What a long strange trip it's been
join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON

WhaleOilBee

Dashcam video - every once in a while

NVEExport.mp4.zip
32,202,522 bytes
you capture a real bonehead maneuver.

Leaving work this evening I had someone driving one of those behemoth pick-up trucks turn wide - right into my path. Had I not braked hard, he would have run right into me. You can't see the detail of the young girls on the sidewalk to the right, but I would wager a bet that the driver's eyes were focused more on them than on the road. Distracted driving?

Ignore the time-stamp, this dashcam loses its mind when the temperature stays below -10C; the internal rechargeable battery that keeps the time won't charge when it's so cold... bad design!
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

Looking at snow is annoying!
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi to WhaleOilBee

to WhaleOilBee
dash cam becoming very popular....watch this video "lucky to be alive"

»globalnews.ca/news/11928 ··· ularity/
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock to WhaleOilBee

Premium Member

to WhaleOilBee
Traffic has been awful the last week.

I had a coworker rear ended at 70 km/hr while wait to turn left.
I had a car blow through a red light and almost T-bone me.
I had a car forget to stop when pulling out of a parking lot, they panicked and stopped half in my lane. Swerving prevented that one.

I've thought about getting a dashboard cam. I drive around enough that I regularly see interesting things and near accidents.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to WhaleOilBee

Premium Member

to WhaleOilBee
You did well considering facing head on to that glaring sun. I did note with some amusement that you have the same real bendy wipers I have on my dashcam LOL.

WhaleOilBee
Manotick, ON

WhaleOilBee

In this area near the Canadian Tire Centre, one must be especially careful when there's an event just starting or ending. Sometimes pedestrians rushing to/from the arena dart out into the road. I cleaned the window to reduce the glare from the dirt as soon as I saw activity near the corner. I noticed the girls on the sidewalk were waving some kind of banners, so I was thinking they might try to cross the road. I wasn't expecting a vehicle to make such a lousy turn, but since I was paying close attention to the road ahead, nothing happened.

I don't ever want to see my dashcam video on the news as part of an accident investigation.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to WhaleOilBee

Premium Member

to WhaleOilBee
Just another a-hole that can't turn the steering wheel. Likely had phone or drink in hand.
graniterock
Premium Member
London, ON

Premium Member

to WhaleOilBee
This is probably the scariest one I've seen. I immediately thought of this thread when I saw it.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· E2Nxtm6o

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to graniterock

Premium Member

to graniterock
said by graniterock:

I had a car blow through a red light and almost T-bone me.

Had the same thing happen to me on Monday. Missed me by about an inch, if I didn't see him coming and floor it he probably would have got me.
graniterock
Premium Member
London, ON

graniterock

Premium Member

Young drivers taught me to look left to right even if you have a green and you think it's all clear. It's helped me a few times over the years.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather

Premium Member

Same here, in addition to not taking off the microsecond the light turns green. Too many self-absorbed assholes hoping to beat their red light.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I did look. And I even saw him coming. But it was a large intersection and he was far enough away that I thought he was going to stop. Bad judgement call on my part I guess. And it was only because I kept my eye on him and had the oh shit moment that I was able to get out of the way.
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to graniterock

to graniterock
Damn...
MichelR

MichelR to WhaleOilBee

to WhaleOilBee
My other guess was one hand holding a phone and steering with just one hand.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to graniterock

Premium Member

to graniterock
That's horrific.

WhaleOilBee
Manotick, ON

WhaleOilBee to graniterock

to graniterock
Yikes! It looks like the driver had no clear view of the exit lane, but suddenly realized that their exit was coming up, and that they had to skoot over across two lanes - only to find traffic stopped in the exit lane. Very foolish maneuver, but I can see how, in a moment of 'panic' about missing their exit, the driver thought that might work.

Really sad, looking at the debris field, some of the things appeared to belong to children. I don't think anybody could have survived those two collisions.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

THinking the same thing WhaleOilBee.
Many times I see accidents begging to occur because someone tries to force a situation that is untenable. Dont try to change 5 lanes at the last moment or turn left where its illegal, just keep driving a couple of blocks to fix the situation or in this drivers case, the next exit.
graniterock
Premium Member
London, ON

graniterock to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

I did look. And I even saw him coming. But it was a large intersection and he was far enough away that I thought he was going to stop. Bad judgement call on my part I guess. And it was only because I kept my eye on him and had the oh shit moment that I was able to get out of the way.

Not blaming you at all. Looking gave you the microsecond to live another day!
graniterock

Premium Member

to WhaleOilBee
said by WhaleOilBee:

Very foolish maneuver, but I can see how, in a moment of 'panic' about missing their exit, the driver thought that might work.

Although I've seen it enough that although for some I think for some it's a panic moment, for others it's just all a part of weaving through traffic.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to graniterock

Premium Member

to graniterock
said by graniterock:

Not blaming you at all. Looking gave you the microsecond to live another day!

It was the passenger side, I would have been fine. But the thought of having the wife and the kids in the car and having that happen makes me sick to my stomach.

WhaleOilBee
Manotick, ON

WhaleOilBee to graniterock

to graniterock
said by graniterock:

Young drivers taught me to look left to right even if you have a green and you think it's all clear. It's helped me a few times over the years.

My dad, a NYC cop, taught me to drive. First time I entered an intersection, after the light had turned green, I didn't look at the cross traffic. He asked me why I didn't look, and I said that "I had the green light". His reply was that would make a nice inscription on my grave's headstone. That lesson stuck in my head since.