share rss forum feed

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-08
Whitestone, NY
kudos:2

Candleabra CFL for Ceiling Fan

I'm looking to get a new ceiling fan to replace the existing one in my kitchen. However, I noticed that virtually all ceiling fans sold now use candelabra bulbs. I've never had to use them before till now so I'm a little confused on the CFL/LED options for them.

One I'm looking at is a 42 in. Westinghouse Ceiling Fan. The description states that it uses "2 candelabra-base 60-watt G16-1/2-light bulbs". Looking around on the HD website, I couldn't find anything for G16- 1/2 but I was hoping to use bulbs like this instead. Would these bulbs work in this ceiling fan?

Also, has anyone had experience with candleabra to medium base bulb converters? It seems like a good option to try so I can use regular bulbs but I don't know if they're good for ceiling fans.
--
Please use all available doors...you have 33 to choose from.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
I'd buy a different fan that doesn't require candelabra lamps. They are still out there. I hate candelabra lamps; I never have any on hand when I need them. The sockets don't seem to hold up well.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
I thought they couldn't manufacture ceiling fans with regular base bulbs anymore.

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
reply to Straphanger
You could put those cfl's in but remember you can't dim em.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
reply to robbin
There's still a few. They have 190W limiter. Total and complete government EPA bullshit.
--

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to Straphanger
You have lots of options, obviously the CFL bulbs you showed will work and they also make torpedo shaped CFL bulbs if the bulbs are visible in the fixture you are looking at. They also make LED bulbs with candelabra bases.
--
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO

1 recommendation

reply to Straphanger
You'd probably be better to just skip the CFL and go straight to LED if you do get a fan that uses candelabra lamps.
--

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
reply to Straphanger
said by Straphanger:

I noticed that virtually all ceiling fans sold now use candelabra bulbs.

Check these LED candelabra based bulbs out:

»www.lowes.com/pd_199170-28839-LC···cetInfo=

»www.lowes.com/pd_548547-75774-LC···cetInfo=

»www.lowes.com/pd_394796-75774-LC···cetInfo=

The initial cost is higher but they are dimmable. Quality of light they produce is excellent.

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-08
Whitestone, NY
kudos:2
reply to nunya
said by nunya:

You'd probably be better to just skip the CFL and go straight to LED if you do get a fan that uses candelabra lamps.

I was looking at the LED option (in the process of upgrading all of my lights) but it seems that the candelabra LED lights are mostly limited to 40W equivalent output. I was looking for 60W equivalents (800 lumen output) but haven't been able to find any decent ones for now. I don't have a dimmer circuit for this fan so dimming capability isn't important for me but I haven't even found non-dimmable 60W equivalent LED bulbs.
--
Please use all available doors...you have 33 to choose from.

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
join:2006-01-17
West Chester, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Straphanger
said by Straphanger:

Also, has anyone had experience with candleabra to medium base bulb converters? It seems like a good option to try so I can use regular bulbs but I don't know if they're good for ceiling fans.

I have 10 of those adapters in a chandelier, and a few other ceiling lights with the bulbs installed "base down".

The work great, seem sturdy enough, but I have never put them upside down with the added vibration of a fan.

I use the Cree LED bulbs from Home Depot with them, never had a problem with any of them.

The Cree LED bulbs do work fine on ceiling fans with a standard base, and are dimmable.

I probably have 25 of those Cree bulbs in my house in all kinds of light fixtures, never had a problem with one.
--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to nunya
Is the candelabra base bulb requirement so the fan will meet Energy Star requirements.

If you buy a non Energy Star fan then is it exempt from the candelabra base requirement or watt limiter requirement.

I replaced a ceiling fan back in 2008 and the fan I installed had the candelabra base bulbs. It's also a tight fit under the globe for CFLs. The light is hooked up to a occupancy sensor so it comes on when I enter the kitchen. There are two switches on the wall, one for the fan and one for the light.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
This link seems to describe it pretty well. It is the result of the Energy Policy Act of 2005 (EPACT2005).

»www.hansenwholesale.com/ceilingf···ghts.asp

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to Straphanger
Fixing the power limit is easy, all it takes is a pair of pliers and a wire nut.
There are CFL candelabra bulbs that look just like the "regular style". I have some in a chandelier. They are dimmable too... Go to the store, they may have a different selection than online.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to nunya
said by nunya:

I was always curious how do the LED candelabra look? Are they bright or brighter than the CFL version?