dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
dolphin1
join:2014-02-28

dolphin1

Re: Verizon FIOS Installation Question

My sister told me that the previous homeowner had just one verizon white box and that was in the basement. They did have 3 tv boxes on each floor but then again, that has zero relevance b/c we arent getting cable tv.

So from the looks of it, the cable wire that i saw in the 2nd floor in the bedroom, the wire was there but there was no tv there. So previous homeowner had cable wire there but no tv. The cable wire in the living room in the 2nd floor i saw, there was that hole and then the long wire. And of course in basement and 1st floor same thing.

So wouldn't that mean they could have installed the verizon fios WHITE box and the router in that living room area then since there was a cable coax there? Again im not sure if thats the name but there was a cable wire going through a hole there. He did open up the window near that whole in the living room and then they said they just going to do this in the bedroom.

Also, the cable wire in the bedroom in the 2nd floor, they took it out... so at the moment, theres no hole in the wall anymore as oppose to when previously when there was a hole and a cable wire.

Can someone give me advice on my last 3 replies back? Very frustrating with this b/c from what i read, if i could have installed that box in the basement and router there, then just bought a very fast router and connected to it in the basement to the verizon white box or router... which someone mentioned... internet would have fast signal right? Because when i said this, technicians didn't really seem to like this idea.

Also, does anyone know why that white verizon box from the previous homeowner is still in the basement?

Because at the moment, im thinking had i gotten cable internet installed instead of verizon fios... would i still have this issue? Wouldn't that be able to do the drilling in the living room area of the 2nd floor?

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member

If there was a an ONT in the basement, then it could have been put there. The router can be placed right next to it. Then YOU will run an Ethernet CAT5 cable to where you want it on an upper floor. Or you can PAY verizon to do it.
dolphin1

dolphin1

What do you mean it was all ripped out? The old verizon ONT box from the previous homeowner is STILL IN THE BASEMENT. So its not ripped out... or are you talking about something else here. Im confused.

Im in Brooklyn, NY.

Im not computer tech savy thats why i say strings as oppose to ethernet cable or coax cable. I know what an ethernet cable is. The 2 coax cables that i did see in the 2nd floor before verizon came, one was in the bedroom near the balcony area... the other was in the living room near a window to the backyard.

They didn't want to put the ONT in basement because the signal they say might not be good b/c its 2 floors down. IM bit confused at this. The router can be placed right next to it. You mean the verizon red/black one right? I wanted to know could you have the ONT in the basement, the verizon router connected right next to it, then CONNECT ANOTHER WIRELESS ROUTER TO IT WHERE WE GET A VERY GOOD ROUTER WITH SUPER STRONG SIGNAL and connect to it with ethernet cable and thus all 3 things will be right next to each other... that way we wouldn't be worried about the signal?

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to dolphin1

MVM

to dolphin1
said by dolphin1:

They did have 3 tv boxes on each floor but then again, that has zero relevance b/c we arent getting cable tv.

That's not correct. As has been mentioned several times already in this thread, the FIOS router can be installed anywhere the is a coax outlet. The FIOS router can connect to the ONT viax coax. This is independent of whether you get FIOS-TV or not.
said by dolphin1:

So wouldn't that mean they could have installed the verizon fios WHITE box and the router in that living room area then since there was a cable coax there?

Not necessarily. The ONT is usually installed where the FIBER comes into to the house (or on the outside of the house). From there, connections are distributed through the house for internet, phone and TV (depending on what you order).
said by dolphin1:

Also, does anyone know why that white verizon box from the previous homeowner is still in the basement?

Because it's connected to the fiber coming into the house?
Not sure why the tech would install another ONT if there was already one on the premises. That would mean he would have to rerun the fiber from the street (a big deal). The location of the ONT doesn't matter as long as there is a coax cable running from the ONT to where you wanted the router.
said by dolphin1:

Wouldn't that be able to do the drilling in the living room area of the 2nd floor?

No one here knows the layout of your house. You have been less than clear about what cables are where and where they run.
More Fiber

More Fiber to dolphin1

MVM

to dolphin1
said by dolphin1:

They didn't want to put the ONT in basement because the signal they say might not be good b/c its 2 floors down.

That makes no sense. There is no issue with the signal from the ONT traveling two floors. The ONT supports wired connections only. It is not wireless. Any wireless issues are a function of where the ROUTER is located.
said by dolphin1:

CONNECT ANOTHER WIRELESS ROUTER TO IT WHERE WE GET A VERY GOOD ROUTER WITH SUPER STRONG SIGNAL

If you want to do that you certainly can, although with the FIOS router placed in the middle of the house, you should get a decent signal throughout the house.

