Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Edge1

Premium Member

to Edge1

Re: Been a long time...buddy needs to upgrade (inexpensively)

Did he try to reset the resolution on the desktop? Right-click the desktop background, go to screen resolution, and then adjust?

Edge1
But these go to 11.
Premium Member
join:2006-03-01
USA

Edge1

Premium Member

That was my first thought but then I'm like "nah, it can't be that simple" Have a text out to him now...
Edge1

Edge1 to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
OK he says the screen resolution drop down is at 640x480 and is greyed out. Display says "generic PnP monitor on standard VGA graphics. Yet its a DVI monitor. Man, I've been away from this stuff too long. Perhaps that's an option that needs addressed in BIOS?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Go to device manager, and I forget the exact label (on a work comp w/o admin privs atm), but I think it's under Displays. He can drop that down, uninstall or update the driver, and then tell it to go out and find one, or he can download the right one (for the display, not the iGPU), and point the installer at it.

Is he still using the DVI cable or a Dsub/VGA cable?

Edge1
But these go to 11.
Premium Member
USA

Edge1

Premium Member

If we only installed the drivers that came with the motherboard, can I assume he doesn't have the full set of drivers for the graphics portion of the processor?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

1 recommendation

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

He can download the latest drivers needed for his APU here:

»support.amd.com/en-us/download#

Edge1
But these go to 11.
Premium Member
USA

Edge1

Premium Member

Thanks again Kris - you're a good man!

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Just to be clear--what I initially described was changing the drivers used for the display--not the iGPU. I've never had to mess with display drivers before (I believe it prompts the system to re-detect what type it is), but it's another avenue if (re)installing the GPU drivers doesn't help at all.

Edge1
But these go to 11.
Premium Member
USA

Edge1

Premium Member

We're good. He needed the Catalyst graphics drivers . Also gave him a DVI cord...he was using VGA :P...thanks again!