All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
dolphin1
join:2014-02-28

dolphin1

Verizon FIOS Installation Question

FIOS will be coming over to the new house that we are going to be moving to. I previously had time warner road runner internet cable at my old place and when they installed it, they had to drill some holes in the wall and connect the wire to my computer which is a desktop.

When they install FIOS, i will need to have a computer there right in order for the internet to work? For example in order for my calbe internet to work, the wire has to be connectred to a computer whether desktop or laptop.

The thing is this. I will be bringing my laptop over. However, i will need the laptop with me and it wont be there anymore. Does that mean the internet won't work if someone wants to use the wifi if the FIOS wire or cable isn't connected to a computer of some sort?

Because if it does require it, i have a very old laptop that we never use anymore. Thus couldn't we just use that computer to have the wires installed to that way the wifi would work?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

The wireless router will work regardless of if a computer is plugged into it or not.

You will need at least 1 computer (wired or wireless) available for the tech to complete the installation.
dolphin1

dolphin1

okay so im going to bring my laptop there then. so when he does the installation, a cable wire of some sort will be connected to the laptop to do this installation and install the wifi correct?

So after this is all done, then no laptop would be connected and the wifi will still work. But if i wanted it wired connection, there will be a wire that connects it wired similar to how it is with my cable modem for our time warner road runner internet?

Another thing. Our new place has a basement, 1st floor and 2nd floor. We basically want the internet to be on the 2nd floor. So obviously when they come and install it, it will be done in the 2nd floor correct or is there a chance it might not work and they have to pick the 1st floor etc.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Are you getting internet only or internet/TV? Do you currently have TV through Time Warner? If so, are you keeping it?

They will install one box, the ONT, either outside or in your basement. If they place it outside, they will put another box, the BBU, indoors somewhere close. Then they'll hook into the existing time warner cable lines if they're sufficient quality and you're no longer using time warner for TV.

At that point, they can place the wireless router anywhere there is a cable hookup. So if your cable modem is currently on the 2nd floor, they can put it there if you want. If you do not have a cable line running to the location you want the router, you'll have to ask the tech to install one. They may or may charge for this - I'm not sure.

You do not need to plug the laptop directly into the wireless router to complete the installation. Everything can be done wirelessly. If you want to plug a computer directly into the router in the future, you'll just use a regular ethernet cable (like the one going from your current cable modem to your computer).
dolphin1

dolphin1

We are only getting verizon fios in the new location. At our current location where we will be moving from soon, all we have is time warner cable road runner internet... no tv. So we have a modem that we had to buy because time warner cable charged a monthly fee to rent their RCA modem. I also have a linksys wrt54g router so we have that connected to a desktop computer and thus desktop is wired... the laptops use the wifi.

The thing is they will just install that verizon wireless router which would act as both a modem and router correct and thus i wouldnt need to buy anything else? I mean i will bring my current wireless router there and the cable modem but i assume that doesnt work for the fios?

The reason why i ask if the fios wireless router could be put in 2nd floor is b/c i want the desktop to be connected to it wired. The other laptops use wifi but the main one i want it wired. Also i know you could do wired by connecting an ethernet cable from router to computer but thing is i wouldnt want like a 30 feet wire in the house through the floor etc if you get what i mean.

Time warner cable doesn't service in that area which is why we gettin FIOS...

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Ok, your first post was very confusing then / left out a lot of details.

If the new place is pre-wired for FiOS, then they'll place the router where it's most convenient (somewhere there's already a hook up). If they need to do a full installation, they'll usually place the router where you want if its reasonable. You'll have to work that out with the technician when he/she arrives.

The FiOS router replaces both your WRT54G and the cable modem (even though the FiOS router is technically not a modem). You won't need either of them anymore.
dolphin1

dolphin1

Hi thank you for that information. Yes it is already pre wired with FIOS.

The thing is this. If they put it the place where its most convenient... wouldn't it be not convenient for us if its in a place where i want the desktop computer to be at? I already know where i want the desktop computer to be at. Im aware u can get wired internet by connecting an ethernet cable to the router but then again you dont want a 30ft or longer wire that extends in the floor all the way there.

So the way i have it currently at my current place with time warner cable road runner is modem is directly connected to desktop and rouer and the ethernet cable that connects them all... that ethernet cable is like no more than 5 feet. And thus it doesn't obstruct any space.

