·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink

2 recommendations

reply to Boricua

Re: [Appliances] Moldy Washer Cases Can Proceed as Top Court Rebuffs Whirlpool

said by Boricua:

Feb. 24 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. Supreme Court let consumers press ahead with class action lawsuits claiming that washing machines made by Whirlpool Corp. developed a smelly buildup of mold.

I would have had the problem with mold build up, if I had not purchased my Whirlpool Washer from a local dealer in 2006. The technician that installed the equipment gave me instructions on proper operation and maintenance of the washer. I was told that I should do a Chlorine Bleach Wash once a week, to disinfect the washer. I should do the Chlorine wash first, to reduce corrosion. I was told to always leave the door open when finished so the interior of the washer dries quickly. Another factor that helped prevent development of mold is the fact that the laundry room is inside air conditioned space. On the other hand the washers should have been designed in a way that purchasers did not have to follow a complex procedure or install them in air conditioned space in order to avoid mold build up.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
said by Mr Matt:

I was told that I should do a Chlorine Bleach Wash once a week, to disinfect the washer. I should do the Chlorine wash first, to reduce corrosion. I was told to always leave the door open when finished so the interior of the washer dries quickly

Bingo. As others have said, this seems to eliminate the problem. I've never had mold in mine, and the sales person told me to leave the door open. I do occasionally find my dumb cat in there, but she likes to hide in all sorts of goofy places.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1

+1 Such a simple solution that does not involve lawyers, courts and emotional distress.

iknow_t

join:2012-05-03
reply to UHF
said by UHF:

said by Mr Matt:

I was told that I should do a Chlorine Bleach Wash once a week, to disinfect the washer. I should do the Chlorine wash first, to reduce corrosion. I was told to always leave the door open when finished so the interior of the washer dries quickly

Bingo. As others have said, this seems to eliminate the problem. I've never had mold in mine, and the sales person told me to leave the door open. I do occasionally find my dumb cat in there, but she likes to hide in all sorts of goofy places.

the dispenser tray, and the opening it fits into, can get moldy too.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
reply to UHF
We used to run a tub-clean cycle periodically but have since stopped doing so. Now, on "laundry day" we wash dark clothes, then light clothes, and finish with whites. We wash the whites in bleach on the sanitary setting which uses "extra-hot" water.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...