how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Farley11

@scansafe.net
reply to iknow_t

Re: [HVAC] Condensing unit problems

I don't know what it's called but the electrical component that is mounted on the outside of the unit where the wires come into the unit from the house was replaced. I'm thinking that got fried when all this took place. He is going to replace that part and see if that fixes it.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 recommendation

said by Farley11 :

I don't know what it's called but the electrical component that is mounted on the outside of the unit where the wires come into the unit from the house was replaced. I'm thinking that got fried when all this took place. He is going to replace that part and see if that fixes it.

He thinks it's bad? He doesn't know? You really need to get someone who is competent in this field.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to Farley11

said by Farley11 :

You don't replace something and see if that fixes, you diagnose the problem and replace the defective part(s).
Someone knowledgeable will get a schematic and trace the problem as a first step.

Farley11

@scansafe.net

He has never seen this before and he's did this for a living for over 20 years. He does not understand how the unit is still getting power when it is turned off. I think he is thinking the same as me about the part that allows the current to the unit is malfunctioning.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to cowboyro

said by cowboyro:

said by Farley11 :

You don't replace something and see if that fixes, you diagnose the problem and replace the defective part(s).
Someone knowledgeable will get a schematic and trace the problem as a first step.

Someone knowledgeable will likely be able to determine the problem very easily.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to Farley11

said by Farley11 :

He has never seen this before and he's did this for a living for over 20 years. He does not understand how the unit is still getting power when it is turned off. I think he is thinking the same as me about the part that allows the current to the unit is malfunctioning.

If he does not understand this after working on these for 20 years making a living doing so clearly indicates he has no business working on electrical whether Heat Pumps or any other electrical equipment. If he thinks it's turned off and it still has power then he better stay far away from it.

Farley11

@scansafe.net

Do you just post in some vane attempt to increase your post count? I can verify the power is turned off and the unit is still getting juice. Now unless you have something of value to add to the discussion, please stay off this thread.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to Farley11

said by Farley11 :

said by Farley11 :

Just had the fan motor replaced by a certified repairman.

I'm a little confused. What exactly was replaced? Can you post a pic of the electrical component mounted on the outside of the unit.

said by Farley11 :

he pulled the breaker from the disconnect box

You have stated that he pulled the breaker in many of your posts. What he actually pulled was probably just a disconnect.

said by Farley11 :

When the thermostat is turned off, the unit is still receiving power for some reason and this has him scratching his head.

Can you give us more info on this. Did he test the power with a meter? Where did he test the power? Was it getting the correct voltage?

Farley11

@scansafe.net

"I'm a little confused. What exactly was replaced? Can you post a pic of the electrical component mounted on the outside of the unit."

No pic at the moment as I am at work but it was the big fan inside the unit. The fan and the motor.

"Can you give us more info on this. Did he test the power with a meter? Where did he test the power? Was it getting the correct voltage?"

He tested it with a meter. I'm not sure where he tested it but he said the voltage was a little high and also stated that is a sign that the compressor is on its last legs but can last much longer if properly maintained.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to Farley11

Farly with all due respect do not attempt to tell me to post or not. Perhaps you should just go elsewhere with your problem since you clearly don't want a solution to the inept troubleshooting and repair of your unit. Remember you came on here with a problem and apparently you don't want to listen to the possibility your friend might just not be as knowledgeable and experienced as you think .

Bottom line Farley is a HVAC Technician would be able to determine very easily why the unit won't run and what it will take to get it running without guessing.

He cut the power yet there is still power? Evidently he didn't cut the power. That is when people get killed.

Farley11

@scansafe.net

I'm starting to question your intellect. I came in here with a problem in hopes to get some feedback for a solution. Instead, all you can come up with is that the man I chose to help me fix it is an idiot basically. Now explain to me how the ineptitude of this individual has anything to do with helping ME find a solution. You offered no helpful input whatsoever. I'm betting if I could read your post history it would be full of "that guy is an idiot!" or "Get a second opinion!" While your comments may ring true, it does not help me in any way shape or form. I asked for HELP and you only offer OPINIONS on a man you don't even know.

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX
reply to Jack_in_VA

said by Jack_in_VA:

He cut the power yet there is still power? Evidently he didn't cut the power. That is when people get killed.

The OP didn't say that the tech cut the power yet there was still power. I quote
said by Farley11 :

When the thermostat is turned off, the unit is still receiving power for some reason and this has him scratching his head.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 edit
reply to Farley11

said by Farley11 :

Now explain to me how the ineptitude of this individual has anything to do with helping ME find a solution.

If you had a competent technician then you would have long found the source of your problem and the solution to it and most likely you would be happily back on line with your equipment.

Don't be questioning my intellect given your posts on this. I know how to troubleshoot a problem with an HVAC unit and how to repair it.

