Search similar:

uniqs

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

Jewel parent to buy former Dominick's parent!

What crazy timing:
quote:
The owner of Albertsons grocery stores is buying Safeway Inc., the second-largest U.S. mainstream grocery store operator, in a deal valued at about $9.4 billion.
»www.nbcnews.com/business ··· n-n46416

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

Interesting indeed. Makes you wonder if the closing of Dominick's had anything to do with this taking place now, instead of before.

If it could have taken place before, we may still have Dominick's in Chicago. Not that I shop that store (I go to Woodmans in Carpentersville), but it does make you wonder.

--Brian

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

I'd still think most of the Dominicks would have closed, as it seems, at least by me, that a Jewel and Dominicks are often across the street from each other, or at least within a block or so.

Killer_B
Speedy
join:2002-02-11
Evanston, IL

Killer_B to andyross

to andyross
That possibly explains why the closings happened so relatively quickly...

And gives them the perfect excuse when the SEC goes and mentions subjects such as monopolies or violating anti-trust laws and such, in Chicago at least. Probably will follow suit anyplace else where they hit a roadblock, for reasons listed previously...
theboz1419
join:2003-02-12
Puyallup, WA

theboz1419 to andyross

to andyross
I grew up going to Safeway store out west and Albertsons. when I first shopped at Dominick's here in the Midwest, they were much more expensive compared to Jewel, so I was not surprised to see them close.

Now, I shop at Meijer's or Woodmans and a few other stores for items I can't get anywhere else.