MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to dolphin1

MVM

to dolphin1

Re: Verizon FIOS Installation Question

said by dolphin1:

If thats the case, you can't buy or use another router to fix this issue then like those routers with very long range etc?

Yes you can, but you have to be able to connect it back to the main FIOS router via either coax or cat5.
said by dolphin1:

What about those ppl with big homes etc with tons of floors.

They install Access Points, but again the access points have to be connected back to the main router via coax or cat5.
dolphin1
join:2014-02-28

dolphin1

Bit confused here. So you just connect the router right NEXT to the main FIOS router? IM confused by coax or cat5, thats just an ethernet cable right?

So based on my situation assuming they cant put it on the 2nd floor, just get a wireless router and connect the ethernet cable to it just like how i have it set up now with my linksys router connected to the cable modem? But dont my router have to be connected to a computer of some sort still?
marc3565
join:2009-10-08

marc3565

The wires typically used to connect TVs to a cable signal are called COAX »www.google.com/search?q= ··· 50%3B302

Verizon installs a box called an ONT. This box can be connected to their router by either an Ethernet or a COAX cable. If you don't have TV you could just use your own router. In that case you need to have an Ethernet cable between the ONT and your router.

A second router can be connected via ethernet cable to your main router and set to be an ACCESS POINT. That second router does not need to be physically connected to a computer. (you would need to connect one temporarily to set it up though)
dolphin1

dolphin1

okay so when the guy comes he will first look at the whole house and then decide where it should be then right? And then i will ask him can you put it here in the spot i want and if he say yes its possible, then its going to be definitely possible but this will cost 70 dollars or so?

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by dolphin1:

so when the guy comes he will first look at the whole house and then decide where it should be then right?

Depends on the tech and whether you have any existing cabling in place. Also depends on the difficulty running wires where you want them. Some techs will take the easiest approch (put the router next to the ONT). Some will run the cable for you, but charge for the run. VZ techs will generally not fish wire through walls or between floors.
dolphin1

dolphin1

okay so when they come i will tell them we want to use the internet on the 2nd floor and ask him if its possible to get it set up there. And if they could do it and charge for it, they will tell me right on hand okay if you want it here on this spot, it will cost so and so amount and that will be added to the bill correct? So the cost of this is going to be roughly how much?
dmine45
join:2002-11-03
Fredericksburg, VA

dmine45

said by dolphin1:

okay so when they come i will tell them we want to use the internet on the 2nd floor and ask him if its possible to get it set up there. And if they could do it and charge for it, they will tell me right on hand okay if you want it here on this spot, it will cost so and so amount and that will be added to the bill correct? So the cost of this is going to be roughly how much?

If there's already a TV cable jack there, he/she can plug the router in there. Remember, the Actiontec router uses coax cable for the Internet (the same stuff your TV would use) whether you order TV or not. It just makes it convenient. If you need a new TV cable outlet installed, they can do that for an additional fee. How much, I'm not sure.
dolphin1

dolphin1

Okay so i found out that the verizon fios wireless router was installed in the basement.

However i was told you can't really put an ethernet cable from the router all the way to the 2nd floor. Basically theres so many doors where its hard to put the string like this.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this now since i know 100 percent where the fios router was previously?

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

It's hard to believe the home is not wired for coax.
Did the previous owners not have TVs?

I know you're not getting FIOS-TV, but as has been said several times already, if your house has existing coax wiring that wiring can be used to locate the router in another area.

If there is no coax wiring, then powerline networking might be an option.
»www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ ··· tworking
dolphin1

dolphin1

Hi i have no clue if their house was wired for coax or not. I do know they had the verizon fios triple play plan so obviously they had TVS.

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member

If they had tv s with Fios there WAS coax cables.
CAll back in . get another tech out and BE THERE to meet him.