spc
uniqs
mrsdrgn
join:2014-02-13
usa

mrsdrgn to gene32

to gene32

Re: Really horrible U-Verse TV PQ.

I just got UVerse TV a month ago I was worried that the PQ is not going to be good. But, I have both Directv and UVerse TV and my PQ on UVerse is the same as Directv. I guess I am one of the 1% lucky ones because I have the FTTP and Cat5 connection. I have 4 HD receivers, 24/5 internet and voice. The HD PQ streams between 7500kbps and 9200kbps. So it all depends of the type of connections that you have to your home. But the fiber optic to the house definitely makes a big difference. Maybe if you are on FTTN connection than yes UVerse TV PQ sucks. So far it works for me. UVerse internet is very solid.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

I'm on FTTN with Power Tier and I have no issues with uVerse picture quality. It may not be the best picture quality but neither was Time Warner in my area. I really only have two choices for TV in my area; uVerse and Time Warner Cable. There is WOW but I've heard such horrible things about them that I dare not even look at them.

TWC was packing the HD channels on the wire and by that they were packing sometimes as many as three to four HD channels into one QAM. Generally it's best to only put one (optimum) or two but three or four channels in one QAM forces the MPEG2 encoders to really compress the shit out of the HD feed.

Like I said, it may not be the best but it's more than sufficient for my needs. As long as the explosions on Mythbusters look decent I don't care.
Merlin37
join:2012-06-08
Dallas, TX

Merlin37 to mrsdrgn

to mrsdrgn
said by mrsdrgn:

I just got UVerse TV a month ago I was worried that the PQ is not going to be good. But, I have both Directv and UVerse TV and my PQ on UVerse is the same as Directv. I guess I am one of the 1% lucky ones because I have the FTTP and Cat5 connection. I have 4 HD receivers, 24/5 internet and voice. The HD PQ streams between 7500kbps and 9200kbps. So it all depends of the type of connections that you have to your home. But the fiber optic to the house definitely makes a big difference. Maybe if you are on FTTN connection than yes UVerse TV PQ sucks. So far it works for me. UVerse internet is very solid.

There is no difference in PQ or HD stream bitrate between the FTTN and FTTP platforms. The only difference you would notice in a lower latency rate as the fiber loop transmits data faster than the copper loop. Even that is negligible in the end customer experience. The big bang for fiber is higher speed tier capability.
benk016
join:2011-06-05
Owasso, OK

benk016

said by Merlin37 See Profile
There is no difference in PQ or HD stream bitrate between the FTTN and FTTP platforms. The only difference you would notice in a lower latency rate as the fiber loop transmits data faster than the copper loop. Even that is negligible in the end customer experience. The big bang for fiber is higher speed tier capability.

And the extra overhead. I can watch all 4 HD streams and still get my 25mb internet speeds.
nephipower
join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX

nephipower to Merlin37

to Merlin37
said by Merlin37:

said by mrsdrgn:

How do we know there really aren't higher bitrate streams going to FTTP users?

When 24 mbit service was first being rollout out to FTTP users many were vehement about it only being limited to 18 mbits. Then eventually enough FTTP users were reporting that they were in fact able to sign up for 24 mbit service before they agreed.

mrsdrgn how do you know exactly what bitrate you are getting for your tv streams?
Paralel
join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US

Paralel

said by nephipower:

said by Merlin37:

said by mrsdrgn:

How do we know there really aren't higher bitrate streams going to FTTP users?

When 24 mbit service was first being rollout out to FTTP users many were vehement about it only being limited to 18 mbits. Then eventually enough FTTP users were reporting that they were in fact able to sign up for 24 mbit service before they agreed.

mrsdrgn how do you know exactly what bitrate you are getting for your tv streams?

Given that Merlin works for ATT, I'd say it's a safe bet he knows what he is talking about.
nephipower
join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX

nephipower

said by Paralel:

Given that Merlin works for ATT, I'd say it's a safe bet he knows what he is talking about.

Ah, I didn't know that

Still i'm curious as to mrsdrgn supposedly thought that he was getting 7-9 mbits tv streams
mrsdrgn
join:2014-02-13
usa

3 edits

mrsdrgn

I'm was only going by what the UVerse TV receiver system info is showing under Allocated managed memory. But I guess I did not know what allocated memory means. I did some research and learned about it. So no I don't really know. I thought that that is the speed that the channels is streamed at. Guess not. Sorry. But my HD PQ still looks great.
RDC17
join:2011-05-15
Vienna, VA

RDC17 to Paralel

to Paralel
UVerse HD PQ is fine for me but I can notice the macroblocking during fast movement. At my other house I have FiOS and the PQ beats UVerse hands down.

brookeKrige
join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

brookeKrige

Animated Mucinex commercial, "I love the smell of pollen in the morning": While the product box shakily erupts from the ground, may be an opportunity for a freeze frame to demonstrate compression artifacts.