join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to Ken

Premium Member

to Ken

Re: [Appliances] Moldy Washer Cases Can Proceed as Top Court Rebuffs Whirlpool

said by Ken:

said by »www.today.com/news/your- ··· 10671363 :
"On a top-loader, nature takes care of the problem for you; the moist air rises out of the machine," Selbin explained. But on a front-loader, he said, "You've got a sealed environment, and so the water and the moisture stays in here. It's a very humid environment ... and it breeds mold."

Selbin says Whirlpool even knew about the defect for years. A 2004 internal memo shows the company identified the problem and was trying to fix it, the company's lead engineer saying that while mold can exist in any washer, their front-load machines are the "ideal environment for molds ... we are fooling ourselves if we think we can eliminate mold...." But the lawsuit says Whirlpool kept selling the machines anyway.

We always leave the door open on our front loader (standard procedure?), and I've never seen a hint of mold. Is the only reason for mold because the door is kept closed, or is there some other defect I'm missing?

quote:
The justices today turned away appeals from Whirlpool in a case filed by Ohio customers, and from Sears Holdings Corp. in a suit by consumers in six states over Whirlpool-made machines. The court also rejected a similar appeal by a unit of BSH Bosch und Siemens Hausgeraete GmbH over its washers.
Wonder why it's always directed at Whirlpool by posters and not the other front loaders which have the same issue? A quick Google search reveals that every one of the front load washer manufacturers have lawsuits against them. The Ohio case is just one of nine against Whirlpool involving front-loading washers that emit unpleasant odors. At least seven other manufacturers and sellers are involved in similar suits involving millions of consumers

I have a Whirlpool and don't experience the problem. Now I'm sure my wife and I are not doing anything other than leaving the door cracked a little until the interior dries out some. We did that even before we were made aware of the "Smell" issue.

Ken I think you have have it covered and aren't missing anything.

"From Consumer Reports How to prevent smelly mold buildup in front-loading washers

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy

Premium Member

said by Jack_in_VA:

I have a Whirlpool and don't experience the problem. Now I'm sure my wife and I are not doing anything other than leaving the door cracked a little until the interior dries out some. We did that even before we were made aware of the "Smell" issue.

I have an LG and don't have the problem either. In fact, our door has a magnetic latch that keeps it propped open just a little bit to let it breathe when not in use.

Much ado about nothing.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by dennismurphy:

said by Jack_in_VA:

I have an LG and don't have the problem either. In fact, our door has a magnetic latch that keeps it propped open just a little bit to let it breathe when not in use.

Much ado about nothing.

+1 Dennis :) Much ado about nothing.