Would you think this would be an issue if i want the fios router/modem installed at a certain place? note, the place that i want it installed at is where the desktop will be placed of course and there will be electrical outlets right at that area. However, that 2nd floor has been renovated a lot by previous homeowner and i think from looking, it doesn't seem like they put the fios router there.

Also once the fios router is put at that certain place, is there a way to move it somewhere else afterwards or not? The reason i ask this is b/c even though i know fios is very fast and reliable... the primary computer i want it to be wired... i always prefer wired vs wifi.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

The default is to use wireless for everything. Like I've been saying, it's ultimately at the discretion of the installer. If they're nice, then they'll run a new line if one is required. If they're not, they will charge you to run a new line to wherever you want (think it's $70). I think for internet-only installation, the 1 wire run is usually included in installation, but that may be different if the house is pre-wired for FiOS.

In other words, if you want the router on the 2nd floor, it can be placed on the 2nd floor. The only question is cost.

As for moving the router, if they do a MoCA install (where the ONT is connected to the router via coax), you can move it to any other location where coax is available. If they do an ethernet install (CAT5 from ONT to router), it's up to you to run a new ethernet line in the new location. You could also have Verizon switch the ONT from ethernet to MoCA (or vice versa) remotely in the future.

Something that I don't think you've answered: is the a cable line located in the room where you intend to put the router? If there is an existing cable line there, then you shouldn't have any problems.
dolphin1

dolphin1

I have no idea. The thing is i want to put it in the living room in the 2nd floor. The only thing i see is electrical outlets.

So you are basically saying almost everyone who has FIOS use wireless for everything? Thing is for my cable internet here... default is wired. Am i correct on this? Thus cable is wired and fios is always wifi?

I think the fios was installed in the basement at the new place though im not 100 percent sure.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

1 recommendation

More Fiber

MVM

said by dolphin1:

So you are basically saying almost everyone who has FIOS use wireless for everything?

That is not what Thinkdiff See Profile said. Every installation is different. Without knowing what connections you have in what rooms, we're not going to be able give you specifics.

The FIOS router must go in a room that has either a coax or cat5 connection to the ONT. If the room where you want the router does not have either, you (or VZ) are going to have to run a cable, or put the router somewhere else.
said by dolphin1:

Also once the fios router is put at that certain place, is there a way to move it somewhere else afterwards or not?

Same answer. As long as where you want to move it has a coax or cat5 connection to the ONT, that's fine. If not, you're going to have to run a cable.

If you allow VZ to install the FIOS router in the basement, you're probably not going to get good wireless receiption on the second floor.
dolphin1

dolphin1

Hi. Yes that is why i wouldn't want it to be the basement. The thing is only the 2nd floor will use the internet. No one will use the wifi in the basement nor 1st floor.

What i worried about is they might not be able to install it in the 2nd floor without doing some drilling of some sort.

Thing is previously had i verizon online dsl at my old apartment. Then when we switched to road runner internet, the guy had to drill tons of holes in our apartment to set up the cable internet and this was to run a cable. I assume this is what you mean right? And this is same thing with FIOS?

Okay so FIOS is very fast and reliable but if you are 2 floors above it... the reception will not be good. If thats the case, you can't buy or use another router to fix this issue then like those routers with very long range etc? What about those ppl with big homes etc with tons of floors. And the router is put right in the middle but theres still a few floors above or below it... then how does someone with FIOS get good wifi reception then?

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member

The router can go to wherever there is an existing coax cable that was being used for service before. I am still a bit unsure - you are just getting internet service?
The router can use a coax connection from it to the ONT (the main box that supplies the service)
If you want to have a Ethernet connection pre-run it yourself or a tech MIGHT do it for you. Odds are they will not. IF you get TV in the future there MUST be a coax cable to the router also.

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to dolphin1

MVM

to dolphin1
said by dolphin1:

If thats the case, you can't buy or use another router to fix this issue then like those routers with very long range etc?

Yes you can, but you have to be able to connect it back to the main FIOS router via either coax or cat5.
said by dolphin1:

What about those ppl with big homes etc with tons of floors.

They install Access Points, but again the access points have to be connected back to the main router via coax or cat5.
dolphin1

dolphin1 to PoloDude

to PoloDude
Yes we only getting internet. We also have a tv but we dont have cable with it.
dolphin1

dolphin1 to More Fiber

to More Fiber
Bit confused here. So you just connect the router right NEXT to the main FIOS router? IM confused by coax or cat5, thats just an ethernet cable right?

