Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Winchester, CA

Direct TV SSID boradcasting strong in house.

Installed a customer yesterday and put in some UBNT Unfi AP's customer had zero wireless access points before. They are working well but we see a very strong broadcast with SSID=DIRECT-eiM262x 282x series.

I Cant seem to locate the equipment to disable it so its not confusing the customer. They do have direct TV and all I see is the typical splitter, and SWM module and that's it besides the sat boxes at each TV looks like they have whole house NVR with genie setup.

Is it the SAT boxes transmitting? signal is like -60 throughout the whole house. Anyone else seen this so I can poke around some more with any new info.

Thanks
--
»www.accelwireless.com
ComTrain Certified Tower Climber.
Wireless and IT consultant.
Proficient in Mikrotik

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-15
none

sounds like they have a HR44 and C41 clients. the clients for the Genie whole home DVR are wireless, so unless they have it changed to wired you cannot disable it.
--
Lack of Preparation on YOUR Part does NOT Constitute an Emergency on Mine!

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Winchester, CA

Okay no big deal then they will have to live with it. they did not contract me to upgrade cabling in the house which there is none. We added cable for a single UBNT UnFi AP and that covers the whole house just fine even with the other Direct unit broadcasting.. I am done crawling in rat infested and cat crap house from hell!

How do people live like this the smell is horrid! and now my truck smells like cat piss after yesterday crawling around in the attic and garage.. UGHHHH BUT Hey the internet is fast now hahaha
--
»www.accelwireless.com
ComTrain Certified Tower Climber.
Wireless and IT consultant.
Proficient in Mikrotik

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

"How do people live like this the smell is horrid! and now my truck smells like cat piss after yesterday crawling around in the attic and garage"

I changed my MO after a job similar to yours
I did the roof signal quality check which was good then went inside to see where we are going to.

One step in the door and the stench hit.
There was a pile of empty cat food cans waist high and cats EVERYWHERE.
I bailed on the job, kind of rude but I never wanted to be there ever again

Now I go inside first and if too nasty, their signal levels are not good enough, sorry, bye bye...

thewisperer
Premium
join:2008-01-16

have u beat: I got up the roof once and smelled urine and garbage coming from the vent up there (both attic and plumbing vent)

I had los but I knocked on the door (once opened the smell was worse) and I told them there was an interference problem.

Which it was!

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to viperm

Here is a nice tool to view info about near by SSIDs.

When I got it it was free for pc and $5 for Mac version (which was all around nicer tool + displayed 5gig APs).
Now seems to be $20 for either.

»inssider.com

raytaylor

join:2009-07-28
kudos:1

Old version 3 is the one you want - should still be floating around and free somewhere