Farley11

@mycingular.net

Fact: I asked for help and you offered none. All you did was restate your opinion 4 different times. If this guy dies in the next minute my problem still exists. I know, let's try this. Assume I never mentioned a repairman in my OP. If you do this perhaps you will learn how to properly help those who come to this forum for answers and not opinions.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

Just had the fan motor replaced by a certified repairman. Everything worked as it should and I asked him how loud it was when it came on because our unit is very close to our neighbor's bedroom window. While the unit was running, he pulled the breaker from the disconnect box and put it back in to show me how loud it was. Now the fan will slowly spin but the condesor will not come on. You can hear it trying to work for a split second then it fails. He was saying there was a some sort of overload trip meter thingy that won't trip back to where it should be. What are my options?He said let it sit overnight to see if it will cool off and come back on. This morning it was doing the same thing. When the thermostat is turned off, the unit is still receiving power for some reason and this has him scratching his head I'm thinking that whatever piece of equipment stops the flow of electricity to the unit has failed and needs to be replaced. If I am correct, will this probably solve my problem?

This is you quote from your first post here. I'm going to continue to tell you that this person is not a competent HVAC Tech IMO as he should have been able to identify the problem and what to do to fix it to get you back in service.

Given you are taking a hardhead stance on this and refuse to consider getting a qualified repair tech to troubleshoot and repair your problem I'm done with it.

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX

1 edit
reply to Farley11

said by Farley11 :

This is probably the contactor that you are referring to. That would be my first guess of the problem part which is keeping the power on. However this doesn't solve the problem of the fan running slowly or the compressor not starting. If the tech didn't replace the capacitor when he replaced the fan then that could be the problem. There are actually two of them (one for the fan and one for the compressor), but many times they are combined into one part. There could also be a loose wire as a result of working on the unit. I would replace both of those parts first. They may very well solve the problems.

Farley11

@mycingular.net
reply to Jack_in_VA

That input does not help my current situation. Please be done with me.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to robbin

A slowly / erratic running fan motor while the contactor is in the OFF position may be the result of a motor winding short-circuiting to ground. This happens only with single pole (or 1.5 pole) contactors since only one of the two hot legs is actually shut off.

I found that out on my own AC unit.

A competent HVAC repairman would be familiar with the fairly common single pole contactors and the fact that the condensing unit remains energized (one hot leg) even with the contactor being OFF.

Farley, while I don't always agree with Jack (and fully disagree with him on infinite ohms on multimeters), he is correct to warn you about the qualifications of your repair person.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX

said by leibold:

A slowly / erratic running fan motor while the contactor is in the OFF position may be the result of a motor winding short-circuiting to ground. This happens only with single pole (or 1.5 pole) contactors since only one of the two hot legs is actually shut off.

True, but that wouldn't explain the compressor not starting.

Regarding the repair person, I find totally understandable that when a new problem cropped up working for a friend after work at 10 pm and not having the parts they think are needed to pack it up for the night. As far what the tech thinks is wrong, the OP clearly does not have a working knowledge of the parts and what they are called so it is also understandable if we are not getting a clear accounting of what was said.

said by Farley11 :

The problem with him not fixing it last night was in my opinion because he was at my house until 10 pm fixing my original problem (he does this type of stuff after he leaves his full time job) and he didn't have the part with him to fix what he thinks is wrong with it.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to Farley11

said by Farley11 :

He has never seen this before and he's did this for a living for over 20 years. He does not understand how the unit is still getting power when it is turned off.

Turned off as in breaker off or as in thermostat off? Because there is a big difference. And if the unit is getting power with the breaker off then either the correct breaker is still on or there is a major wiring issue in the house which requires a competent electrician ASAP.
And what is he using to check for power? Please don't tell me a digital multimeter....

LittleBill

join:2013-05-24

1 recommendation

said by cowboyro:

said by Farley11 :

He has never seen this before and he's did this for a living for over 20 years. He does not understand how the unit is still getting power when it is turned off.

Turned off as in breaker off or as in thermostat off? Because there is a big difference. And if the unit is getting power with the breaker off then either the correct breaker is still on or there is a major wiring issue in the house which requires a competent electrician ASAP.
And what is he using to check for power? Please don't tell me a digital multimeter....

exactly what kind of meter should he be using? a digital multimeter is more then correct to check for voltage presence

also most compressors have a limit switch to deal with a compressor lockup, that will drop out if it hits, they generally reset in minutes not hours, thus not damaging the compressor

what exactly do you do if the power goes out while its running? the unit just fries? no it just trips out

alot of weird help on this one

\

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

said by LittleBill:

exactly what kind of meter should he be using?

A high impedance digital meter may give the false impression of a voltage being present through inductive / capacitive coupling. A simple voltage tester is more useful in troubleshooting since its own load will cause that phantom voltage to collapse.

I'm still using an ancient Siemens voltage tester that looks very much like this one (different brand, different trigger voltage for the neon indicators). It has two LEDs to indicate the polarity of DC voltages or to indicate AC if both are lit. The neon lights give a rough idea about the voltage level.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!