So based on my situation assuming they cant put it on the 2nd floor, just get a wireless router and connect the ethernet cable to it just like how i have it set up now with my linksys router connected to the cable modem? But dont my router have to be connected to a computer of some sort still?
marc3565
join:2009-10-08

marc3565

The wires typically used to connect TVs to a cable signal are called COAX »www.google.com/search?q= ··· 50%3B302

Verizon installs a box called an ONT. This box can be connected to their router by either an Ethernet or a COAX cable. If you don't have TV you could just use your own router. In that case you need to have an Ethernet cable between the ONT and your router.

A second router can be connected via ethernet cable to your main router and set to be an ACCESS POINT. That second router does not need to be physically connected to a computer. (you would need to connect one temporarily to set it up though)
dolphin1

dolphin1

okay so when the guy comes he will first look at the whole house and then decide where it should be then right? And then i will ask him can you put it here in the spot i want and if he say yes its possible, then its going to be definitely possible but this will cost 70 dollars or so?

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by dolphin1:

so when the guy comes he will first look at the whole house and then decide where it should be then right?

Depends on the tech and whether you have any existing cabling in place. Also depends on the difficulty running wires where you want them. Some techs will take the easiest approch (put the router next to the ONT). Some will run the cable for you, but charge for the run. VZ techs will generally not fish wire through walls or between floors.
dolphin1

dolphin1

okay so when they come i will tell them we want to use the internet on the 2nd floor and ask him if its possible to get it set up there. And if they could do it and charge for it, they will tell me right on hand okay if you want it here on this spot, it will cost so and so amount and that will be added to the bill correct? So the cost of this is going to be roughly how much?
dmine45
join:2002-11-03
Fredericksburg, VA

dmine45

said by dolphin1:

okay so when they come i will tell them we want to use the internet on the 2nd floor and ask him if its possible to get it set up there. And if they could do it and charge for it, they will tell me right on hand okay if you want it here on this spot, it will cost so and so amount and that will be added to the bill correct? So the cost of this is going to be roughly how much?

If there's already a TV cable jack there, he/she can plug the router in there. Remember, the Actiontec router uses coax cable for the Internet (the same stuff your TV would use) whether you order TV or not. It just makes it convenient. If you need a new TV cable outlet installed, they can do that for an additional fee. How much, I'm not sure.
dolphin1

dolphin1

Okay so i found out that the verizon fios wireless router was installed in the basement.

However i was told you can't really put an ethernet cable from the router all the way to the 2nd floor. Basically theres so many doors where its hard to put the string like this.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this now since i know 100 percent where the fios router was previously?

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

It's hard to believe the home is not wired for coax.
Did the previous owners not have TVs?

I know you're not getting FIOS-TV, but as has been said several times already, if your house has existing coax wiring that wiring can be used to locate the router in another area.

If there is no coax wiring, then powerline networking might be an option.
»www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ ··· tworking
dolphin1

dolphin1

Hi i have no clue if their house was wired for coax or not. I do know they had the verizon fios triple play plan so obviously they had TVS.
Jonasjlp
join:2011-06-22
Downingtown, PA

Jonasjlp to dolphin1

to dolphin1
As a former installer of Fios. The rule of thumb was, the customers gets one free data connection at the location of their choice. So, they want the router in the second floor bedroom, we put it there. Doesn't matter if they room was previously wired or not. Unless your tech is a jerk, then you're outta luck.

PoloDude
Premium Member
Aiken, SC

PoloDude to dolphin1

Premium Member

to dolphin1
If they had tv s with Fios there WAS coax cables.
CAll back in . get another tech out and BE THERE to meet him.
dolphin1

dolphin1

Okay there was a huge issue here at the installation. When the techs came, they saw the basement, 1st floor, 2nd floor. I had mentioned that we wanted the internet on the 2nd floor and we wanted it installed on 2nd floor because we assumed the internet wouldnt be strong in the basement.