There are devices called MOCA extenders that let you place an Access Point anywhere you have a coax connection. This way you can leave the FIOS router in the basement if you wish and place a WAP on the second floor.
dolphin1

dolphin1 to More Fiber

to More Fiber
We only want verizon fios internet, no phone and no tv.

The person when doing the installation of the verizon fios thing, he had to climb up a very long ladder outside the front of the house in the street to do this.

What i can say is yes there is coax cable in the living room area where i wanted to put the verizon ONT, router there. I think only reason they didnt want to was b/c they would have to do this in the back/backyard of the house and the prefer the front and street?

The thing is they told me i could put the router in the living room even if the verizon ONT BOX is in the bedroom. But dont you still need a cable connecting the ONT BOX TO THE VERIZON ROUTER THOUGH? Because they said no you dont, we wouldnt want it b/c it would go from that bedroom to the living room and we dont want no cable in the floor from one area all the way to the other. But someone here says u have to have ONT Connected to the router via ethernet cable?
dolphin1

dolphin1 to More Fiber

to More Fiber
said by More Fiber:

said by dolphin1:

They didn't want to put the ONT in basement because the signal they say might not be good b/c its 2 floors down.

That makes no sense. There is no issue with the signal from the ONT traveling two floors. The ONT supports wired connections only. It is not wireless. Any wireless issues are a function of where the ROUTER is located.
said by dolphin1:

CONNECT ANOTHER WIRELESS ROUTER TO IT WHERE WE GET A VERY GOOD ROUTER WITH SUPER STRONG SIGNAL

If you want to do that you certainly can, although with the FIOS router placed in the middle of the house, you should get a decent signal throughout the house.

There are devices called MOCA extenders that let you place an Access Point anywhere you have a coax connection. This way you can leave the FIOS router in the basement if you wish and place a WAP on the second floor.

The reason why i wanted the ONT in living room was b/c i wanted a desktop there. That way the desktop computer would be connected to it and thus use a wired connection. Then the router would be there and thus wifi connection for my sisters room in that same floor.

The person did mention the access point but didnt discuss it that much b/c i wasnt familiar with it.

When you say i certainly do connect another wireless router to that verizon router and do this... wouldn't the ONT need to connect directly to the verizon router though? Im still confused about this b/c technician said no... but someone here previously said yes.

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to dolphin1

MVM

to dolphin1
said by dolphin1:

We only want verizon fios internet, no phone and no tv.

Understood. The point I was making was the fact that the previous owners had TV, the coax cables could be reused for connecting the router to the ONT.
said by dolphin1:

But dont you still need a cable connecting the ONT BOX TO THE VERIZON ROUTER THOUGH?

Yes.
said by dolphin1:

But someone here says u have to have ONT Connected to the router via ethernet cable?

What speed tier did you order?

Coax can only be used between the ONT and router for speed tiers under 100Mbps. If you ordered a speed tier over 100Mbps, then cat5 (ethernet) cable must be used between the ONT and the router.
More Fiber

1 edit

More Fiber to dolphin1

MVM

to dolphin1
said by dolphin1:

The reason why i wanted the ONT in living room was b/c i wanted a desktop there

Why do you care where the ONT is? You want the ROUTER near the desktop so you can have a wired connection. As long as the router can be connected to the ONT, you should not care where the ONT is.
said by dolphin1:

wouldn't the ONT need to connect directly to the verizon router though?

Yes. Either cat5 (ethernet) or coax.
said by dolphin1:

Im still confused about this b/c technician said no

I think you must have misunderstood the tech. The router MUST be hardwired to the ONT via cat5 or coax.
dolphin1

dolphin1 to More Fiber

to More Fiber
said by More Fiber:

said by More Fiber:

Just the 15/5 plan.
dolphin1

dolphin1 to More Fiber

to More Fiber
said by More Fiber:

But dont you still need a cable connecting the ONT BOX TO THE VERIZON ROUTER THOUGH?

The thing was the tech said after the verizon ONT BOX was installed, the router could be in the living room without a wire. So basically if i wanted the router right in the living room, then a cable will have to be connected from the bedroom all the way to the living room? if so, you can see why we wouldnt want this right as if you walking through there will be a cable from the floor all the way to the living room?
dolphin1

dolphin1 to More Fiber

to More Fiber
said by More Fiber:

Why do you care where the ONT is? You want the ROUTER near the desktop so you can have a wired connection. As long as the router can be connected to the ONT, you should care where the ONT is.

Hi. My sister did not like that the ONT was in the room. It was put where she wanted to put the couch and does it obstructed the space there.

