share rss forum feed

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
reply to Boricua

Re: [Appliances] Moldy Washer Cases Can Proceed as Top Court Rebuffs Whirlpool

Honestly guys.

If this consumer complaint doesn't need addressing what does?

Just address it, explain and be done. I know there are billions at stake in the repairs.

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX

1 edit
reply to Boricua
Back in the early '80s when I was in the factory appliance sales one of our hated competitors made a big mistake. The gorilla was going down.

GE sold a few million of "defective" refrigerators and window AC's. Bad new scroll compressors. I think they shot the engineer 8 times after they skinned him and cut every appendage off.

We thought they were screwed.

What did they do? Remember they were #1 king alpha gorilla big dog at the time. Whirlpool #2.

A recall and hunt down of every refer/ac that they could find with a new compressor replacement and something like 5 additional years warranty.

That's strong.

I don't think you guys with smelly washers will get this nice of service.

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to Boricua
I don't remember them being sued.

They just headed it off and replaced them all.

I was totally impressed and wanted to work for them at the time.

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

4 edits
reply to Boricua
We had a GE front loader that we always left the door open in between washings... It started smelling.
The smell was transferred to clothes...
We always used the MFG suggested special front loader detergent.
We cleaned and dried the rubber gasket which trapped water... but could only get to front side of gasket, and we always had suspicion that smell came from back side of gasket.
We called and complained to GE...
They suggested we do an empty load with a few cups of bleach, followed by a second load of same, then two more loads of nothing, to get rid of bleach. odor, and suggested adding a 'freshener' to each load....
That, and a complete drying after each use, got rid of smell....
And afterward, we added a special pelleted "Freshener" to each load, which was hard to find and $$.
We continued on this way, with a bleach empty wash every 6 months.... Until the damn thing died....
We went back to a top loader, and that doesn't smell..... and we've had that for well over a year...

I would NEVER buy another front loader! THEY LITERALLY 'STINK'!

--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to The E
said by The E:

It seems strange to me that because a handful of DSLR members aren't having issues with their machines, they choose to wave the banner of ignorance by dismissing all these other people that apparently do have an issue.

What because some of us don't have your problem and dare to post it here we're waving the banner of ignorance? Typical tactic to use against those who don't agree with you and share your pain.

I own a Whirlpool Duet Sport that we purchased back in '07. Even with the door left open, a slime starts to build up between the folds of the gasket. If left unchecked it starts to smell hideously bad.

We have a Whirlpool Gold Duet purchased in 2004 and after reading your post I inspected the cavity behind the gasket and it's clean with no sign of any mold, slime or moisture. That's 10 years now.

If we lived in a warmer, humid climate, I could imagine the issue being worse. Once these smells get hold in the washers they're almost impossible to eradicate. Jesus, don't you think these people would have tried the Bleach in the washer cycle?

We are in Virginia not exactly a cold climate. Something that is not there can't get worse can it? We use light bleach sometimes but mostly don't.

I agree that their own lack of proper procedures may have contributed, but there is an issue with some of the Whirlpool washers in particular.

You have a Whirlpool but if you would have taken the time to do a quick Google search of the issue you would find that at least 7 manufacturers of both front and top loaders are involved. If you have read all the posts here you would see others having problems with other brands front and top loading. One poster who has a top loader Samsung says the instructions say leave the lid open. »Re: [Appliances] Moldy Washer Cases Can Proceed as Top Court Rebuffs Whirlpool

Jan Janowski
Premium
Skokie, IL
As posted, it's not just Whirlpool!
--

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by Jan Janowski:

As posted, it's not just Whirlpool!

I know I found that out when I did a Google search of the issue and read the posts of others with different brands than Whirlpool.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to mityfowl
said by mityfowl:

I got no dog in this hunt but the question is which manufactues do not have an issue with this mold/stink?

If the door is not left open - they all will have the issue.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Jan Janowski
Premium
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
--
Brian

If the door is left open, you wipe down everything.... It will still STINK!
Something is wrong with the inherant design of front loaders!!
--

The E
Please allow me to retort
Premium
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw

1 edit
reply to Jack_in_VA
Jack_in_VA, you're really making the case for me, aren't you?

Because you don't have this problem then surely no one else could, correct? Is that your sound, logical reasoning here? For what it's worth, I'm happy you don't have the issue - it's really frustrating to deal with. I focused on Whirlpool because that was the topic of the OP. Huh, imagine that - I stayed on topic.

I've been a long time member here but rarely post.... because of comments like yours. In lurking here almost daily for ten years I've learned something; your need to always be right is exhausting. Please block my posts, or choose to not to reply to them. I'll reciprocate.

