spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dolphin1

join:2014-02-28

TV Antenna Recommendations?

We are moving from manhattan to brooklyn. Back then we paid 80+ for time warner cable tv for about 70+ channels and we cancelled it b/c we didn't watch much tv anymore. So then we had to get an antenna in order to watch regular television channels. I had purchased this one on amazon back then, it was less than 10 bucks.

»www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT111-Basic-···+antenna

At first it was okay but after that, tv signal was very bad. Many times the tv would have no reception.. wait a bit then the channel would come back over and over again. I had read reviews that this antenna was decent at the time when i bought it so i figure well its 10 dollars and other ones are 40-60 and this one seem to get good reviews.

Well we are moving to another home so i want to get a good antenna. Does anyone have any good recommendations? We have 1 flat screen tv and will be buying another flat screen tv, though its going to be a pretty small one. And we want to have very good reception when watching tv. We thus wont have cable tv and will just have free tv but we want those main channels of course.

From looking at amazon, theres a few other antennas. One is an amazon one thats 20 dollars or so for regular performance, its 36 dollar for high performance and 61 dollars for extreme high performance.

»www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Perf···duct_top

Does anyone know if there is some big difference between these? I would figure the 20 dollar one is crap so im not going to bother with it.

Here are the other ones.

»www.amazon.com/Mohu-Leaf-Paper-T···+antenna

»www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751-Durabl···+antenna

»www.amazon.com/Winegard-HD7694P-···+antenna

We will be putting the antenna right beside each of the flat screen tv. From looking at this, i think the MOhu Leaf Paper Thin Indoor Antenna is probably the best one? Im curious but why are some indoors and some are outdoors? Why woudl someone put it outdoors because anyone who gets one of these, its because they aren't paying for cable/dish/direct tv and just want free tv with good receiption correct?

Thank you.

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
South Padre Island, TX
kudos:5
I have a thin antenna on one of my HDTVs that I bought from Home Depot. It works very well. It is mounted on an inside wall behind the TV. The wall is on the side of the house which faces the OKC antenna farm up on the north side of OKC.

»www.homedepot.com/p/Winegard-Fla···03972854

In my case I am 25 to 30 miles or so south of the antenna farm for the major TV stations in OKC.

I also have a ChannelMaster 3010 antenna up in my attic that is connected to my living room 50 inch HDTV. That also works well.

»www.homedepot.com/p/Channel-Mast···03763041

Look at the AntennaWeb site for help selecting an antenna...

»www.antennaweb.org

Uncle Paul

join:2003-02-04
USA
kudos:1
said by SoonerAl:

Look at the AntennaWeb site for help selecting an antenna...

»www.antennaweb.org

Start at Antennaweb to determine the kind of antenna you need, then move to selection.
Expand your moderator at work

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to dolphin1

Re: TV Antenna Recommendations?

You may want to check out this excellent article on Indoor OTA TV antennas for use in urban/close-suburban areas:

The Best Indoor HDTV Antenna (For Cities)
By Tim Moynihan, The Wirecutter - January 26, 2014
»thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-i···antenna/

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
reply to dolphin1
Its really funny how mystical this is to most... like OTA is something NEW... NOOOO

Always been here... how did people get so cable brainwashed? Which most places did not exist before the 80's

And you have an old disconnected antenna in your atic or on roof... it will work just fine with digital. There is no such thing as a digital antenna. Its still an analog RF wave digitally modulated.
--

OldCableGuy2

@communications.net
Installed dozens of these here in Iowa, not a single complaint: »www.amazon.com/Winegard-HD-1080-···+antenna

Work decent up to about 30 miles from the transmitters.

Cost to Much

@charter.com
I have been with Direct TV for almost 1.5 years and the prices are crazy. And worst of all i am losing the channels that I value the most. I will be switching to netflix and OTA antenna from here on out.. I think the first step is to find the range of my house to an antenna, using www.antennaweb.org. I have heard a lot of great things about the leaf and the curve. What are the advantages of those compared to a traditional antenna such as »www.antennasdirect.com/store/HDT···nas.html ?

Thanks!

