Search similar:

uniqs

bmccoy
join:2013-03-18
Port Orchard, WA

bmccoy

Why Google Fiber won't be in Seattle anytime soon

»www.geekwire.com/2014/co ··· seattle/

1. There are too many 'tin foil hat' people that will protest against any fiber cabinets

2. Seattle City Light / CenturyLink jointly own most telephone poles in Seattle

3. Comcast / Wave Broadband already have coaxial/fiber networks strung on those poles

4. In the case that some poles are rotted and need to be replaced, the money for those poles will have to go out of Google's pockets (and trust me, thereare plenty of those poles that should've been replaced a long time ago.

chpalmer
join:2002-11-18
Belfair, WA
·Astound
·VOIPO

chpalmer

This is actually funny... I was just talking to a counterpart in Everett that has Frontier FTTH at his home. We are trying to figure out how to replace the Frontier router upstairs with a pfSense box.

Have learned a bit so far- but...

Could be a topic for the Dori Monson show...

bmccoy
Port Orchard, WA

bmccoy

Frontier FTTH is really crappy, as it isn't even as fast as cable nowadays. They desperately need to update their tiers to faster speeds.

Your options in Port Orchard are either:

CenturyLink

Comcast (maybe in a few areas close to Gorst)

Wave Broadband

Sprint

AT&T

Verizon

And T-Mobile.

Two wireline services are available, and that's it. CenturyLink still is using Bell System wiring throughout my entire neighborhood, and refuses to anything about their horrible reliability in this area. Wave Broadband is only better than Comcast because they're less greedy, and at least they're a local ISP. Wireless services around here are decent, but with lots of spotty reception on most networks.

Seriously, CenturyLink, why don't you AT LEAST put up some new twisted-pair copper lines, instead of using old, corroded single/untwisted pair lines? Better yet, why not put in some fiber so you can at least compete with the local cable companies?

chpalmer
Belfair, WA
·Astound
·VOIPO

chpalmer

He is stuck with Frontier until he moves or they give up their franchise.

DSL just became available in my area and they still can't touch Waves prices on the commercial tier. Though Im very happy at this point to keep Wave for their data offerings here. TV on the other hand may get the boot soon.

If you look hard enough Wave even has a form of IPv6 available now. Im not sure they want that out quite yet but oh well.

bmccoy
Port Orchard, WA

bmccoy

Wa...wa...wat? IPV6?!?! Where did you hear that?

I've been waiting for a while to get IPV6 for my game server...

Still, on my modem, IPV6 isn't enabled. Is it only for business accounts/static IPS?

chpalmer
Belfair, WA
·Astound
·VOIPO

chpalmer

PM'd ya.

Id love to see Google build out Bremerton. Wouldn't do me or you much good other than to maybe add some competition that would help control price increases.

Would also add some network backhaul to the area that would help with capacity and redundancy.

Seattle is so backwards in their thinking. At least it gives the radio talk show hosts something to talk about.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm to bmccoy

Premium Member

to bmccoy
said by bmccoy:

Still, on my modem, IPV6 isn't enabled.

Since you appear to be on cable with a cable modem:

I point to and quote..

#1 »[Internet] Buffalo, NY area CMTS now emitting IPv6 RAs
quote:
EDIT: One thing I had been wondering, and is finally answered: Does ipv6 depend on seeing ipv6 on the Motorola (SB6120) configuration page? No, it does not. "IPv4 Only" mode must mean for managing the modem itself, not what's attached to it.

#2 »Re: [Internet] IPv6 just appeared on my connection
quote:
The modem IP mode listed is for the management of the modem, not the end user IP.

#3 »[IPv6] Modem's IP Mode: IPv6 Only
quote:
The Modem IP Mode on the web interface only refers to the management side of the modem, but it means your CMTS is IPv6-enabled, so you are likely dual stack.

#4 »[IPv6] I'm a bit confused about IP6 and it's relation to me ....
quote:
Your cable modem has an additional IPv6 management interface address, that's all. It has no meaning to you or your network. Just ignore it.

If you want to use IPv6 as well as IPv4 on your network, that's another story. You will need to be in an area that has IPv6 service, and you will need an IPv6 compatible modem, router, and operating system on your PC.

ETC..

anon ipv6
@rcn.com

anon ipv6 to bmccoy

Anon

to bmccoy
said by bmccoy:

Is it only for business accounts/static IPS?

#1 Each ISP is different.

a) For Comcast, they started with residential.

b) For Verizon Land Line (DSL and FIOS, not cell phone), it appears they started with certain business(es).

#2 Your ISP I do not know, but I am sure he/she /somebody knows.....

#3 Long term future, everybody not just business(es).

bmccoy
Port Orchard, WA

1 edit

1 recommendation

bmccoy

Okay, IPV6 is really a ton of fun to set up on DD-WRT (not).

Where's a good RADVD/Startup script that will work properly with 6to4 on my WNDR3700? My Tomato router properly uses IPV6 when I set up the 6to4 tunnel, no problems there. On DD-WRT, there isn't a simple way to set up IPV6. It's a huge complicated mess, and unless I find a script that finally works, it just isn't worth the time needed to configure it.

I've been trying all of these scripts, to no avail.
»www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/inde ··· utorial)

Edit: Some dev at DD-WRT removed the ip command a long time ago, breaking all of these scripts. I give up.
bmccoy

1 recommendation

bmccoy

Okay, I just figured out how to get IPv6 a while ago. I'll open a new thread on that.