--
"All opinions stated by me are solely my views and do not reflect the views of my employer, this site, or even myself depending on my level of sanity at the moment"
Expand your moderator at work

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Jan Janowski

Re: [Appliances] Moldy Washer Cases Can Proceed as Top Court Rebuffs Whirlpool

said by Jan Janowski:

--
Brian

I have a front loader and no - not all of them will stink if the door is left open.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
reply to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

Moldy smelly buildup? Bull S**t. Operate equipment right and you don't have problems. We've had our front loader since 2004 (10 years) and have never had a smelly buildup. This is just lawyers padding their bottom line.

I've had a front loading washer since 2012, and I clean it regularly with bleach and leave the door open to let it air - and it's still smelling after a short period of time!
--
The more I C, the less I see.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Boricua
said by The E:

Because you don't have this problem then surely no one else could, correct?

That is the M.O. in a nutshell.
--

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to CylonRed
Which manufactures don't have this issue?

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to Boricua
This is called a manufactures defect. Known not defined.

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to Boricua
its really a concept defect.

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to Boricua
Not sure but I think Speed Queen still makes it the old fashion way.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to The E
Better idea you block mine since you somehow can't accept everyone else doesn't share your pain if that's what you call it. You are making my case that you want everyone to cry along with you. There are others here that post they don't have the problem either.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

said by Jan Janowski:

--
Brian

I have a front loader and no - not all of them will stink if the door is left open.

Careful CylonRed you are inviting the hate brigade because you don't have a problem with your front loader. For some reason they think because theirs stink all of them should also.

I posted earlier I checked behind my door gasket and it is clean and dry so not much chance of anything causing any smell. I guess I should just go on and say mine smells to pacify them.

DannyZ
Gentoo Fanboy
Premium
join:2003-01-29
Erie, PA
Jack, you dismissed in typical fashion any chance that this is a problem whatsoever for anyone. CylonRed did not do that. If you reread his statement, particularly where he says "not all of them will stink if the door is left open.", you might realize that his statement concedes that some may indeed have a problem even with the door left open.

You really, really don't know it all.
--
Out the 10BaseT, through the modem, down the co-ax, over the fiber, across the backhaul, past the edge router, off the network...nothing but net

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
He is correct. Not all of them are effected. Mine isn't yours is so it's 50/50. Is that not correct? I never said that it was not an issue with some. I do say it's not only Whirlpool Front Loaders and a Google search bears that out. Also apparently some top loaders exhibit smell issues also. Now if you can get over your sensitivity because you have one with a problem and everyone else does not that will solve a lot of your issue. I'm sorry you have a problem but don't try to make your problem my problem because it's not.

DannyZ
Gentoo Fanboy
Premium
join:2003-01-29
Erie, PA

1 recommendation

said by Jack_in_VA :
Moldy smelly buildup? Bull S**t. Operate equipment right and you don't have problems. We've had our front loader since 2004 (10 years) and have never had a smelly buildup. This is just lawyers padding their bottom line.
People are having the problems even when operating the equipment correctly. You started off this thread stating differently. Backpedal if you will, but these are your words, not mine.
--
Out the 10BaseT, through the modem, down the co-ax, over the fiber, across the backhaul, past the edge router, off the network...nothing but net

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
I'll stand by that. Leave the door open, wipe the surface dry under the seal and there will be no smell or mold. I said earlier I checked mine and it's clean and dry as new. We maybe wipe it down about once a month. Simple operation and care that maybe all are not aware of.

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to Boricua
Dudes. Stop bitchen.

It s an issue. Has been for 22 years.

Jack yours is great.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by mityfowl:

Dudes. Stop bitchen.

It s an issue. Has been for 22 years.

Jack yours is great.

Not anything special mityfowl. Perhaps I should have just said mine stunk also. It would maybe have saved all this bitching because I don't have the problem and some others also say they don't. Apparently taking reasonable but not excessive care has positive results. Wipe down leave door open.

I think that any washer front or top loading the that has any standing water can have this problem.

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to Boricua
Jack I'm not being a whore bitch to you.

Most of these people are sort of young. I doubt most people believe me when I say my washer is over 30 years old.

I have a cousin (ha that's still working) that used to be a "Maytag Repair Man"

#1 complaint The washer smells

#2 complaint Something wrong with my ice maker

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
I hear you mityfowl.

I've had enough trouble because of #1. Better not mention I haven't had a problem with #2 either.

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to Boricua
Now that said they don't know and want to take care of their shit.

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to Boricua
I think the young girls at my stated washing at about 6 years old.

1st rule don't over load.

2nd rule: use less soap than you think it needs, maybe 1/2 as less