Okay but if the router but be hardwired to the ONT via cat5 or coax, you can see why we wouldnt like this because you will have one of these go from her bedroom all the way to the living room where we put the router right? The thing is i wanted to do a wired connection as well for a desktop in living room and obviously wouldnt want to connect a 15 feet ethernet cable from it... to the bedroom.

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member

NOw we are going in circles.
The ONT can be moved into the basement if it is truly in the way now . You need to call in and have it moved. The router MUST be connected to the ONT by a coax or ethernet cable. You are on the 15/5 plan. it can be done over coax. You either need to have a cable run to the router to the first floor OR move the router to the basement aand run a CAT5 from a pc on the 1st floor down to the router. You will then need a CAT5 from the 2nd floor down to the router.
dolphin1

dolphin1

Hi, the ONT has been already removed from the 2nd floor. When my sister told she didn't like the ONT in the room, they removed it and then left.

Here is the issue with the last thing. You can't really connect a CAT5 from the 2nd floor all the way to the basement. Does that make sense? Because the only way to do this would be to have a cat5 wire connected to the router in the living room... but you would need that wire to go downstairs to the 1st floor... note the 2 family house we have... basically you open the main door... and as you go in... theres 2 doors with locks. The one to the right is the 1st floor... the one to the left you open it and have to walk up the stairs to the 2nd floor. So in order to do this, i would have to have a cat5 cable connected from router in living room down the steps, outside the apartment, then have that same cat5 cable go into the 1st floor apartment, then have it all the way go down to the basement.

Basically 2 ways to get into basement. From outside the house or through the 1st floor. The thing is if you put the cat5 cable from 2nd floor all the way to the ONT box in the basement, not only will the cable be in the floor and obstruct everything..... i think this cable would need to be close to 100 feet. Its a very long distance from living room to the basement b/c even by the time the cat5 wire reachs into the 1st floor... the basement access is all the way across the 1st floor living room and then you have to walk down the stairs and its all the way at the far end.

Does that give you a good picture of it?

The cat5 from the 2nd floor to the router would be just way too long...

blohner
join:2002-06-26
Lehigh Acres, FL

blohner

max distance for cat5 is 300 feet - I doubt your house is too big for a 300 feet run for 2nd floor to the router... I am very confused by this post... Maybe a drawing would help?
dolphin1

dolphin1

The issue not only is the distance... but if you want me to have that cat5 wire that connects from living room all the way to the basement, i basically will have a cat5 cable that would go from the router on a desk in the living room of the 2nd floor... it going on the floor... then the wire would be going down the staircase and right when i open the door, it would then have to go through the door next door which goes to the first floor then having the wire go all the way to the door of the basement and then all the way down.

We don't want to have a cable wire on the floor that goes 100 feet when we walking... does that make sense?

blohner
join:2002-06-26
Lehigh Acres, FL

blohner

Not really... You could 'fish' the wire through the walls - no need to run it exposed in the open...
dolphin1

dolphin1

What do you mean by fish the wire through the walls? Could they have done it or would i need to do this myself?

Okay so basically b/c there is a coax cable in the living room area... that mean they could have installed the ONT BOX THERE THEN? This is the most important part here b/c when they couldnt put it in that area, i was pretty upset and when my sister saw the ONT in her room and thus it blocks the area where she wants the couch to be at, then we had it removed.

So if we had let that ONT box stay at where it was when they installed it, in that bedroom, then if i wanted the router in the living room, there will be a cat5 or ethernet cable that will go through my sisters door for her bedroom to the living room? This is another confusing thing b/c the technician said no but ppl here said it has to be connected by a cat5 or ethernet. And reason is b/c we want the router in the living room...

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to dolphin1

MVM

to dolphin1
said by dolphin1:

The reason why i wanted the ONT in living room was b/c i wanted a desktop there.

As I said before, the location of the ONT is NOT determined by where you want your desktop. The location of the ONT is determined by where the FIBER comes into the house. If you move the ONT, then the techs must move the fiber to the new location of the ONT.

Fiber==ONT==coax or cat5==router==cat5==Desktop
said by dolphin1:

The thing was the tech said ... the router could be in the living room without a wire

Not true. There must be a run of coax or cat5 between the ONT and the router.
said by dolphin1:

My sister did not like that the ONT was in the room.

Then why the F didn't you leave it in the basement? Don't answer that. It was a rhetorical question. You wanted it next to the PC.
said by dolphin1:

What do you mean by fish the wire through the walls? Could they have done it or would i need to do this myself?

As I said before, VZ does not fish wires through walls. You would have to do this yourself, or hire a contractor to do it.
said by dolphin1:

Does anyone also know if the installation of fios and cable are similar?