OldCableGuy2

@communications.net
TV antennas outdoors are better than indoors.

Outdoor antenna ALWAYS will beat indoor.

There is no such thing as a "HDTV" antenna, all TV antennas will receive the digital signals fine. In fact my mother in law had a 40 year old TV antenna that works amazingly after the DTV conversion.

If your area has any stations that transmit on channel 2-13 (this is called the physical channel) you will need to get a VHF-UHF antenna. Some areas only have channels on 14 and above, then you can get UHF only. Antenna web will tell you this.

Good luck

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
reply to Cost to Much
Nothing. There is no advantage. See this test at Denny's Antenna Service »www.dennysantennaservice.com/bes···nna.html Notice the Lava antenna has no advantage over antennas made up of simple straight elements. It is the quality of the materials and how they are used and connected that determines reception quality.

There are good bow tie bay antennas such as this example, »www.channelmasterstore.com/Digit···28hd.htm, that use only straight elements.

ghosty

@comcast.net
reply to dolphin1
as others have suggested,

since you are in a major urban area, with lots of close strong tv air signals,
you should have no trouble getting good reception with either an indoor or outdoor antenna.
most of the digital channels are in what used to be the uhf band, so if you have an old circle or bowtie uhf antenna, that should be sufficient. for those you'll need one of the 300:75 ohm adapters to convert them to the screwin F connector, if you don't have one already.

for experimentation with "indoor", you can just insert one very thin strand of any wire into the center of the f connector, with length about 6' or less. my guess is that even that will get you ~10 channels ok.

those antennas will be fiddly, depending on their orientation compared to the transmitter.

for outdoor antennae, the old rule was that each doubling of height doubled the distance of reception.

you may also encounter, due to multiple reflections from urban buildings, ghost signals, where the left edge of the image is duplicated a bit to the right on screen. move the antenna til any of that goes away.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
"...you may also encounter, due to multiple reflections from urban buildings, ghost signals, where the left edge of the image is duplicated a bit to the right on screen. move the antenna til any of that goes away."

Not true the majority of the time in this age of ATSC digital OTA. What you get is macroblocking, compression artifacts, or frame freezes that fail to show the video correctly. There are still a few OTA analog signals out there from low power television stations that will act as you state, but most OTA stations are now digital. With ghosting you could still watch and listen to the analog show in many cases. In the digital era, the show becomes unwatchable.

Pacomartin

join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
reply to SoonerAl
said by SoonerAl:

Look at the AntennaWeb site for help selecting an antenna...»www.antennaweb.org

Also tvfool.com . I prefer tvfool since it will give you marginal stations, while antennaweb will only show stations that you are certain to get.

The best advice I can give is to start with your $8 antenna (if you still have it) and see what you get, then compare that with what the websites tell you should get. If you have thrown away your old antenna, then borrow one from a friend, or buy another $8 antenna. You can always use it for a secondary television.

If there are some channels that you badly want, and your web information tells you that they are difficult to tune in, then you have to spend the money on an attic or an outside antenna.

When I use tvfool.com it shows me that the closest three TV stations give me a signal between (-19 dBm and -34 dBm) which means that I can get them with a $5 antenna and 3' of cable. The fourth best signal is -77.6 dBm which means I probably won't get that signal with a 50' outdoor tower and a $300 antenna. So there is no reason for me to spend $100 on the best indoor antenna since there is nothing for me to receive.
Expand your moderator at work

dolphin1

reply to Pacomartin

Re: TV Antenna Recommendations?

Anyone else have recommendations? The tv we have here in brooklyn with the antenna the rca one doesn't seem to pick up channel 11 and channel 7 either. Also back in manhattan we had zero issues with it and now... there doesnt seem to be channel 4 hd nor channel 5. In manhattan we had no problems.

dolphin1

I did the paper clip thing. I did it with 2 different ones... one where the clip is an L shape where the other end of it pointed towards the ceiling and the other paper clip i made it where its a straight line... connection was worst than the antenna.

Does that mean the paper clip is going to be useless then? We are on the 2nd floor of the house.

