is no such fault that "letting it cool overnight" will correct.

Your Certified repairman is feeding you some BS. He should be telling you exactly why the unit won't run and what is needed to get it to run. So yes it does address the issue.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
reply to Farley11
He likely blew the capacitor(s) on the fan (and possibly the) condenser. What an a-hole. Call the place back and have them send out a different tech who will fix it.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Or blew the fuse or tripped the circuit breaker for the unit. At any rate any service tech should be able to determine in just a couple of minutes why the unit won't run.

+1 on a different "certified Tech".

Farley11

@scansafe.net
reply to Jack_in_VA
No, I am the one guessing what is needed to make it run. He is coming back out to fix it but I think my line of thinking is correct. He is a friend of the family who used to do this for a living. He is charging me very little for labor. He had the issue resolved but made a poor decision by pulling the breaker while the unit was running. Units do overheat and trip breakers so the cooling off theory may not be as far fetched as you seem to think it is. While we are speaking of resolving the issue that you appear to be knowledgeable in, do you have anything to add or are you just going to keep repeating how bad this repairman is? My only concern is getting this corrected efficiently and as cheap as possible.

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27
said by Farley11 :

My only concern is getting this corrected efficiently and as cheap as possible.

It's usually either one or the other.

said by Farley11 :

He is a friend of the family who used to do this for a living.

That's your problem number #2.
----
My guess is that you don't have enough expertise to do anything about it, the problem is not "diagnosable" over the internet and your "friend of the family" clearly f***ed it up and sounds like doesn't have the tools necessary to determine the cause.

What's most likely going to happen now is he will start changing out parts at random hoping that something will work, and in the end your idea of "as cheap as possible" is going to go out the window.

Go on Angie's list, find one of those deals where an HVAC company will diagnose the problem for a small fee (pre-paid deals usually), and then make a decision on how to address it. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

iknow_t

join:2012-05-03
reply to Farley11
you can't "blow" good capacitors by pulling the breaker. normal power co. interruptions are more severe in that sense. it probably needs a new start capacitor on the compressor, and the contactor cleaned or replaced. the contactor is what turns the compressor on/off with the signal from the thermostat. also, I'll bet it says "Made in Mexico" on the capacitor.

Farley11

@scansafe.net
reply to Dodge
The problem with him not fixing it last night was in my opinion because he was at my house until 10 pm fixing my original problem (he does this type of stuff after he leaves his full time job) and he didn't have the part with him to fix what he thinks is wrong with it. He is a very smart guy and I wanted to punch him when he pulled the breaker while the unit was running. I'm fairly mechanically inclined and used to do electrical work when I was younger. I could be wrong but when you trip something inside of anything, the power must be killed in order for it to reset. The unit is getting constant power and I think when he pulled the breaker and pushed it back in he fried whatever it is that stops the electrical current. I'm just trying to learn what I can. Thanks for you reply.

Farley11

@scansafe.net
reply to iknow_t
I don't know what it's called but the electrical component that is mounted on the outside of the unit where the wires come into the unit from the house was replaced. I'm thinking that got fried when all this took place. He is going to replace that part and see if that fixes it.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to Farley11
said by Farley11 :

He had the issue resolved but made a poor decision by pulling the breaker while the unit was running. Units do overheat and trip breakers so the cooling off theory may not be as far fetched as you seem to think it is. While we are speaking of resolving the issue that you appear to be knowledgeable in, do you have anything to add or are you just going to keep repeating how bad this repairman is? My only concern is getting this corrected efficiently and as cheap as possible.

Pulling the breaker or disconnect at the unit will not cause any problems and yes I will repeat that a competent service tech would know within a couple of minutes what the problem is. Service techs pull them all the time when working on units and they don't require a "cool off' before being operational again. I am knowledgeable enough to know the "cooling off" is nothing more than BS to placate you.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 recommendation

reply to Farley11
said by Farley11 :

I don't know what it's called but the electrical component that is mounted on the outside of the unit where the wires come into the unit from the house was replaced. I'm thinking that got fried when all this took place. He is going to replace that part and see if that fixes it.

He thinks it's bad? He doesn't know? You really need to get someone who is competent in this field.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to Farley11
said by Farley11 :

You don't replace something and see if that fixes, you diagnose the problem and replace the defective part(s).
Someone knowledgeable will get a schematic and trace the problem as a first step.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by cowboyro:

said by Farley11 :

You don't replace something and see if that fixes, you diagnose the problem and replace the defective part(s).
Someone knowledgeable will get a schematic and trace the problem as a first step.

Someone knowledgeable will likely be able to determine the problem very easily.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to Farley11
This post truly shows how ignorant you are about how these things work.

Lots of things can trip and reset themselves without a power reset.
Expand your moderator at work

Farley11

@scansafe.net
reply to cowboyro

Re: [HVAC] Condensing unit problems

He has never seen this before and he's did this for a living for over 20 years. He does not understand how the unit is still getting power when it is turned off. I think he is thinking the same as me about the part that allows the current to the unit is malfunctioning.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by Farley11 :

He has never seen this before and he's did this for a living for over 20 years. He does not understand how the unit is still getting power when it is turned off. I think he is thinking the same as me about the part that allows the current to the unit is malfunctioning.

