spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

le wut la

@videotron.ca

The Quebec CRTC

The Chairman of Quebecor (videotron), PKP, resigned to run as a separatist with the coming election, how does all this work with telecom if Quebec does indeed separate (which would take years after any vote anyhow)?
(note, this may bring out some political overtones, but let's keep feelings and hardcore politics out of it).

With Videotron winning all that spectrum in Ontario, they would still be below the 10% threshold so that shouldn't be an issue. Right? But, what about foreign ownership?

The thing is, would people buy Videotron wireless services in On if Qc separated? Or does just the cost matter? If you wouldn't, and since Rogers and Videotron are network partners, would you go to Rogers wireless?

How does spectrum get reassigned in Qc? Does it?

How about all the small wholesalers? What if they suddenly had to become part of the Quebec CRTC? Wouldn't that increase their costs associated with filings and fights? Or would the added cost outweigh the serving of two CRTC's and maybe the servicing of Qc? Or maybe they just reg with a new Qc CRTC and just not partake in anything?

What happens to all the gov contracts (in the billions) that Telus has? Just one contract for the QC gov in Qc city is over 950-million and expires in 2019. Would Qc allow a foreign entiy/telco service Government?

Would a brand new CRTC starting from scratch just be better anyhow?

How would a Qc wholesaler like ebox, for example, come out of it? Would a 100% foreign owned wholesaler be allowed to operate in the rest of Canada? Is it allowed now? Would people still buy their services or would there be a bit of a bitterness there? Or would ebox have to drop out of wholesaling Rogers and maybe Bell Canada (we would have a Bell-Quebec and a Bell-Canada).

How would all this work? What are the issues that would occur?

What other telco issues are there, or Qc specific CRTC issues? How does it affect telecom outside of Qc?

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile

There are millions of questions like that all across many government functions. How Quebec (or Scotland) could afford to do that is just a huge question. Anything we write here would be pure speculation. Certainly many companies talk about leaving Quebec on separation.

From what I understand, the goal on the part of the separatist politicos is that they could negotiate for Canada to carry on providing services until the new Quebec could implement their own governmental agencies. So, there are questions not only of the final goals, but also the transitional goals too.

Way beyond our speculation. You need to ask the questions of the power seeking politicos!

le wut la

@videotron.ca

said by sbrook:

There are millions of questions like that all across many government functions. How Quebec (or Scotland) could afford to do that is just a huge question. Anything we write here would be pure speculation. Certainly many companies talk about leaving Quebec on separation.

Well yeah. The topic is just for fun and for speculation, or thinking up scenarios. Unless it gets heated for some reason of course. The whole process of instituting everything would take many years and many court battles. Pauline (and many of us) would have already been long dead of old age.

Just to fund a QC CRTC would require the incumbents and even the wholesalers to contribute to its existence, if they wanted to stay in the game here. There would surely be a tax. Not only on them, but of course on the services people pay as well.

I can also foresee that if this does happen and if the CRTC does something foolish, the very first thing young people will be up in arms about is their own QC-CRTC.

Also makes me wonder if PKP/PQ will play young people with this angle to get the young vote. I know I would.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

1 recommendation

reply to le wut la

There were rumblings that the PQ wanted their own CRTC even if they didn't separate.

While I'm a firm federalist, I wonder if we might actually be better off with a Quebec regulator; Quebec's wireless code is stronger in many respects than the CRTC's, for example...

le wut la

@videotron.ca

said by Guspaz:

There were rumblings that the PQ wanted their own CRTC even if they didn't separate.

While I'm a firm federalist, I wonder if we might actually be better off with a Quebec regulator; Quebec's wireless code is stronger in many respects than the CRTC's, for example...

Yup. As far as I'm aware of, QC has been calling for it's own CRTC for the past 9 years as a "start" to independence.

And yup, I also think QC could do lots better with its own CRTC. This Canadian CRTC is big failure in my eyes. It's nothing but regulatory red-tape that ignores the people. It could be started fresh and right with the Canadian CRTC rule book burned. QC could lead the way with its own CRTC on many different fronts or angles.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to le wut la

Actually having Quebec separate would be great for everyone in Ontario.

