Search similar:

uniqs
cbmullen
join:2006-03-08
Canal Fulton, OH

cbmullen

Connecting My italbb Equipment To My AT&T 3801HGV

Click for full size
I finally received my italkbb equipment today. I connect an Ethernet cable from my AT&T modem/router (3801HGV) to the blue labeled Internet port of the OBi302 phone adapter box for phone service. No problem. I can connect a second Ethernet cable from my AT&T modem/router to the Ethernet port on the back of the S-Box 7340 for TV service. No problem. If I do it this way I will have to run two Ethernet cables from my AT&T modem/router. What I want to know is if I can run a single Ethernet cable to the OBi302 phone adapter box and then run a shorter Ethernet cable from the yellow labeled LAN port on the OBi302 phone adapter box to the Ethernet port on the larger S-Box 7340 for TV service, thus running only one Ethernet cable from my AT&T modem/router instead of two. Does the yellow labeled Ethernet port on the OBi302 provide the same service that a direct connection to my AT&T modem/router provides or do you think it may be altered in some manner by passing through the OBi302?

It appears to me that the OBi302 is a phone adapter AND a router so I don't see why I cannot run a short Ethernet cable from the OBi302 yellow labeled LAN port directly to the larger S-Box 7340 for TV service. Both boxes will be located next to my TV in my living room. Will this work? I don't want to run two Ethernet cables from my AT&T modem/router because it is located appx. fifty feet away from my living room TV and I'm using a 75 ft. long Cat6a Shielded (SSTP/SFTP) Ethernet Cable. I know that this particular Ethernet cable is overkill but this is what I have decided to use. I know that I can connect the S-Box 7340 wirelessly to my AT&T modem/router but I want to use an Ethernet cable because a direct wire connection is always superior to a wireless signal. I'll buy another 75 ft. long Ethernet cable if necessary. I'm not worried about the cost.

Please let me know if you think the TV service will work if I connect the S-Box 7340 to the OBi302 IP phone adapter LAN port with a short Ethernet cable. I will run a second cable from my AT&T modem/router if this will not work. I have pictures of the two boxes but I don't see a way to upload them to this thread. You can forget about finding any pictures or information online about the S-Box 7340. It's made in China and I've been able to discover absolutely nothing about it after many searches.

Thank you in advance for your time and any assistance provided.

brookeKrige
join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

1 edit

brookeKrige

For one cable: can also place a switch near OBi302 and S-Box.

Most Obi's can be configured to be a router, and they tout this as a QoS-feature: their device can be wired to deliberately be in the middle so their VOIP traffic gets first priority, over all downstream devices. Didn't it come with a little pamphlet showing this wiring alternative?

But I've never tried/tested my Obi202 that way; admittedly I have a preconceived bias that their performance/latency as a router is insufficient. And it likely adds a 2nd NAT layer, double NAT-ing sometimes know to cause problems; unless the Obi is placed in gateway's DMZ or passthrough.

For more search in »VOIP Tech Chat

ortizdr
The One the Only
join:2014-01-15
North Richland Hills, TX

ortizdr to cbmullen

to cbmullen
What the heck is an s-box?
cbmullen
Canal Fulton, OH

cbmullen

Hey ortizdr,

The only thing I know is that is gives my wife a bunch of Chinese TV and movies over the Internet. I can't find out anything about it online. It comes with the italkbb Chinese phone service which allows my wife and stepson to make and receive phone calls to and from China, Hong Kong and Taiwan free of charge. The instructions are in Chinese characters so it's all Greek to me. I suppose I could ask my wife or stepson to read it but I think I'd lose the meaning of everything during the translation.

gerick
join:2001-01-17
San Antonio, TX
Google Wifi
Obihai OBi200

gerick

They do have an english website that might help...
»www.italkbb.com/us/en/su ··· ter.html

They probably have some english speaking tech support.
tabernak4
join:2013-08-10

tabernak4 to cbmullen

to cbmullen
At this point you have all the devices and I'd suggest you just start playing around, you can't really hurt anything. Here's how I'd approach it:

1) Run the 75 ft ethernet cable to the OBi302 "Internet" port. Run a short ethernet cable from the "LAN" port to the ethernet port on the S-Box. Hook that up to my TV and see if it works. If it seems to work flawlessly, you've got your solution, go ahead and run that cable under your house. Who cares about the double NAT, as that's the only device that'll be behind it and it works.

If you have issues, see if both work fine when plugged straight into the router. If not, you're going to have to start debugging the router and the devices. If they work fine, then either:

2a) Buy an unmanaged switch and connect your 75 ft ethernet cable and both devices to that. That's my preference as it gives you more ports for other things at a later date (xbox, htpc, roku, smart tv, etc). Personally, I use the TRENDnet TEG-S80g that's $35 from amazon for a similarly ran cable to a detached shed on my property to connect devices to.

2b) Buy a second 75 ethernet cable and hook them both straight to your router.
cbmullen
Canal Fulton, OH

cbmullen

Hey tabernak,

I decided to run two Ethernet cables, one for the phone and one for the TV. Everything turned out OK and I didn't have to configure anything. It was basically just plug and play. I didn't even try to run an Ethernet cable out of the LAN port on the Obi, although I'm almost certain it would have worked with no configuration necessary.

Thank you for your assistance. I appreciate it.
cbmullen

cbmullen to gerick

to gerick
Thanks, gerick. Yes, the Chinese people manning customer service and technical service speak English but I have to say that their support is absolutely atrocious.