Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms

Wordfence alternative

I was happily using Wordfence on a wordpress site. Worked great for quite some time. My provider (Surpass Hosting) moved me to a different server, and Wordfence shit the bed.
I'm on a legacy shared hosting plan. They limit the memory fairly low (48M). I'm pretty sure this is what's killing Wordfence.

I've been with Surpass for quite some time. We've had our ups and downs, but I feel like they have made some good changes. I'm on a very reasonably priced plan. Before jumping hosting providers, I was wanting to see if somebody could recommend a "smaller" security plugin that will run on a shared host.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

Clever_Proxy
Premium
join:2004-05-14
Villa Park, IL
I haven't seen anything better than Wordfence. While I find it believable that only 48M would kill it, I wouldn't be certain that's the issue.

Does your provider let you take a look at the apache error logs?

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
Surpass actually raised it to 64M last night, and (so far) it seems to be working now. I also found out last night the NextGen gallery was flaking out due to the low PHP memory allowance.
--

Clever_Proxy
Premium
join:2004-05-14
Villa Park, IL
Oh cool. I would still seek out logs if possible. If PHP is running into OOM issues, it should show up there.

If that's a production system that's under a decent load, you may want to consider upgrading to a VPS at some point.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
It's not very high volume at all. If I knew a little more about email servers, I would probably host it at home.
--