spc
Search similar:

uniqs
kashesq
join:2014-03-06
Jersey City, NJ

kashesq

[Networking] Connecting Router Via Coax to Ethernet Adapter

I'm about to move into an apartment and I've signed up for a Verizon FIOS Internet only plan. Their sales support rep told me that I could buy my own router and hook it up directly to the wall without buying their Actiontec router, but I would need to buy a coax to Ethernet adapter.

Can anybody tell me whether the sales rep was correct in his advice? If so, could you tell me if it's as simple as connecting a coax to Ethernet adapter to the wall, and then connect my router to the adapter?

I'm looking to purchase an Asus RT-N66U (have it installed at my current place, but I have to leave it behind). Anybody have any recommendations for a coax to Ethernet adapter?

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Springbok
join:2002-09-13
Leander, TX

Springbok

The Verizon Actiontec Rev I is a decent router and is in fact also a Coax / Ethernet converter / bridge if you chose to use it as such, with your own router behind it. It has Gigabit ports too, as a bonus, and is supported by Verizon if you ever have issues. I would just get it if I was you.
kashesq
Jersey City, NJ

kashesq

Really? I guess I've been reading reviews of older revisions because they all complain about how terrible it is. If the latest version is nice then I wouldn't mind getting it. But I really would like to use my own router since I can take it with me and use it on other types of ISPs than just FIOS.
nyrrule27
join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

nyrrule27 to kashesq

to kashesq
We just had a meeting about this exact scenario. Technically the tech will need to run an Ethernet cable from the ont since your gonna be using your own router. Now are you gonna be charged. I'm not sure. Trying to still get clarification.
kashesq
Jersey City, NJ

kashesq

said by nyrrule27:

We just had a meeting about this exact scenario. Technically the tech will need to run an Ethernet cable from the ont since your gonna be using your own router. Now are you gonna be charged. I'm not sure. Trying to still get clarification.

Does this apply for high-rise apartment complexes?

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to kashesq

Premium Member

to kashesq
Believe 'em.

I hate the damn thing.
nyrrule27
Howell, NJ

nyrrule27 to kashesq

to kashesq
Depends on if there will be an ont installed in your appt or if this is setup with an mdu ont. On the mdu ont they usually use a vdsl modem to connect the router too. In that case the you could connect your router to it. If the ont is installed in your appt and depending how big it is, it will depend
kashesq
Jersey City, NJ

kashesq

said by nyrrule27:

Depends on if there will be an ont installed in your appt or if this is setup with an mdu ont. On the mdu ont they usually use a vdsl modem to connect the router too. In that case the you could connect your router to it. If the ont is installed in your appt and depending how big it is, it will depend

When I did a walk-through the apartment last week all I saw was a simple coax jack on the wall, nothing more elaborate than that. I'll be taking possession of the apartment tomorrow, so I'll get a more in-depth look then. I imagine all the hardware is located somewhere deep downstairs, and they just run coax cables to each apartment unit.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to kashesq

MVM

to kashesq
said by kashesq:

I would need to buy a coax to Ethernet adapter.

Absolutely not true.

There are two things wrong with thatstatement:
1) The ONT needs to be provisioned for cat5 connection, not coax. You can then connect any router directly to the ONT. No MOCA adapter needed.
2) Most MOCA adapters do not support MOCA WAN, which is the flavor of MOCA coming out of the ONT.

The above presumes that you have your own ONT and are not in an MDU with a central ONT. If that is the case, then you will receive a VDSL modem. You can connect your router directly to the VDSL modem.
kashesq
Jersey City, NJ

kashesq

said by More Fiber:

said by kashesq:

I would need to buy a coax to Ethernet adapter.

Absolutely not true.

There are two things wrong with thatstatement:
1) The ONT needs to be provisioned for cat5 connection, not coax. You can then connect any router directly to the ONT. No MOCA adapter needed.
2) Most MOCA adapters do not support MOCA WAN, which is the flavor of MOCA coming out of the ONT.

The above presumes that you have your own ONT and are not in an MDU with a central ONT. If that is the case, then you will receive a VDSL modem. You can connect your router directly to the VDSL modem.

So you're saying that I HAVE to purchase the Actiontec router, and that I can't use a coax to Ethernet adapter and simply plug in any ol' router?
nyrrule27
Howell, NJ

nyrrule27

The tech should be able to run an Ethernet cable for you. You could also rent the vz router so you get an unlimited warranty and piggyback your router to it.

Just out of curiosity what speed did you order

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to kashesq

Premium Member

to kashesq
You can find MOCA WAN capable adapters if you look hard enough and are willing to spend. In an apartment you most likely won't have a choice--you'll be stuck with MOCA.

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to kashesq

MVM

to kashesq
said by kashesq:

So you're saying that I HAVE to purchase the Actiontec router

That's not what i said.

There are two situations (which applies to you is not clear):

1) You have a SFU (single family) install. i.e. your own ONT. In this case, request that it be provisioned for cat5 WAN connection. Then you simply connect any router you want to the RJ45 jack in the ONT.

