uniqs

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua

Premium Member

[Appliances] Moldy Washer Cases Can Proceed as Top Court Rebuffs Whirlpool

Feb. 24 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. Supreme Court let consumers press ahead with class action lawsuits claiming that washing machines made by Whirlpool Corp. developed a smelly buildup of mold.

The justices today turned away appeals from Whirlpool in a case filed by Ohio customers, and from Sears Holdings Corp. in a suit by consumers in six states over Whirlpool-made machines. The court also rejected a similar appeal by a unit of BSH Bosch und Siemens Hausgeraete GmbH over its washers.

The rebuff is a setback for business groups, including the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, that backed the appeals. The groups sought to build on Supreme Court victories they won in 2011 in a case involving Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and last year in a case concerning Comcast Corp.

more here

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

Moldy smelly buildup? Bull S**t. Operate equipment right and you don't have problems. We've had our front loader since 2004 (10 years) and have never had a smelly buildup. This is just lawyers padding their bottom line.
Expand your moderator at work

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jack_in_VA

Re: [Appliances] Moldy Washer Cases Can Proceed as Top Court Rebuffs Whirlpool

I have an LG frontloader that I bought in 2006, no problems either.
tomupnorth
join:2005-01-14
UpperMidwest

tomupnorth to Boricua

to Boricua
We are new front-loader owners and our door gasket is blackening and it seems even chlorine does not clear it up. I wonder if anyone has tips for getting that gasket clean and keeping it that way.

We have from Day 1 [tried to] make certain to wipe the gasket dry after use. Hasn't seemed to help.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to John97

Premium Member

to John97
said by John97:

I have an LG frontloader that I bought in 2006, no problems either.

+1 John97

Ken
MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

Ken to Boricua

MVM

to Boricua
said by »www.today.com/news/your- ··· 10671363 :
"On a top-loader, nature takes care of the problem for you; the moist air rises out of the machine," Selbin explained. But on a front-loader, he said, "You've got a sealed environment, and so the water and the moisture stays in here. It's a very humid environment ... and it breeds mold."

Selbin says Whirlpool even knew about the defect for years. A 2004 internal memo shows the company identified the problem and was trying to fix it, the company's lead engineer saying that while mold can exist in any washer, their front-load machines are the "ideal environment for molds ... we are fooling ourselves if we think we can eliminate mold...." But the lawsuit says Whirlpool kept selling the machines anyway.

We always leave the door open on our front loader (standard procedure?), and I've never seen a hint of mold. Is the only reason for mold because the door is kept closed, or is there some other defect I'm missing?
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t

said by Ken:

"On a top-loader, nature takes care of the problem for you; the moist air rises out of the machine," Selbin explained. But on a front-loader, he said, "You've got a sealed environment, and so the water and the moisture stays in here. It's a very humid environment ... and it breeds mold."

Selbin says Whirlpool even knew about the defect for years. A 2004 internal memo shows the company identified the problem and was trying to fix it, the company's lead engineer saying that while mold can exist in any washer, their front-load machines are the "ideal environment for molds ... we are fooling ourselves if we think we can eliminate mold...." But the lawsuit says Whirlpool kept selling the machines anyway.

We always leave the door open on our front loader (standard procedure?), and I've never seen a hint of mold. Is the only reason for mold because the door is kept closed, or is there some other defect I'm missing?

remove the dispenser tray, look at the bottom of it, and inside the machine where it went.
twodogs
join:2001-08-17
Pahrump, NV

twodogs to Ken

to Ken
Is the only reason for mold because the door is kept closed, or is there some other defect I'm missing?

