uniqs

cautery
join:2001-03-09
Haughton, LA

cautery

Considering moving to Suddenlink

Currently use ATT for 6MB DSL and POTS.
Use Dish for HDTV/DVR.

* Dish recently bumped my price $10 a month, so I dropped to a much lower package.

*ATT (I have a free grandfathered static IP) isn't going to ever get better than 6Mbit (mine is 8Mbit for some reason, and I'm only 200' from the DSLAM).

*ATT has me on a 150GB cap, and I paid $60.00 EXTRA last month because we stream a lot on NETFLIX and Amazon Prime.

My DISH costs me about $78.99 a month for two HD/DVR receivers.
My ATT costs me about $90.00 a month for POTS/DSL IF I have no overages. $46.00 for DSL portion. This last bill hit me for $60.00 extra (300 GB over cap, but I think this included January and part of February).

I've already busted my cap for this billing period with 23 days left... Yeah, we're streaming a LOT and I don't see that coming down much in the foreseeable future.

So in total, I'm spending about $230.00 a month for a very basic SAT pkg, very basic POTS/LD package, and only 6Mbit DSL.

I hate to risk my DSL because it is rock frickin' solid with low pings 99% of the time, but that 150GB cap is killing me.

Our POTS is NOT our primary phone anymore, and we don't really need it, but wife wants to keep one, but she would go for the Cable provided service I'm sure since we can keep the same phone number. Cells are out main phones now.

I'm 99% sure we can get by just fine on the SL200 TV package... it looks to be slightly better than the package we have now.

And I would REALLY like to have better than 6-8Mbit broadband... and the cap is a bit better... 250GB or 350GB if we get a larger package. It would be 350GB, because IF I move, I'd be sure to get a package with ad speed over 30Mbit.

With all I have so far put above, please offer opinions as to whether I should go through the trouble of switching.

I'm an IS/IT guy and have the tools to do a custom broadcast quality coax install, etc.

I'm assuming that I would prefer to buy my own Cable Modem and Wired/Wireless Router.

Any guidance would be appreciated. I have only done Cable Internet once, and that was a long time ago.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

First, have you looked into what you can get from SL and at what price?

What speed internet can you get?
What TV packages can you get?
What about phone?
Security?

Then compare them.

What is most important to you? Price? Performance? TV?

After all that, then you can start to decide which is better for you.

Keep us posted.

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

moldypickle to cautery

Premium Member

to cautery
I'm not exactly sure what your actual question is here. This read more like a statement, lol.

As to the install, 1 port for tv/modem is included for free from the drop. If you already have a drop then you can prewire your house to the drop and the tech will likely just cut your ends off and install theirs (this annoys the piss out of me, but whatever). If you don't already have the outside box, then I would personally wait until after the install to do all the wiring. Doing it this way though, make sure he only runs one line or you will get charged.

Buying your own cable modem would DEF be worth while if you intend to hold service past a year. That's roughly the break even point on rental vs purchase. You can also get refurbs off amazon / ebay to get even lower initial price. Suddenlink has a supported modems list (just google that) but you can basically get any Docsis 3 compatible modem and it will work. I would recommend AGAINST getting any combo modem/router. Buy these devices separate. Easier to troubleshoot, more powerful router features and hardware, FAR more selection.

As far as a recommended router, well, that's strictly up to your price cap and desired feature set. Purchase price vs performance if fairly linear in the router market meaning you will usually get what you pay for. (i.e. the off the shelf $40 router will usually perform like it's cheap, lol)

If cell service is your main phone use now, I wouldn't even bother with the suddenlink phone line.

And you can also easily beat the $230/month price for SL200 and 50 meg interwebs. Price WILL vary, but since you're roughly where I'm at, expect to pay ~$150/month for it. That includes the rental fee for 1 HD box (need this for ANY vod service). Add an extra $12-16/month/dvr. Again, if you intend to use multiple tvs, just get the 1 jack installed and wire the rest latter since you can do this. OR try to negotiate a free install price in advanced (probably won't happen)

cautery
Haughton, LA

cautery to gatorkram

to gatorkram
According to the Suddenlink site, I can get all services TV, phone, Security and Internet up to 50Mbit.

And 50 Mbit would be what I would get so I could get the 350GB cap.

Most important to me... in descending order of importance.
Broadband Speed
Stability
TV base pkg meets minimum rqts. (it does)
Price

moldypickle
Premium Member
Haughton, LA

moldypickle

Premium Member

If you're remotely close to me, you'll be on the same node. Speed and stability are about 99% (there are occasional hiccups that happen with any isp)

cautery
Haughton, LA

cautery to moldypickle

to moldypickle
Sorry about that... I let it get too long.

MAIN DEAL: I don't want to let my grandfathered Static IP DSL go if I am going to have tons of problems with service.

I'm actually in Dogwood Park, near the Southcrest ATT DSLAM and get really reliable DSL but busting the 150 GB cap is killing me.

IF I could put everything on SL, it'd be great as long as it works.

I posted my priorities above...

Saving some money would be great, but I'd pay the same to get 50Mbit broadband access.

IF I switch, I will DEFINITELY be purchasing my own Modem. And I already have a pretty decent Wired/Wireless Router, but I'd likely get a newer/best one I can afford.

I've already got dual home runs of very high end coax running to all the TV locations, and plenty of length to move them over to the existing cable box... Just have to get some tech on what to run down from attic to the outside box, et al.

Don't think wife will let me NOT do the Cable Phone...

moldypickle
Premium Member
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

moldypickle

Premium Member

All you'd need to run outside is just one line really.

Dogwood is like 2-3 miles away, so you'll be on the same node. You shouldn't have any problems. If you are truely concerned though, just keep your dsl during the 30 money back period to test run it.

cautery
Haughton, LA

cautery

Thanks... I'm thinking I'm gonna have a long chat with SL tomorrow. Looks like $103 plus $28 for two HD/DVR plus I know there is taxes, fees, and other crap... but looks like I should be able to do a triple for significantly less than I am paying now.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram to cautery

Premium Member

to cautery
Welcome to Suddenlink!

A bit premature, but who can pass up going from 6mbit to 50mbit...

moldypickle
Premium Member
Haughton, LA

moldypickle to cautery

Premium Member

to cautery
103 for the same thing I'm getting,,,, I hate this company, lmao
dbamber
join:2003-02-07
Bandon, OR

dbamber to cautery

to cautery
I just left Centurylink for Suddenlink 2 weeks ago. I signed up for the 50 MB internet service only. Our old landline, and 1.5 MB "high speed" DSL service was running almost $78 a month. The difference between our old DSL service and The 50 MB cable internet service is almost unfathomable for me. The monthly promo price for 12 months is $55 a month, and goes up to $70 monthly after that. Even after paying for a new modem, and a $40 install fee we are saving over $150 a year. That savings is paying for Amazon Prime with free video streaming, and if we wanted a VOIP service like Walmarts $10 monthly service.However, we just don't see the need for a landline anymore. I have run multiple speed tests at various times and consistently averaged over 50 MB download speeds. I have had a few test with slower speeds, but that is the exception,and not the rule. Suddenlink's cable internet service gets a big thumbs up for me.