2) You have a MDU install (shared ONT). In this case, you simply connect your router to the supplied VDSL modem.

IN NEITHER CASE DO YOU NEED A MOCA ADAPTER.
More Fiber

More Fiber to sivran

MVM

to sivran
said by sivran:

You can find MOCA WAN capable adapters

Yes, there are MOCA WAN capable adapters, but why would he need one?
said by sivran:

In an apartment you most likely won't have a choice--you'll be stuck with MOCA.

MOCA WAN is not used in an MDU install.
nyrrule27
Howell, NJ

nyrrule27 to More Fiber

to More Fiber
said by More Fiber:

said by kashesq:

So you're saying that I HAVE to purchase the Actiontec router

That's not what i said.

There are two situations (which applies to you is not clear):

1) You have a SFU (single family) install. i.e. your own ONT. In this case, request that it be provisioned for cat5 WAN connection. Then you simply connect any router you want to the RJ45 jack in the ONT.

2) You have a MDU install (shared ONT). In this case, you simply connect your router to the supplied VDSL modem.

IN NEITHER CASE DO YOU NEED A MOCA ADAPTER.

That's basically what I said. As far as the mdu nots. Some are Ethernet and don't use a vdsl modem. There aren't many but there are some. And they don't require a vdsl modem. But most Likely if it is an mdu it will require the vdsl modem
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

1 edit

elefante72 to More Fiber

to More Fiber
@More Fiber

I thought MTU VDSL/POTS was obviously VDSL for IP/phone and video over coax but I thought that MDU w/ Coax ONLY (if they exist) still used MoCA WAN as the protocol and Actiontec only at the prem.

If its coax only to the prem (no VSDL POTS) you are saying the modems are still VDSL over coax? That doesn't make sense.

If the coax is just RF, then I agree it's MoCA LAN only for STB/VOD.

So what I gather for MDU RF is always delivered as RF only, and net can be either copper or Cat?

Please elaborate.

Thx...
nyrrule27
Howell, NJ

nyrrule27

If you have already placed your order I would call tech support. We can see what type of ont. Or if one needs to be installed in your apt

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to elefante72

MVM

to elefante72
said by elefante72:

If its coax only to the prem (no VSDL POTS) you are saying the modems are still VDSL over coax?

MOCA WAN MDU ONTs do exist, but I've never heard of VZ using them.
cat5 WAN MDU ONTs are rare, but VZ does use them where cat5 wiring is already in place (in addition to cat3 for phone).

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

MoCA WAN can't be used in an MDU environment since each customer needs their own MoCA network. An RF low pass filter is used to segment each MoCA LAN segment from the RF video feed riding on the same coax. If this RF low pass filter isn't installed, 2 or more customers will have problems with their data connections within their living units since each BHR will be fighting for the same MoCA LAN channels.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to More Fiber

to More Fiber
There are thousands of MDU's that are setup the same way as single family units. FTTP, to typical ONT, no VDSL involved.

SeanWhite
@comcast.net

SeanWhite to sivran

Anon

to sivran
I've worked with the Revision I of the Actiontec router and personally I was disappointed by the performance. I mean wired connection via Ethernet was fine on WAN and LAN but once you went into the wireless connection it seemed slow and unreliable. I mean the router I got only did up to 130Mbps on N performance mode, which in this day and age and this supposedly being a high-end router it's simply unacceptable, especially when the Linksys router I was previously using had similar components, from the Marvell CPU down to the RAM and Flash memory. »wikidevi.com/wiki/Action ··· WR_rev_I »wikidevi.com/wiki/Linksys_EA4500
kashesq
Jersey City, NJ

kashesq to nyrrule27

to nyrrule27
said by nyrrule27:

The tech should be able to run an Ethernet cable for you. You could also rent the vz router so you get an unlimited warranty and piggyback your router to it.

Just out of curiosity what speed did you order

I've decided to get the Actiontec router from Verizon for the time being. If I really hate the thing, then I'll just get my own router and run it through the Actiontec.

Oh btw, I found the ONT in one of the closets.

Biggwell
@myvzw.com

Biggwell

Anon

You really don't need the actiontech router at all. Even if you subscribe to the video service. All you need is to have the Internet provisioned on ethernet and you can use what ever router you want. If you do subscribe to video, all you have to do is ask the tech to leave a NIM and you can back feed the NIM from your router. I recommend getting the ASUS rt AC68U.

SeanWhite
@comcast.net

SeanWhite

Anon

Um no one makes the NIM100 anymore, it's been discontinued because it was only MoCA 1.0 and restricted the number of nodes on the network to 8 instead of the 16 MoCA 1.1 and 2.0 allow. Verizon probably doesn't even carry them anymore the same as they wouldn't carry a Rev A or Rev C router.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Yeah I would have thought they were phased out by now. I still think it's a cool implementation.