The are similarities and differences. FIOS uses an ONT. Cable does not. Like cable, FIOS can use existing coax wiring, not just for TV (which you're not getting), but also to connect the router.
said by dolphin1:

i did not look to see where that coax cable goes to though

You need to understand where your coax cables go.
said by dolphin1:

Basically i want desktop in living room and have the router right there so i could use the internet wired... but my sister uses the wifi with here laptop in her bedroom.

Router in living room.
Connect the desktop PC to the router via cat5.
Connect the router to the coax where the previous owner's TV was to the ONT in basement.
Wifi from living room to sister's bedroom should be very strong.
Done. Simple. Stop trying to overly complicate it.
said by dolphin1:

i have no clue why the homeowner didn't take it out when they moved out.

When an occupant moves, the ONT which is VZ's property stays in place.
dolphin1

dolphin1

Not true. There must be a run of coax or cat5 between the ONT and the router.

That person said there was no wire needed when i said that....

Then why the F didn't you leave it in the basement? Don't answer that. It was a rhetorical question. You wanted it next to the PC.

We didn't leave it in the basement b/c the tech said since we planning to use internet only on 2nd floor, signal is not good enough. The PC isn't even the main reason its b/c they said no point of it in basement b/c of signal.

The are similarities and differences. FIOS uses an ONT. Cable does not. Like cable, FIOS can use existing coax wiring, not just for TV (which you're not getting), but also to connect the router.

In the bedroom area where the ONT was installed... there is a coax cable in that bedroom. They took out that coax cable and then drilled and did another thing to it. So if thats the case and there is the SAME COAX CABLE in the living room, why did they not do it there? There is a coax able in living room area and when you all say as long as there is a coax cable and a hole that there which the cable is there... u should be able to do this. Can someone answer this then?

Robotekkk
@verizon.net

Robotekkk

Anon

Why didnt u ask the installer these questions while he was there?

Nick5
@verizon.net

Nick5 to dolphin1

Anon

to dolphin1
said by dolphin1:

We didn't leave it in the basement b/c the tech said since we planning to use internet only on 2nd floor, signal is not good enough. The PC isn't even the main reason its b/c they said no point of it in basement b/c of signal.

There is only one plausible, but unlikely, scenario I can think of for this: The tech determined, by eyeballing or measuring resistance, that the cable from the ONT in the basement to the router in the living room wouldn't carry the signal well enough.

This seems unlikely because:

1. Unless you have a big house or really bad cabling, COAX tends to be able to carry a signal pretty well. Especially for FIOS which feeds it a strong signal to begin with.

2. The old owners had no problem with their triple play connection which is almost certainly more intensive the the 15/5 option you wanted.

3. FIOS techs typically want to do the least amount of work. Unless it was really bad, them saying no seems unlikely, especially if they knew you were signing up for a 15/5 plan.

But it is the only reason I can think of for a tech saying the signal isn't good enough.
dolphin1

dolphin1 to Robotekkk

to Robotekkk
said by Robotekkk :

Why didnt u ask the installer these questions while he was there?

What are you talking about? I asked them every single question that i had. I asked them would signal be fine if its all put in basement even though we in 2nd floor and they said signal isn't going to be good so we putting it 2nd floor. I asked why couldnt they put in living room and they said we just going to put it in the bedroom. I asked if the router would be in living room and wouldnt need any wire and they said no... and ppl here said yes.

The answer they gave is different from a few ones ppl here mentioned.
dolphin1

dolphin1 to Nick5

to Nick5
said by Nick5 :

said by dolphin1:

There is only one plausible, but unlikely, scenario I can think of for this: The tech determined, by eyeballing or measuring resistance, that the cable from the ONT in the basement to the router in the living room wouldn't carry the signal well enough.

This seems unlikely because:

1. Unless you have a big house or really bad cabling, COAX tends to be able to carry a signal pretty well. Especially for FIOS which feeds it a strong signal to begin with.

2. The old owners had no problem with their triple play connection which is almost certainly more intensive the the 15/5 option you wanted.

3. FIOS techs typically want to do the least amount of work. Unless it was really bad, them saying no seems unlikely, especially if they knew you were signing up for a 15/5 plan.

But it is the only reason I can think of for a tech saying the signal isn't good enough.

1. Yes the reason is absoultely b/c they saw the distance for 2 floors and figured signal is way too far.

2. Yes its more intensive than the 15/5 plan b/c they had all 3 stuff.

3. Yes im aware that technicians would want to have least amount of work. I have no idea if they knew we signing up for the 15/5 plan. They just know they installing internet.