uniqs
share rss forum feed

steelaw
decade member
Premium
join:2004-07-23
Bronx, NY

[OOL] cutting the cord

well today i disconnected my tv/phone service and kept ultra for $75 a month.i tried to negotiate to stay with all my services for the same price but the rep wasn't hearing it and offered me a lower service.i said nope remove my services and 5 mins later 4 dashes on the cable box.so its true cable vision is taking a hard line with promotions.i guess ill have to wait 3 months and see what happens.

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ
So you failed to get free Video and Phone from them?
Wow, the really are cracking down.

steelaw
decade member
Premium
Bronx, NY
yes i tried.didnt offer me anything.the only way we are going to get them to lower the rates is for cable vision to lose customers.ill just get a indoor antenna.

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY
said by steelaw:

yes i tried.didnt offer me anything.the only way we are going to get them to lower the rates is for cable vision to lose customers.ill just get a indoor antenna.

But you are willing to pay $75 a month just for interent

steelaw
decade member
Premium
Bronx, NY
yes i am. no fios where i live and i need a high speed connection.my family has multiple internet based devices as well as netflix.im still saving over $100.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7
reply to steelaw
said by steelaw:

well today i disconnected my tv/phone service and kept ultra for $75 a month.i tried to negotiate to stay with all my services for the same price but the rep wasn't hearing it and offered me a lower service.i said nope remove my services and 5 mins later 4 dashes on the cable box.so its true cable vision is taking a hard line with promotions.i guess ill have to wait 3 months and see what happens.

$75 a month for Ultra what ? 50 ? 101 ?
$75 sounds like a "promotional" price because i wanted to "cut the cord" and stay on ultra 101 and discovered the price would have been over $100 just for that.
--
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata

SHoTTa35

@kfvaluation.com
It's sorta promotional.

the 101mbps for $74.90 is old BOOST+ users that were upgraded to 101/35 for free last year. That price was also only $60 at first because of promotions then they raised the fee $5 in January for basic anyways which brings it up to 74.90.

I still have it and while i don't need it 85% of the time, it's good to have it the other 15% when i really gotta grab a 3GB file before going to a clients space with their slow 15Mbps basic plans (or worse! DSL!).

I keep thinking i could drop back to the 50/25 plan and really be happy with that but haven't done it yet since that still costs $60-65/month so i'm just spending $10 more.

steelaw
decade member
Premium
Bronx, NY
You are correct shotta I pay 74.90 for ultra 101 and it is well worth it.try calling back lllllllll and see if you can get a better price.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
reply to steelaw
Don't you lose the Ultra 101 discount grandfathering if you are no longer a triple play customer?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
It seems to depend on how boost is tied to your account. If your boost price was part of a promo for having triple play (9.95 I think), then I guess they will remove it when switching you to Internet only.

The free Ultra101 upgrade was available to Internet only subscribers, too.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

steelaw
decade member
Premium
Bronx, NY

1 edit
i had boost then i got the free upgrade to ultra when the speed was raised.i called back to confirm and yup a different rep told me my bill is 74.90.i had boost ever since it was released i don't know if that made a difference.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

3 edits
reply to steelaw
Youre saving over $100 a year? They are saving tons of money as well on carriage fee's. More people cancel, the higher internet prices become. Simple logic. You arent teaching them any lessons.

Every headline you read on this website, DVR technology, piracy, Netflix, Aereo, Carriage fee disputes, Wifi technology, are all contributing to the slow evolution of MSO's becoming dumb-pipe ISP's with metered billing.

sandman9r
Premium
join:2003-11-09
Bronx, NY
reply to steelaw
Cutting my cord is still very expensive:

Optimum Value TV Package: $64.95

Basic Optimum Online Internet: $59.95

And now they hired coach Phil Jackson. I'm paying his salary.

broadbandmav

join:2014-01-08
New Rochelle, NY
said by sandman9r:

Cutting my cord is still very expensive:

Optimum Value TV Package: $64.95

Basic Optimum Online Internet: $59.95

And now they hired coach Phil Jackson. I'm paying his salary.

If you subscribe to TV, you should be getting a better rate on the internet service.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
reply to sandman9r
MSG is no longer owned by CV, though the primary owners are the same but the financials are reported completely separately

»www.sec.gov/cgi-bin/browse-edgar···tcompany

»www.sec.gov/cgi-bin/browse-edgar···tcompany
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

steelaw
decade member
Premium
Bronx, NY
reply to steelaw
So I went out and bought a digital antenna which cost me around $30.i get all the basic channels in crisp clear 1080 hd which optimum charges 20 a month or more depending on how many boxes you have.

dm145

Clifton, NJ
You over paid, no such thing as a digital antenna (marketing bs)
From the bronx you can probably use rabbit ears or even just speaker wire
I use speaker wire and recive all OTA digital channel from NJ as a backup if cable ever goes out

Ilsno

@optonline.net
Can you pick up digital signals on LI ?? Traditionally, we always needed cable tv service because the picture quality was poor in Suffolk County. We could pick up channel 55 and channel 8 out of Connecticut but the NYC signals weren't very good even with an antenna. I'm spending over 80 dollars on a package that includes lots of channels I hardly ever watch. I'm just waiting for the day HBO and Showtime let you subscribe via tablet and I can dump cable TV video entirely. The video services have gotten ridiculously overpriced and the bulk of it is reality TV type programming.

Ike2

@optonline.net
reply to dm145
Speaker wire?..........I use coaxial cable from the back of the TV split into two metal coat hangers. It did a pretty good job after hurricane Sandy.

dm145

Clifton, NJ
Yep, speaker wire connected to a 300-75 ohm adapter (into TV)
I split the wire towards the end into a Y and hang it behind drapes
I live around 10 mile outside of NYC
Picks up both VHF and UHF (Need to move it to get PBS)