uniqs

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to TheMole

Premium Member

to TheMole

Re: Is this a good printer (Brothers DCP-7065-DN)

You do realize, TheMole See Profile that by using DHCP if he/she turns off the printers everybody will loose connectivity.

Libra See Profile, you want to make sure the printer has a static IP address. By leaving at DHCP, you may lose connections between printer and PCs if the power goes out, you turn off the printer, etc.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

1 recommendation

HarryH3

Premium Member

said by Boricua:

You do realize, TheMole See Profile that by using DHCP if he/she turns off the printers everybody will loose connectivity.

Libra See Profile, you want to make sure the printer has a static IP address. By leaving at DHCP, you may lose connections between printer and PCs if the power goes out, you turn off the printer, etc.

The printer doesn't act as a DHCP server, it just gets its address FROM a DHCP server. Most printers these days also send a MAC address or other unique hardware ID to the print driver, so that the print driver can still find the printer, even if the DHCP server later assigns a different IP address to the printer.
Libra
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

Libra

Premium Member

said by HarryH3:

I gave the printer the IP address on the two additional installs. The Printer has a BRN number for the network.

With my HP printer it lost its connection and was assigned the IP this printer has. it did keep that number for a few months. I hope I'm lucky with this one.

Sincerely, Libra