Home of the BeaChi Boys
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Charter
·Vonage

Sunny, that's about the truest thing ever said about DST!

Personally, I hate the change in Spring, but love it in the Fall. I understand the need for it 100 years ago, when it first started; but we're not a farm economy anymore, so I wonder why it's still around. Although, it is nice having the daylight longer in the latter part of the day.

I had to pull an all-nighter last night, so watched the clock jump from 1:59am to 3:00am. I can remember, years ago, going around the house on Saturday night before going to bed, and changing all the clocks in the house.
--

"...If the beasts were gone, we would die from a great loneliness of spirit." - Chief Seattle

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 recommendations

reply to sortofageek

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23

2 recommendations

reply to jopfef

I had three uncles who farmed when I was a child. They were intelligent people (heaven help the city slicker who came to the countryside and tried to start a game of wits with them ) and could figure out when to arise and when to go to sleep without assistance from the gubberment, Jo.
--
Join Team Helix

jopfef
Home of the BeaChi Boys
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·Vonage

said by sortofageek:

I had three uncles who farmed when I was a child. They were intelligent people (heaven help the city slicker who came to the countryside and tried to start a game of wits with them ) and could figure out when to arise and when to go to sleep without assistance from the gubberment, Jo.

I would say that your uncles were highly intelligent individuals; they were smart enough to leave the "gubberment" out of their lives.

Now, if we could just get the "gubberment" to leave us alone these days!!!
--

"...If the beasts were gone, we would die from a great loneliness of spirit." - Chief Seattle

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

1 recommendation

reply to sortofageek

I can remember back in the forties and fifties when daylight savings time was repeatedly voted down in Michigan, many times till the big money people finally won.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

3 recommendations

reply to jopfef

I have heard people associate daylight saving with farming before but don't understand where that comes from. In all countries that introduced DST it has always been the farmers that were the most opposed to the idea since it has absolutely no meaning for them (try teaching a cow about DST!).

DST was invented for the increasingly larger industrial and administrative workforces specifically to preserve scarce resources in times of war (one of the original terms for DST was "war time"). That was when much of the energy consumption was for lighting. More modern studies of the impact of DST suggest that it actually results in a slight increase of the energy usage. If that is true, why doesn't anybody stop that nonsense of fiddling with the clocks ?
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-27
Out Grazing
Reviews:
·Shaw

3 recommendations

said by leibold:

More modern studies of the impact of DST suggest that it actually results in a slight increase of the energy usage.

It's kind of ironic that the earlier switch to DST in the US a few years ago was touted as a way to save energy. Given that I live a tad north, the earlier switch means that after finally getting to the point where it was light out when I got up to go to work, now I have to go back to getting up before sunrise for a while. As I said in a post a few weeks ago: It may be cold, but at least it's dark out! Yippee!
--
Jamais le mal n'aura le dernier mot. La foi et l'amour déplacent les montagnes de la haine.
- Marguerite (Maggy) Barankitse

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

1 recommendation

reply to sortofageek

The objections I hear the most around here is the children have to catch buses in the dark without it.

Icarus
Department Of Redundancy Department
Premium,Mod
join:2000-11-08
Off Center

1 recommendation

said by dandelion:

The objections I hear the most around here is the children have to catch buses in the dark without it.

I think thats exactly it these days.Here in town,because of the size of the town and school district and crazy early school start times,the high school kids are out between 6-615AM waiting for the bus.
--
Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.
Team Helix- Folding@Home and Rosetta@Home