I checked tvfool and it shows the signal is suppose to be good for certain channels where we could not pick up at all here.

So would buying a very good antenna from amazon solve this problem then?

If so anyone can give me some recommendations?

dolphin1

reply to dolphin1
Okay so right now, i took that antenna and put it in front of the tv... basically on the floor few inches from the front of the tv... the tv is put on a small desk so the antenna wire which u can extend etc doesn't go so high where it blocks the tv.

When i did this, i could pick up abc and pix11 but abc is not really good. However big problem with this is you dont want an antenna in the floor in front of the tv on the floor... so this means the place where the antenna is put at is very important right? We obviously always put it right in the back of the tv or to the right of it a bit on the same table as the tv but when we do this... theres no reception to channel abc and pix 11 at all.

If i get an antenna off amazon, would you guys recommend indoor or outdoor antenna? Is an outdoor one hard to install? This one is very easy to install as its basically just plug it in to the back of the TV and thats it.

I hear ppl mention outdoor antenna has to be outside but where outside? Isn't there going to be that cable that connects from back of the tv all the way to where the antenna is going to be put at though so you cant really put it at the attic or something?

dolphin1

Okay so i just read about outdoor/indoor and its mentioned you need to hire someone to do it which will cost few hundred dollars.

The thing is this. In that bedroom where the 32' samsung tv is at... theres a door that goes right outside... its like a patio but a very small one where you could put some chairs and just sit and relax... this is in front of our house. Our first floor doesn't have this, it just have some steps you could sit outside.

Would putting the outdoor antenna there be an alternative to putting it in the roof or attic? There is 0 percent i would be installing it myself at roof or attic b/c i have zero clue how to do these things. But could we just put it on the patio on the 2nd floor where the bedroom... theres basically 2 doors... one of course is go to the living room and the other that is to the patio on the 2nd floor?

Because right now my options im considering is get an outdoor antenna and do this... or just get a more expensive indoor antenna. Thoughts on which is my best option?

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
reply to dolphin1
Why don't you post your TVfool result at AVSforums HDTV technical forum , and/or the regional one.
»www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdtv-technical/

In urban areas multipath can be a problem, with signal bouncing off tall buildings.

Attic installation tends to be a crap shoot, building materials attenuate the signal and cause additional multipath. But is is much easier to install then on the roof.

We live in the boonies so rely on a roof top large deep fringe antenna.

/Tom

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
reply to dolphin1
said by dolphin1:

Okay so right now, i took that antenna and put it in front of the tv... basically on the floor few inches from the front of the tv... the tv is put on a small desk so the antenna wire which u can extend etc doesn't go so high where it blocks the tv.

When i did this, i could pick up abc and pix11 but abc is not really good. However big problem with this is you dont want an antenna in the floor in front of the tv on the floor... so this means the place where the antenna is put at is very important right? We obviously always put it right in the back of the tv or to the right of it a bit on the same table as the tv but when we do this... theres no reception to channel abc and pix 11 at all.

If i get an antenna off amazon, would you guys recommend indoor or outdoor antenna? Is an outdoor one hard to install? This one is very easy to install as its basically just plug it in to the back of the TV and thats it.

I hear ppl mention outdoor antenna has to be outside but where outside? Isn't there going to be that cable that connects from back of the tv all the way to where the antenna is going to be put at though so you cant really put it at the attic or something?

I started with an indoor antenna, but could only pick up half of the stations I really wanted, and the ones that did came in had major pixellation.

I tried rabbit ears, and the "flat" type against a wall facing the direction of the broadcasters.

I then decided to go with an outdoor antenna, and I picked one up from Home Depot for 40 bucks. I still had my DirecTV dish on the roof, so I took off the dish, and used the same mounting pole and same cables to hook up my outdoor antenna, and I got 131 channels.

BOOM! Everything came in crystal clear. 40 or so of those channels are in English, the rest in Spanish, and 5 or 6 different Asian languages. (Los Angeles market).

I got this antenna:

»[OTA] Antenna tip: Winegard FreeVision FV-30BB HDTV Antenna

(link to topic I made several months ago)
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"