Yup, that is the main problem. We started having this problem with our LG front loader, so we made a hook that keeps the door open without sitting wide open and blocking the hallway.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to Boricua

Premium Member

to Boricua
Leaving the door open takes care of the moisture.
Washing with hot water (not lukewarm) takes care of all spores.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to Ken

Premium Member

to Ken
said by Ken:

quote:
The justices today turned away appeals from Whirlpool in a case filed by Ohio customers, and from Sears Holdings Corp. in a suit by consumers in six states over Whirlpool-made machines. The court also rejected a similar appeal by a unit of BSH Bosch und Siemens Hausgeraete GmbH over its washers.
Wonder why it's always directed at Whirlpool by posters and not the other front loaders which have the same issue? A quick Google search reveals that every one of the front load washer manufacturers have lawsuits against them. The Ohio case is just one of nine against Whirlpool involving front-loading washers that emit unpleasant odors. At least seven other manufacturers and sellers are involved in similar suits involving millions of consumers

I have a Whirlpool and don't experience the problem. Now I'm sure my wife and I are not doing anything other than leaving the door cracked a little until the interior dries out some. We did that even before we were made aware of the "Smell" issue.

Ken I think you have have it covered and aren't missing anything.

"From Consumer Reports How to prevent smelly mold buildup in front-loading washers
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

2 recommendations

Mr Matt to Boricua

to Boricua
said by Boricua:

Feb. 24 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. Supreme Court let consumers press ahead with class action lawsuits claiming that washing machines made by Whirlpool Corp. developed a smelly buildup of mold.

I would have had the problem with mold build up, if I had not purchased my Whirlpool Washer from a local dealer in 2006. The technician that installed the equipment gave me instructions on proper operation and maintenance of the washer. I was told that I should do a Chlorine Bleach Wash once a week, to disinfect the washer. I should do the Chlorine wash first, to reduce corrosion. I was told to always leave the door open when finished so the interior of the washer dries quickly. Another factor that helped prevent development of mold is the fact that the laundry room is inside air conditioned space. On the other hand the washers should have been designed in a way that purchasers did not have to follow a complex procedure or install them in air conditioned space in order to avoid mold build up.
joewho
Premium Member
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL

joewho to Boricua

Premium Member

to Boricua
I wonder why this problem is so prevalent in front loaders and not top loaders? We also have LG front loader, my wife used to do a load and just leave it. Until the smell started. I wear enough white to use bleach and hot water, then leave the door open. It only took about a month of bitching to get my wife to take the laundry out and leave the door open. Bleach works as well as other products, I used the tide product that cleans the washer. Also, we have a black lab, washer is usually full of hair on the rubber seal. Sometimes it simply boils down to grabbing a wet rag and actually touching it.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

I have a Whirlpool and don't experience the problem. Now I'm sure my wife and I are not doing anything other than leaving the door cracked a little until the interior dries out some. We did that even before we were made aware of the "Smell" issue.

I have an LG and don't have the problem either. In fact, our door has a magnetic latch that keeps it propped open just a little bit to let it breathe when not in use.

Much ado about nothing.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by dennismurphy:

said by Jack_in_VA:

I have an LG and don't have the problem either. In fact, our door has a magnetic latch that keeps it propped open just a little bit to let it breathe when not in use.

Much ado about nothing.

+1 Dennis :) Much ado about nothing.
towerdave
join:2002-01-16
O Fallon, IL

1 recommendation

towerdave to joewho

to joewho
said by joewho:

I wonder why this problem is so prevalent in front loaders and not top loaders?

Front loader has a sealed door, so if you close it all the way, there is no place for the moisture to go. Top loader doesn't seal when you close the lid, so the moisture can get out. And if you leave the lid open, it's not as likely to be in the way.

TD

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg to Boricua

MVM

to Boricua
even the "sales associate" at Lowes told us to be sure to leave the door cracked open when not in use to prevent build up. I don't know if the manual says anything about it or not, but it is common sense.

BTW, maybe I should have sued them for my old top load washer lid rusting where the paint chipped. the moisture working it way out past it HAD to have lead to the rusting.

GadgetsRme
RIP lilhurricane and CJ
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
Canon City, CO

GadgetsRme

Premium Member

said by davidg:

but it is common sense.

