Body Count
join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

Body Count

[crt/lcd] Reverse DVI switch?

I'm having a hard time finding a dedicated reverse DVI switch.

My computer is near my 60" LED TV. I have a dual monitor setup right now on my computer. I want to take one output of my video card and be able to switch it to my 60" TV.

I bought a DVI splitter from monoprice (»www.monoprice.com/Produc ··· D1011304) but I was getting no picture on my monitor and my TV didn't recognize it. So I'm guessing I need to find one with external power to amp up the signal.

I want to be able to watch movies on my 60" TV without having to crawl behind my computer to switch cables everytime I do. I just want to push a button and switch video output from my computer monitor to my TV.

I'm finding a lot of two inputs to one output, two computers hooked into one monitor. Just not one computer hooked into two monitors.
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

That splitter is DVI-A, in other words analog and mainly for converting down to the older HD15 VGA connector. Your computer monitor should have had no issues with that connection (depending on the cable used and all) but I seriously doubt your TV would like that connection.

You need a DVI-D splitter such as this one: »www.monoprice.com/Produc ··· D1011304

I'm curious what you are doing for sound? Do you want to use the TV's speakers or will you continue using your existing speakers or headphones? Sometimes DVI can carry audio (video card source dependent really) but to be sure you will need HDMI for that. There's HDMI splitters available as well if you have that output on your computer (and can adapt HDMI to DVI and sometimes VGA). What video card do you have?
Body Count
join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

Body Count

I found this after searching for a couple hours:

»www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· F8&psc=1

More than I wanted to pay but it's the only thing I found that says it's made for what I needed it for.

I'm using standard 3.5mm audio for sound plugging it into my TV soundbar.
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

What I linked should work just fine. The only real difference is that the one on Amazon has an amplifier in it and the other is passive. I doubt you need the amplifier unless you are going to push long distances or plan to split the signal a LOT (think splitter for TV displays at Best Buy or similar). It's cheap enough that I would get the passive one first, and then get the active one only if the passive one doesn't do what you need.