dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
WonderGako
join:2014-03-07

WonderGako

Slow Upload speeds yet high download speeds?

Lately, I've been getting subpar upload speeds at times in the evening yet my download speeds are at optimal levels. 2 days ago I even had a technician come and set up a new line/modem yet for some reason upload speeds are still coming out around 0.07-0.21mbps. Keep in mind this is even when I bypassed my router and had a direct connection. It was fine last night and the one before that. Please help!
cowbawx
join:2002-03-04
Lawrence, NY

cowbawx

It could be your computer. IM me on here for help or AIM- CowBawx.

Note: Helping for FREE (cause I care).
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to WonderGako

to WonderGako
How are the signals to the modem? Near-zero speeds for both down & up tends not to be utilization capacity issues but RF issues somewhere. When they ran a new line, does that mean the modem connects directly outside or directly to the first splitter in your home, or are there additional splitters? If just the one splitter, I'd call CV back when it happens next. If the issue is something they can diagnose as outside then they may be able to have a tech address it directly outside, otherwise an in-home tech will need to make that determination/escalation.
GKnight5
join:2005-03-11
New York, NY

1 edit

GKnight5 to WonderGako

to WonderGako
@ WonderGako - so what happened, I presume the problem is fixed by now? Please do tell - I'm having exact same issue! It started happening this past Monday. Only during peak PM hours. If I run Speedtest in the morning, everything is great. I have Motorola SBV6220 modem and it's been great ever since I got it until this week that is. I checked signal levels and SNR and it looks good (2 dBmV signal & 36 dB SNR). Rebooting modem and router had no effect.

I'm on standard OOL package and typical speed I get when I'm not having the problem is ~17Mb dnload and 5Mb upload. When I do have problem the dnload speed is the same but upload crawls at ~0.05Mb on average and sometimes it's so slow, Speedtest hangs and test never finishes. I tried servers other than Optimum's with similar results.

Before someone asks - this is not a computer issue, I get same Speedtest results on an iPad and a smartphone - when I'm having the problem that is. Everything is great now but this is not peak hour.

This really looks like a network congestion issue. I posted more detailed message in the Direct Support forum, hopefully someone can help. I'm just wondering if it's me or there are other users with the same problem. I'm located on Long Island (Nassau).
jades
join:2013-04-01
New York, NY

jades to WonderGako

to WonderGako
One of our customers was having an issue where they were getting 50+ down and no more than 1 up

Had to pull teeth with Cablevision techs and customer support. At the end of the day they found noise on the line and after some investigation they found a wire chewed up somewhere on the poles that had to get replaced

You need to pull teeth and be lucky that this will occur when a tech is at your premesis. We had to demand a supervisor tech to come after 4 back to back techs came and thought they fixed it but same issue at the end of the day.
GKnight5
join:2005-03-11
New York, NY

GKnight5

I know what you mean about the chewed up cable. But in my case it really looks like a network congestion. It only occurs during peak PM hours (works like a clockwork), and I checked cable modem signals during that time and they were exactly the same as when I have no problem.

I had similar issue with *download* speed a couple of years back which was fixed by upgrading my modem to Docsis 3 so now I have 4 bonded downstream channels and 2 upstream channels. In other words, the fix was adding bonded channels to my modem. But now the upload is a bottleneck. Everything was great until last week. Wondering if it means both of the upload channels get congested during the peak time?
cowbawx
join:2002-03-04
Lawrence, NY

cowbawx

I seem to be having similar issues.