uniqs

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

1 recommendation

chachazz

Premium Member

Java 8 release is scheduled for March 18, 2014

Java 8 SE is currently scheduled for release on March 18, 2014.
The original schedule aimed to ship the release in early September 2013, but due to the recent focus on browser-related security issues that date was not achievable.

The most current pre-Release build is available via Java Early Access Downloads.

To celebrate the launch of Java SE 8, Oracle will host a live webcast on March 25th, 10am PST. Information here.

Note: Java 8 is not supported on Windows XP, however, Java 7 is currently scheduled to maintain public updates until March 2015. See the Supported Platforms page for more information.

When the release is available, it can be found at Oracle Java SE Downloads and likely at a later date at Java.com.

Critical Patch Update Schedule
Critical Patch Updates are released on the Tuesday closest to the 17th day of January, April, July and October. The next dates are:
• 15 April 2014
• 15 July 2014
• 14 October 2014
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

1 recommendation

HELLFIRE

MVM

said by chachazz:

Note: Java 8 is not supported on Windows XP

+1
said by chachazz:

-1, as evidenced in this thread when update 51 came out.
I'd better go give my colleauges a heads up about this... and line my pants with shingles.

Regards

GuruGuy
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
6 months later....who is running things there?

GILXA1226
MVM
join:2000-12-29
Dayton, OH

GILXA1226 to HELLFIRE

MVM

to HELLFIRE
said by HELLFIRE:

said by chachazz:

Note: Java 8 is not supported on Windows XP

+1
said by chachazz:

-1, as evidenced in this thread when update 51 came out.
I'd better go give my colleauges a heads up about this... and line my pants with shingles.

Regards

Not much of a need. I've been using the beta builds to play around with the new language features and I have not seen any adverse affects to any of my systems.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

What do you mean no need? Java speed tests are all messed up....even the ones here at dslr.

GILXA1226
MVM
Dayton, OH

GILXA1226

MVM

said by Mele20:

What do you mean no need? Java speed tests are all messed up....even the ones here at dslr.

Are they messed up because of the code signing changes, or because of something else?
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

That's a good question. It wasn't made clear in the bug thread on this issue so maybe it is something else not the code signing changes.
EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

1 recommendation

EdmundGerber to chachazz

to chachazz
People still use Java?

Oracle blew it - took too long in my opinion. Many have moved on.

GILXA1226
MVM
Dayton, OH

GILXA1226

MVM

for web based applets, yes. IMHO, they just just kill those off for good, that would remove a large number of the security vulnerabilities that hit java. For everything else, java is still very widely used.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

1 recommendation

antdude to EdmundGerber

Premium Member

to EdmundGerber
said by EdmundGerber:

People still use Java?

Oracle blew it - took too long in my opinion. Many have moved on.

I moved on. I will ONLY install it when it is required. Once I am done, then it goes away!

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member
join:2002-02-18

1 recommendation

Ctrl Alt Del to EdmundGerber

Premium Member

to EdmundGerber
said by EdmundGerber:

People still use Java?

Yes, lots of people. You just don't see it. Java powers the backend of lots of websites. Java on the desktop is dead, but Java on the server is alive and well. »www.wired.com/wiredenter ··· of-java/

Booost
@151.190.40.x

1 recommendation

Booost

Anon

said by Ctrl Alt Del:

Java on the desktop is dead,

Tell that to the tens of millions of Minecraft users.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member

1 recommendation

Ctrl Alt Del

Premium Member

said by Booost :

said by Ctrl Alt Del:

Java on the desktop is dead,

Tell that to the tens of millions of Minecraft users.

I do keep forgetting about that game. I think that game highhandedly is keeping desktop Java alive.

chachazz
Premium Member

chachazz

Premium Member

Released!

»www.oracle.com/technetwo ··· dex.html
JarmoP
join:2013-10-11
Finland

JarmoP to chachazz

to chachazz
I'll not install Java on my reinstalled windows 7. I used to do a bit java programming even, but not anymore.

It is one less attack surface and I don't know how I got hacked before the reinstall.

GuruGuy
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
said by chachazz:

The original schedule aimed to ship the release in early September 2013, but due to the recent focus on browser-related security issues that date was not achievable.

The most current pre-Release build is available via Java Early Access Downloads.

To celebrate the launch of Java SE 8, Oracle will host a live webcast on March 25th, 10am PST. Information here.

Note: Java 8 is not supported on Windows XP, however, Java 7 is currently scheduled to maintain public updates until March 2015. See the Supported Platforms page for more information.

When the release is available, it can be found at Oracle Java SE Downloads and likely at a later date at Java.com.

Critical Patch Update Schedule
Critical Patch Updates are released on the Tuesday closest to the 17th day of January, April, July and October. The next dates are:
• 15 April 2014
• 15 July 2014
• 14 October 2014

What is the new release schedule since this was delayed. Seems unlikely that there will be another on April 15th since this one came out on March 18th.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
What a mess! I installed both 32bit and 64bit versions (keeping earlier Java1.7.0.51 also).

Installing Java 8 REMOVES Java 1.7.0.51 from IE 10 but on Fx I had both versions available.

Java 8 does NOT work with Web 100 Java speed tests or with Visualware's speed tests (which have signed applets). Using the older version of Java on Fx the speed tests (which I had tested and were fine just before installing Java 8) would NOT work as long as Java 8 was also installed even though Java 8 was disabled.

nac.net Java speed test at this site worked with Java 8 but it was the ONLY Java speed test that did work.

