uniqs

BigReds42
Premium Member
join:2004-07-14
Bellaire, OH

BigReds42

Premium Member

Question about GS105

I am trying to network using the network switch GS105.

Here is basic synopsis:

Computer timing system in which I have 3 laptops and a video camera.

When I hook up the camera directly to a laptop (via Cat6 cable) everything works fine.

When I try to run the video camera through the switch, it seems to work fine for a while (activity lights on the switch constantly blink like they are supposed to). Then the lights on the switch go solid and the main laptop tells me that the camera has been removed and I have to reinitialize the video interface to get the camera to work again.

I can network and share files on all 3 laptops just fine.

After speaking with the manufacturer of the timing system, since the system is working as intended when hooked directly up to a laptop, the issue has to be the switch.

Question is: Is there some sort of setting in the switch I could change (like how you can admin a router)?

Could it just be a bad switch?

Any ideas as to what else I could look into?

Thanks in advance.
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

1 recommendation

daveinpoway

Premium Member

If it is a GS105E, that is a "Smart" Switch and you can change some settings; if it is a "plain" GS105 (with no suffix), that is an unmanaged switch and there is nothing to change.

In order to isolate if you have a bad port, have you tried using different ports on the switch? If some ports work and some don't, the switch is definitely bad and you should contact the place where you bought it in order to request a replacement.

BigReds42
Premium Member
join:2004-07-14
Bellaire, OH

1 recommendation

BigReds42

Premium Member

I tried all kinda of different combinations.

I actually had an OLD Linksys router that had a 4 port switch it it and except for being non-gigabit it worked just fine.

I actually bought a new switch Trendnet TEG-S50G and it works like a charm.