I wanted to have it in the living room but when they took a look, they could not see a way to put it there. They we decided to put it in the bedroom in the 2nd floor but my issue with this was if there would be any string or ethernet wire extending from that bedroom to the living room and was told no so everything was fine. They said the wireless router/modem from verizon could be put in the living room. When everything was installed, my sister came and she took a look and was not happy that they installed a huge verizon white box which i later found out is called an ENT in her room. Basically she wanted to put a couch there etc and b/c of where the router is placed and the hole that was drilled, she wasn' t happy with it. I had thought it was going to be just some strings or wires there, i had thought the box wasn't going to be there.

Eventually we had it removed and the person who did the installation was very upset as he should be. The thing is my sister doesnt that big white ENT box there in her room.

I previously had asked them so if we put that white verizon box in the basement like the previous homeowner, would it be fine and they said you could but signal would not be that good b/c its 2 floors down. My sister then texted that previous homeowner and asked them if the wifi was good signal since the box was all the way in the basement and they said yes it was good signal.

If that is the case, why could they not just install it in the basement? At first i was worried b/c it would be 2 floors down and the 2 verizon technicians agreed. I had asked them okay so if we put it in the basement, couldn't i just buy a really good wireless router with strong signal and thus have that verizon white box, the router, and connect my own wireless router next to it then the signal would be much better and they said well you already have a router... but i said yes but the signal for the router might not be strong enough.

So at the moment, they undid the installation and sort of mentioned to call back verizon.

Does anyone know if its true that they can't install it in certain locations? The thing is in the living room, theres a cable wire hole of some sort though it that im positive is from a previous homeowner who used it for a TV.

My sister was upset why there is that huge verizon white box in the room as it took a lot of space and she wanted to have couch there and didnt like it.

I had zero clue installing fios was going to be this much of a hassle.

When i had time warner cable road runner installed in my apartment here, they drilled the hole to connect a cable wire to my desktop and that was that and great. Im pretty sure if i told them if i wanted the cable internet for road runner on living room, it certainly would be possible.

So does this mean fios can't be installed in some locations in a house?
dolphin1

dolphin1 to Thinkdiff

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

Something that I don't think you've answered: is the a cable line located in the room where you intend to put the router? If there is an existing cable line there, then you shouldn't have any problems.

There was some type of existing label line in that bedroom where the cable wire was taken out and a new one was installed.

However, there was also a cable wire in the living room as well. I had thought... couldn't they just install the verizon fios there but i was told no...
dolphin1

dolphin1

My sister told me that the previous homeowner had just one verizon white box and that was in the basement. They did have 3 tv boxes on each floor but then again, that has zero relevance b/c we arent getting cable tv.

So from the looks of it, the cable wire that i saw in the 2nd floor in the bedroom, the wire was there but there was no tv there. So previous homeowner had cable wire there but no tv. The cable wire in the living room in the 2nd floor i saw, there was that hole and then the long wire. And of course in basement and 1st floor same thing.

So wouldn't that mean they could have installed the verizon fios WHITE box and the router in that living room area then since there was a cable coax there? Again im not sure if thats the name but there was a cable wire going through a hole there. He did open up the window near that whole in the living room and then they said they just going to do this in the bedroom.

Also, the cable wire in the bedroom in the 2nd floor, they took it out... so at the moment, theres no hole in the wall anymore as oppose to when previously when there was a hole and a cable wire.

Can someone give me advice on my last 3 replies back? Very frustrating with this b/c from what i read, if i could have installed that box in the basement and router there, then just bought a very fast router and connected to it in the basement to the verizon white box or router... which someone mentioned... internet would have fast signal right? Because when i said this, technicians didn't really seem to like this idea.

Also, does anyone know why that white verizon box from the previous homeowner is still in the basement?

Because at the moment, im thinking had i gotten cable internet installed instead of verizon fios... would i still have this issue? Wouldn't that be able to do the drilling in the living room area of the 2nd floor?

PoloDude
Premium Member
Aiken, SC

PoloDude to dolphin1

Premium Member

to dolphin1
Ok it is an ONT not Ent. If there was Fios there in the past - why was it all ripped out?
The ONT needs to be in a location where a correct ground can be accessed. What State are you in?
WHy do you keep talking about strings?
There are either Ethernet cables and /or coax cables.
PoloDude

PoloDude to dolphin1

Premium Member

to dolphin1
If there was a an ONT in the basement, then it could have been put there. The router can be placed right next to it. Then YOU will run an Ethernet CAT5 cable to where you want it on an upper floor. Or you can PAY verizon to do it.