If he does not understand this after working on these for 20 years making a living doing so clearly indicates he has no business working on electrical whether Heat Pumps or any other electrical equipment. If he thinks it's turned off and it still has power then he better stay far away from it.

Farley11

@scansafe.net
Do you just post in some vane attempt to increase your post count? I can verify the power is turned off and the unit is still getting juice. Now unless you have something of value to add to the discussion, please stay off this thread.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to Farley11
said by Farley11 :

said by Farley11 :

Just had the fan motor replaced by a certified repairman.

I'm a little confused. What exactly was replaced? Can you post a pic of the electrical component mounted on the outside of the unit.

said by Farley11 :

he pulled the breaker from the disconnect box

You have stated that he pulled the breaker in many of your posts. What he actually pulled was probably just a disconnect.

said by Farley11 :

When the thermostat is turned off, the unit is still receiving power for some reason and this has him scratching his head.

Can you give us more info on this. Did he test the power with a meter? Where did he test the power? Was it getting the correct voltage?

Farley11

@scansafe.net
"I'm a little confused. What exactly was replaced? Can you post a pic of the electrical component mounted on the outside of the unit."

No pic at the moment as I am at work but it was the big fan inside the unit. The fan and the motor.

"Can you give us more info on this. Did he test the power with a meter? Where did he test the power? Was it getting the correct voltage?"

He tested it with a meter. I'm not sure where he tested it but he said the voltage was a little high and also stated that is a sign that the compressor is on its last legs but can last much longer if properly maintained.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to Farley11
Farly with all due respect do not attempt to tell me to post or not. Perhaps you should just go elsewhere with your problem since you clearly don't want a solution to the inept troubleshooting and repair of your unit. Remember you came on here with a problem and apparently you don't want to listen to the possibility your friend might just not be as knowledgeable and experienced as you think .

Bottom line Farley is a HVAC Technician would be able to determine very easily why the unit won't run and what it will take to get it running without guessing.

He cut the power yet there is still power? Evidently he didn't cut the power. That is when people get killed.

Farley11

@scansafe.net
I'm starting to question your intellect. I came in here with a problem in hopes to get some feedback for a solution. Instead, all you can come up with is that the man I chose to help me fix it is an idiot basically. Now explain to me how the ineptitude of this individual has anything to do with helping ME find a solution. You offered no helpful input whatsoever. I'm betting if I could read your post history it would be full of "that guy is an idiot!" or "Get a second opinion!" While your comments may ring true, it does not help me in any way shape or form. I asked for HELP and you only offer OPINIONS on a man you don't even know.

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX
reply to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

He cut the power yet there is still power? Evidently he didn't cut the power. That is when people get killed.

The OP didn't say that the tech cut the power yet there was still power. I quote
said by Farley11 :

When the thermostat is turned off, the unit is still receiving power for some reason and this has him scratching his head.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 edit
reply to Farley11
said by Farley11 :

Now explain to me how the ineptitude of this individual has anything to do with helping ME find a solution.

If you had a competent technician then you would have long found the source of your problem and the solution to it and most likely you would be happily back on line with your equipment.

Don't be questioning my intellect given your posts on this. I know how to troubleshoot a problem with an HVAC unit and how to repair it.

Farley11

@mycingular.net
Fact: I asked for help and you offered none. All you did was restate your opinion 4 different times. If this guy dies in the next minute my problem still exists. I know, let's try this. Assume I never mentioned a repairman in my OP. If you do this perhaps you will learn how to properly help those who come to this forum for answers and not opinions.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

Just had the fan motor replaced by a certified repairman. Everything worked as it should and I asked him how loud it was when it came on because our unit is very close to our neighbor's bedroom window. While the unit was running, he pulled the breaker from the disconnect box and put it back in to show me how loud it was. Now the fan will slowly spin but the condesor will not come on. You can hear it trying to work for a split second then it fails. He was saying there was a some sort of overload trip meter thingy that won't trip back to where it should be. What are my options?He said let it sit overnight to see if it will cool off and come back on. This morning it was doing the same thing. When the thermostat is turned off, the unit is still receiving power for some reason and this has him scratching his head I'm thinking that whatever piece of equipment stops the flow of electricity to the unit has failed and needs to be replaced. If I am correct, will this probably solve my problem?

This is you quote from your first post here. I'm going to continue to tell you that this person is not a competent HVAC Tech IMO as he should have been able to identify the problem and what to do to fix it to get you back in service.

Given you are taking a hardhead stance on this and refuse to consider getting a qualified repair tech to troubleshoot and repair your problem I'm done with it.

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX

1 edit
reply to Farley11
said by Farley11 :

This is probably the contactor that you are referring to. That would be my first guess of the problem part which is keeping the power on. However this doesn't solve the problem of the fan running slowly or the compressor not starting. If the tech didn't replace the capacitor when he replaced the fan then that could be the problem. There are actually two of them (one for the fan and one for the compressor), but many times they are combined into one part. There could also be a loose wire as a result of working on the unit. I would replace both of those parts first. They may very well solve the problems.

Farley11

@mycingular.net
reply to Jack_in_VA
That input does not help my current situation. Please be done with me.