Bell would have to divest itself of all its Ontario assets (telco landline, cellular, broadcasting, TV) because it wouldn't be Canadian any longer (it's headquartered in Montreal), and there's no point in having a Bell Canada Act if the company isn't Canadian.

All contracts with the Canadian government would have to be voided and re-bid on solely by Canadian companies (shades of Allstream-Globealive).

The Feds could allocate Bell Mobility customers across the country in a ratio of 2/3'rd to 'new entrants', 1/6 each to Telus & Rogers, thereby creating three large roughly equal carriers in each region. Not that this is fundamentally better than what we have today, but at least it would prevent one dominant gorilla in any market.

Break those contracts!!
Let the bells of freedom ring!!
Functional separation at last!!!

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

said by MaynardKrebs:

Actually having Quebec separate would be great for everyone in Ontario....

Hmmmm.... !

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to le wut la

This is getting rather political, but losing Quebec would pretty dramatically change the Canadian political landscape. The current party in power has 166 out of 308 seats, giving them a 54% majority. If Quebec were not in parliament, however, the current ruling party would have had a 69% majority. It would be far harder for any of the opposition parties to form a government without Quebec.
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!

le wut la

@videotron.ca
reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

Bell would have to divest itself of all its Ontario assets (telco landline, cellular, broadcasting, TV) because it wouldn't be Canadian any longer (it's headquartered in Montreal), and there's no point in having a Bell Canada Act if the company isn't Canadian.

lol I wonder how that would work, eh?

What did Northern Telecom do?

Bell could/would do the same over the course of a week.

And as a friendly gesture of everlasting peace*, I give you Bell Canada. Take it. Please.

*It's kind of like giving you hides for the winter that are infested with smallpox eh?

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17

said by le wut la :

And as a friendly gesture of everlasting peace*, I give you Bell Canada. Take it. Please.

*It's kind of like giving you hides for the winter that are infested with smallpox eh?

Awesome!!
And in return let me sneeze ebola-laden droplets over you.
Salut, et bonne sante.

le wut la

@videotron.ca
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

It's not just consumer laws, but also privacy laws.

I don't think Bell could get away here with the mandatory profiling they are now doing with all their customers. The QC Charter would come down heavy on their *ss. QC's privcom already spoke out against it.

There are all sorts of things that could and would be different. And likely better. The CRTC just lets these vultures manipulate people in ways that it likely could not happen here with a QC-CRTC.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

Two small edits for you :

*ss > @ss

QC-CRTC > QCRTC

Gratis !

le wut la

@videotron.ca

QRTC?

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

Depends upon how short of an abbreviation you wish to use for Quebec

QC or just Q

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
reply to le wut la

said by le wut la :

QRTC?

More like CRTQ (en français )

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

I thought about that too, but checked their site, and they seem to have found a way to make CRTC match both languages, if I understood what I saw correctly.

EDIT :

Yes, so CRTQ then !

I changed the wrong 'C' when I looked the first time.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
reply to Guspaz

One could argue that Canadian politics would take a sharp turn to the economic right should Quebec ever separate, making the whole situation with the current composition of Parliament moot.

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed

1 recommendation

reply to le wut la

If they separate, this is all their problem, but they NEED to pay their part of the debt they are responsible for to the rest of Canada. Canada should not be supporting them from the point they separate.

I'm so tired of them threatening to leave, I could care less at this point.. Please GO!

To be honest, I don't think this is anything about the people in Quebec, but just some out of control politicians.

SHY
0x27
Premium
join:2010-06-21
Cote Saint-Luc, QC
reply to le wut la

With 17 billion in transfer payments for the last fiscal year from the rest of Canada, does anybody really think that Quebec could seperate and make an actual go of it? C'mon........really?

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by SHY:

With 17 billion in transfer payments for the last fiscal year from the rest of Canada, does anybody really think that Quebec could seperate and make an actual go of it? C'mon........really?