Installing Java 8 screwed up my Java control panel also.

I had to use Restore Point Creator to a point before Java 8 was installed. This ticked me off because the ONLY reason I have Java is for the various Java speed tests which are quite superior to Flash speed tests for many reasons. So, a WARNING: at least on Windows 8, don't install Java 8 if you use Java for speed tests. Java 7 will continue to receive security patches so just stay with it.

Triple Helix
DNA
Premium Member
join:2007-07-26
Oshawa, ON

Triple Helix

Premium Member

It doesn't even work on there own Test site with all browsers Win 7 x64.

Version verification page: »java.com/en/download/ins ··· lled.jsp

TH

angussf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-11
Tucson, AZ

angussf to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
Is there any documentation of security patches that JRE 8 fixes that are unfixed in JRE 7u51?

goalieskates
Premium Member
join:2004-09-12
land of big

2 edits

1 recommendation

goalieskates to EdmundGerber

Premium Member

to EdmundGerber
said by EdmundGerber:

People still use Java?

Sure. Lots of them.

Why do people assume everybody is just like them and everybody runs the exact same things as they do? And then, secure in that delusion, they proceed to give advice as to what those others should do or run, because, well, "everybody" knows.

Only "everybody" doesn't. And an awful lot of people who push "Java is bad" have no problem whatsoever defending their use of Facebook. Because, um, security.
EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

EdmundGerber

said by goalieskates:

said by EdmundGerber:

People still use Java?

Sure. Lots of them.

Why do people assume everybody is just like them and everybody runs the exact same things as they do? And then, secure in that delusion, they proceed to give advice as to what those others should do or run, because, well, "everybody" knows.

Only "everybody" doesn't. And an awful lot of people who push "Java is bad" have no problem whatsoever defending their use of Facebook. Because, um, security.

Secure in that delusion? No - it's delusional that YOU believe Java is thriving.

And Facebook - who the flying fuck brought that up??? Speaking of delusions - my word. I don't even have a facebook or twitter account - so that 'theory' is shot down.

Java is garbage and will continue on as a niche product only. Some folks still have a need for it, but I can guarantee you most of them must be looking elsewhere for solutions give java's track record.

chachazz
Premium Member

chachazz to angussf

Premium Member

to angussf
said by angussf:

Is there any documentation of security patches that JRE 8 fixes that are unfixed in JRE 7u51?

Haven't seen such, howevever, here is the list of Security Enhancements in Java 8 - »download.java.net/jdk8/d ··· s-8.html

The next Critical Patch update is scheduled for April 15.
chachazz

1 edit

chachazz to Triple Helix

Premium Member

to Triple Helix
said by Triple Helix:

It doesn't even work on there own Test site with all browsers Win 7 x64.TH

Why would it work on their java.com site?
Java 8 isn't offered there...yet. It hasn't yet been offered on consumer level.
chachazz

1 edit

chachazz to GuruGuy

Premium Member

to GuruGuy
said by GuruGuy:

What is the new release schedule since this was delayed. Seems unlikely that there will be another on April 15th since this one came out on March 18th.

This is a major feature release.
The Critical Patch schedule has not changed on their site. We'll have to wait and see if Java 8 gets any security patches on April 18..
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to EdmundGerber

Premium Member

to EdmundGerber
said by EdmundGerber:

Java is garbage and will continue on as a niche product only. Some folks still have a need for it, but I can guarantee you most of them must be looking elsewhere for solutions give java's track record.

What is the problem for which a 'solution' is needed?

Java is a fairly decent programming language - safer than C++, for example (because no free pointers, no raw memory allocation).

Sure, I wouldn't use it for client-side web programming, but then, I wouldn't use any full-service programming language for client-side web programming, because in general no security-aware person wants to download and run real code.

But web programming is not all the programming in the world, and therefore Java is not universally in need of replacement. If you want to talk about programming language design, let's do that; but I get the sense that language aesthetics and pragmatics were not behind your 'garbage' comment.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member

Ctrl Alt Del to EdmundGerber

Premium Member

to EdmundGerber
said by EdmundGerber:

No - it's delusional that YOU believe Java is thriving.

Java is thriving: »www.wired.com/wiredenter ··· of-java/
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Triple Helix

Premium Member

to Triple Helix
Does this work?
»java.com/en/download/ins ··· tect=jre

The page you link to doesn't work to verify any of version Java. It's supposed to find old versions for removal but I never get a security prompt on any browser to continue the download. I do get the prompt on the link I gave.
Mele20

Mele20 to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
said by chachazz:

said by Triple Helix:

It worked with Java 8 to verify but not with the link Triple Helix See Profile gave. It worked with the link I just posted. I just couldn't get Java speed tests to work with Java 8 except for the nac.net test here.

Triple Helix
DNA
Premium Member
join:2007-07-26
Oshawa, ON

Triple Helix to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
said by chachazz:

said by Triple Helix:

Why don't you answer my question I sent you via PM?

cbrigante2
Wait til Next Year
Premium Member
join:2002-11-22
North Aurora, IL

cbrigante2 to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
That link does the same thing for me as the other one. Says I'm up to date (which is correct based on chachazz See Profile input). The link that Triple posted is where it directs you when you click "Do I Have Java" on www.java.com so they have the removal process in the wrong spot it seems?