Whaazat? :-(

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

UHF to Mr Matt

MVM

to Mr Matt
said by Mr Matt:

I was told that I should do a Chlorine Bleach Wash once a week, to disinfect the washer. I should do the Chlorine wash first, to reduce corrosion. I was told to always leave the door open when finished so the interior of the washer dries quickly

Bingo. As others have said, this seems to eliminate the problem. I've never had mold in mine, and the sales person told me to leave the door open. I do occasionally find my dumb cat in there, but she likes to hide in all sorts of goofy places.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

+1 Such a simple solution that does not involve lawyers, courts and emotional distress.
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t to UHF

to UHF
said by UHF:

said by Mr Matt:

I was told that I should do a Chlorine Bleach Wash once a week, to disinfect the washer. I should do the Chlorine wash first, to reduce corrosion. I was told to always leave the door open when finished so the interior of the washer dries quickly

Bingo. As others have said, this seems to eliminate the problem. I've never had mold in mine, and the sales person told me to leave the door open. I do occasionally find my dumb cat in there, but she likes to hide in all sorts of goofy places.

the dispenser tray, and the opening it fits into, can get moldy too.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to UHF

Premium Member

to UHF
We used to run a tub-clean cycle periodically but have since stopped doing so. Now, on "laundry day" we wash dark clothes, then light clothes, and finish with whites. We wash the whites in bleach on the sanitary setting which uses "extra-hot" water.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to towerdave

Premium Member

to towerdave
said by towerdave:

Front loader has a sealed door, so if you close it all the way, there is no place for the moisture to go. Top loader doesn't seal when you close the lid, so the moisture can get out. And if you leave the lid open, it's not as likely to be in the way.

TD

I have a top-loader Samsung and make sure to leave the lid open. I've told my roommates to leave it open as well, and the instructions did say so.
Billy Brethr (banned)
join:2005-04-01
San Antonio, TX

Billy Brethr (banned) to Boricua

to Boricua
We have an old Whirlpool and it STINKS. I've disassembled it, cleaned the inside of the chassis, outside of the drum/agitator, flushed bleach water, etc... I have no idea where the mold is but it really, REALLY stinks.

Not looking for any $$ from the gubbmint, but someone could post "How to Clean Yore Stanky Washmachine Instructions" (English preferred, but I've learned to read manuals in spanish, mandarin, japanese, french and swahili).

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to Boricua

Premium Member

to Boricua
No matter what the make, style or model I don't think you should have to bleach the inside of a washer on a regular basis or even occasionally to remove a smell.

The E
Please allow me to retort
Premium Member
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC

1 edit

1 recommendation

The E to Boricua

Premium Member

to Boricua
It seems strange to me that because a handful of DSLR members aren't having issues with their machines, they choose to wave the banner of ignorance by dismissing all these other people that apparently do have an issue.

I own a Whirlpool Duet Sport that we purchased back in '07. Even with the door left open, a slime starts to build up between the folds of the gasket. If left unchecked it starts to smell hideously bad.

If we lived in a warmer, humid climate, I could imagine the issue being worse. Once these smells get hold in the washers they're almost impossible to eradicate. Jesus, don't you think these people would have tried the Bleach in the washer cycle?

I agree that their own lack of proper procedures may have contributed, but there is an issue with some of the Whirlpool washers in particular.

Raphion
join:2000-10-14
Samsara

Raphion to Boricua

to Boricua
I have noticed some molds being pretty resistant to chlorine. I have a little of it on the gasket of my maytag neptune front loader. I'm gonna be trying hydrogen peroxide on it next.
walta
join:2001-05-22
Saint Louis, MO

2 recommendations

walta to Boricua

to Boricua
For years we never had a mold mold problem then suddenly we did.

It turn out one of the fill valves no longer stopped the flow of water completely.

The slow drip never put enough water in the tub to be visible.

But more than enough water to keep the mold alive and smelling bad.

Walta

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

1 edit

mityfowl to Boricua

Premium Member

to Boricua
Say whatever.

It's not normal for seals and units to get mold and stink on a high % of units under normal conditions nationwide,

It's not normal to have to shower the unit with bleach regularly on a high % of units

It's an inherent flaw if not a defect.

If the manufactures didn't figure it in, well tough. It's defective.

What's a high percentage judge? 15% I would say. orthers 5%.

Now that said over the 30 years that my family has used my unit when it got a chance to breath the lid was open when resting.

Same old unit 30 years or so old, no stink.
mityfowl

mityfowl to Boricua

Premium Member

to Boricua
I got no dog in this hunt but the question is which manufactues do not have an issue with this mold/stink?