Nope, but if they leave, that's their problem... The rest of Canada should not support them if they are their own country as I'm sure they think we will.

rednekcowboy

join:2012-03-21
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to koreyb

said by koreyb:

If they separate, this is all their problem, but they NEED to pay their part of the debt they are responsible for to the rest of Canada. Canada should not be supporting them from the point they separate.

I'm so tired of them threatening to leave, I could care less at this point.. Please GO!

To be honest, I don't think this is anything about the people in Quebec, but just some out of control politicians.

Awesome post! Politicians here are on crack!

le wut la

@videotron.ca
reply to koreyb

said by koreyb:

I'm so tired of them threatening to leave, I could care less at this point..

Even the Quebec population is tired of it. I couldn't care less about separation myself. Keeping within the norms of this topic/forum....

I do believe QC should have it's own CRTC. It's time. Before separation or even with separation.
On it's own it can do better here for itself and for the people than what the harper gov is doing.

Nor would we have this weirdo group called PIAC telling us that the Quebec wireless code and its consumer laws have no standing.

So with it's own Quebec CRTC we get:
Actual privacy laws preventing what Bell is currently doing.
Consumer laws that actually protect people instead of these vulture telco's.
And no out of province PIAC group telling Quebecers their codes and consumer laws are no good with the current CRTC.

Everything I see thus far is a big plus with Quebec having its own CRTC. It should be pushed.

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON

Or... you know, just fix the CRTC.

dchdrake
Premium
join:2005-04-29
Windsor, ON

1 recommendation

We will probably see Quebec separate from Canada before that happens.

le wut la

@videotron.ca
reply to MichelR

said by MichelR:

Or... you know, just fix the CRTC.

People have been saying that for too many years now. It's time to kick them to the curb and start a Quebec CRTC.

How many more years should people wait before the CRTC even remotely lives up to its supposed mandate? I say frig em. Too late.

How many stupid groups like PIAC are going to come out siding with Bell and state Quebec consumer laws have no standing?

Quebec could have it's own CRTC before CNOC even gets a fair shake at wholesale rates and all the comes with it. The RoC can keep that CRTC. I'd vote for a new one any day.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to le wut la

If they do sepparate their little Quebec provincial borders as they're outlined today will be radically altered and in fact likely to be a whole hella smaller than it is currently. Smaller even than it was before confederation.

Its my guess the First Nations will want their land reclaimed and they'll independently rejoin the rest of Canada to the North. Everything under Montreal will probably have to join either New Brunswick or Ontario or both.

I just hope if Quebec does sepparate and build their own CRTQ they'll also take their sniveling little language police bureau's with 'em.
--

!- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -!
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = @TwiztedZero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

Bell would have to divest itself of all its Ontario assets (telco landline, cellular, broadcasting, TV) because it wouldn't be Canadian any longer

If separation was to ever happen, it would likely take 10+ years to sort out. That's more than enough time for Bell and any Qc-Canada companies to decide what they want to do. Don't expect any significant changes overnight or even within the first couple of years.

le wut la

@videotron.ca

said by InvalidError:

If separation was to ever happen, it would likely take 10+ years to sort out.

For a lot of things yes. For a Quebec CRTC, No. It's been in the planning for the better part of a decade. Infrastructure like telecom would be one of the first things to switch. Keep in mind both the PQ and Quebecor has constantly complained about the 10's of millions (or it is hundred of millions) going to the CRTC for such think as Canadian Content for English Canada

Geist had numbers up on his site one year (3-4 years back) citing the million just Videotron gives away. Pretty sure it was in the 100-millions.

Their withdrawal from the CRTC will be one of the first steps. Not 10 years down the road. Then the creation of their own institution.

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
kudos:1

Gives away? They have 0 english customers/viewers?

le wut la

@videotron.ca

Up above I attributed it to the PQ. My error that was the Bloc Quebecois, not the PQ. But same thing in the end. And yeah, they want it to stay right here in QC and not leave the prov. He's stated this a couple of times (it's on Geists site some place).

A Quebec CRTC could never be "arms length to the gov" like the current CRTC. It would have to have it's own authority over everything since with PKP in the ruling gov it would be a conflict of interest.

So that's another plus. No puppet strings like what our current CRTC has.