All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Deremus
join:2011-09-01
Chandler, AZ

Deremus

[Tech] Hamachi-like tools for virtual LAN parties?

Several years ago I was introduced to something called 'Hamachi' that enabled a user to create or join an internet IP that acted like a local area network. We used it to play various games where the local network would allow us to connect games with eachother that might not ever happen normally (things that didn't have robust or well designed play via internet; often older games).

Now I don't even know if Hamachi still exists as it did before, or if these types of tools have evolved at all.

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about trying to bring together something as fun and convenient as the VLAN parties were. So here are a few questions for my fellow PC gamers;

1. What kinds of experiences have you had putting together LAN parties in general?

2. Have you ever used a virtual LAN to play with family/friends? If so, what did you think of it?

3. Does anyone still currently use VLAN software today? If so, what is it?

4. If we had access to create some kind of VLAN, would anyone be interested in using it for DSLR LAN parties? (This assumes we take necessary precautions, like not posting login/server info publicly)

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

I haven't followed Hamachi for a while now, but it's now called Log Me In, don't know if that's still what you're looking for.

EQ

Deremus
Chandler, AZ

Deremus

Log Me In? I always assumed that was some kind of remote desktop tool only. Maybe I'd better take a closer look. Thanks!

stvnbrs
Premium Member
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC

stvnbrs to Deremus

Premium Member

to Deremus
It sounds like you want to create the ability for others to VPN into your network so that they look like they are locally connected, though physically separated. Take a look at This Website for more info, hope that helps!

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to Deremus

Premium Member

to Deremus
LogMeIn has several different products. LogMeIn Pro is for remote desktop, but LogMeIn Hamachi is what you're looking for.

»secure.logmein.com/produ ··· oad.aspx

Everyone just need to connect to the same VPN and the PCs will automatically think that you're all sharing a LAN.

Deremus
Chandler, AZ

Deremus

Ah, this sounds exactly like what I am looking for.

Still curious though, anybody have past experiences they can share with using it... like, did it work well you for you?

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

It's been a pretty long while since I've last used it... but there was nothing special or complicated. It worked without a problem and took less than a minute for someone to create a VPN and for the others to join it.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212 to Deremus

to Deremus
Doesn't hamiachi have a 5 user limit, including you, if you use the free version?