elshen
Premium Member
join:2002-04-03
Littleton, CO

elshen

Premium Member

Bonded DSL an option?

Hi,

I've been a Qwest customer for as long as I remember. I inquired to someone at Talk To Us in the past about faster upload speed and was told there were no plans to upgrade in my area. I was thinking maybe I should ask for bonded DSL but the same person at Talk To Us said no. Is there someone else I can talk to? I have 20/896 and recently Prism is available in my area but I can't understand why faster upload isn't available - there are other areas in Denver metro that has 5mbps upload. I'm at the point where I may have to go with Comcast (not a fan of Comcast to begin with) since it offers faster upload speeds.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

If 896k is the max upload available to you, then you are probably too far away from the DSLAM to get anything better. If you can get bonded DSL, you would end up with a 40/1.8 connection, but there may not be capacity or wire pairs available to provide it.

You can ask again, but if the TalkToUs guys say no, then you are not likely to find anyone else that will be able to help you.
coryw
join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw to elshen

to elshen
20/2 is also a valid tier. I lived in a home with 20m/896k and one of the options was to switch to a business account (CoreConnect or Office Internet) where they were happy to sell 20/2.

That location also had 40/2, but it was significantly more expensive than 20/2.
elshen
Premium Member
Littleton, CO

elshen

Premium Member

20/2 would suffice, I'd be happy for time being. Do I have to switch to business account? How much more would I have to pay? I won't be needing its email service or anything.
coryw
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw

You can get a business account, that was the direction I was going to go in, however some forum members have had success getting bonded on a residential account. It's apparently quite difficult and if you just want to get something going easily and quickly, the business account is likely the way to go.

On CoreConnect, the hosted e-mail and stuff doesn't really seem to be optional, although you do get a phone line with unlimited local and long distance service, which is nice.

Office Internet lets you deselect the hosting package, which saves you about $7.

At my old house, if i were to activate service today, 20/2 would be about $120/mo and 40/2 would be about $136. 12/2 is $92 if you can give up some of your download.

On CoreConnect, all of the speeds up to 20/2 are $85, and 40/2 is $145.

If you need a phone line anyway, CoreConnect may be a very good deal for you because at 20M, it increases your upload without the severe tax of bonded lines on the Office Internet product.

If you do not need a phone line, and you are paying a lot less than $85/mo already, you may be more inclined to fight the bonded residential fight.
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152

The 20/2 is pair-bonded service, as that's what i tried to order before i got put onto pair-bonded anyway.

What they do is pair-bond two 10032/1016kbps lines together to make it work (at least that's what my modem read before i ended up doing 40/5 pair bonded, and now it's 20063/2552 per pair)

Also, they do have residential plans for pair-bonded, but your first bill will generally be $120, then you have to call in for the correct plan code to be added.
elshen
Premium Member
Littleton, CO

elshen to coryw

Premium Member

to coryw
Looks there's not much options here. I am not going to pay $100/month for modest gain in upload speed. Comcast is offering better down and up speeds for relatively same price I am paying now. I've dealt with Comcast in the past and don't want to deal with them.

Anyway, I don't have landline and don't see the need for it so I guess I have to reach out to CL about bonded DSL again for residential. I think it's absurd if they can offer better upload speed through business account, they should be able to offer comparable speeds through residential account.
elshen

elshen to brad152

Premium Member

to brad152
brad152, if you don't mind my asking, how much are you paying for 40/5 pair bonded? I am more interested in getting better upload speed and if I can get 5 for upload, I'd consider 40/5. And how does it work, will they just run another line to your house?
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152

I live in a condo, and have old cat3 wiring coming inside. The tech just hooked up the yellow/black pair to a 2nd line coming into the NID, and my modem (Technicolor C2000T) just uses the inner pair (red/green) for DSL1 and the outer pair (black/yellow) for DSL2

Right now i pay $70/mo for unlimited landline and 40/5 internet. They did offer me $34.99/mo for 40/5 pair bonded as a standalone option when i called and inquired the other day, it was a one year contract though and i'm okay with having a landline so i stuck with the 5yr price lock at $70/mo
elshen
Premium Member
Littleton, CO

elshen

Premium Member

That's good to know how it's done.

That's not bad considering it is close to what I'm paying currently without landline. :-/ I'm paying close to $60/mo.
coryw
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw to elshen

to elshen
I think the reason it's so much more expensive (more than double the non-bonded speed in many cases, which is actually kind of odd) is because you're using another pair or port on the DSLAM, and as such, potentially preventing a neighbor from getting services at all.

Of course, it's sort of ridiculous because if your loop length were a little shorter, they could offer you 20/5, 40/5 or 40/20 on a single residential pair for just a few dollars more than you're paying now.

In general, it seems like your best bet is for PrismHSI to be deployed in your area, which seems to come over pair bonding, or to bother CL a lot until somebody can do it for you.
elshen
Premium Member
Littleton, CO

elshen

Premium Member

Prism is deployed in my area yet I was told that higher upload speeds aren't available and I'm stuck with 896kbps.. I've been in contact with Joey with TalkToUs so hopefully he can find out whether I can get it.
elshen

elshen

Premium Member

So, I got word from TalkToUs that bonded services are deployed in my area however they've reserved bonded services for business accounts. I've inquired as to why some folks on this forum managed to get bonded service on their residential accounts.

Midniteoyl
join:2013-11-22
Knox, IN

Midniteoyl

Depends on the area..

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby to elshen

to elshen
said by elshen:

So, I got word from TalkToUs that bonded services are deployed in my area however they've reserved bonded services for business accounts. I've inquired as to why some folks on this forum managed to get bonded service on their residential accounts.

When you put your address into the small business site, what service can you get?

»shop.centurylink.com/sma ··· usiness/

If you have cable available to you, you're lucky as most of us here don't have that choice.
elshen
Premium Member
Littleton, CO

elshen

Premium Member

It appears I can get up to 40/2 through small business however after talking to small business representative I was immediately turned off when I was told that 12/896kbps starts at 110/mo. I did not bother asking how much it would cost for 40/2.

The only reason I need faster upload is that I work from home most of the time and the upload speed is horrendous.

toby
Troy Mcclure
Seattle, WA

toby

said by elshen:

I was immediately turned off when I was told that 12/896kbps starts at 110/mo

I get 20/2 CoreConnect, which is $85 plus fees (about $10) plus taxes. Required a 3 year contract. 20 Mbps is the fastest you can get at this price.

I use remote desktop on my connection, works great. VPN iw good too.

You might want to look at the Comcast Business connection, no data cap.
gapmn
join:2013-11-10
Saint Paul, MN

gapmn

Toby,

Is Core Connect always a bonded connection?

toby
Troy Mcclure
Seattle, WA

toby

said by gapmn:

Is Core Connect always a bonded connection?

It can be any speed they offer, single or bonded. The $85 rate's max speed is 20 Mbps down, as coryw quotes above, the faster rates cost more.
coryw
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw

To add to this: in my experience if you're at a location that gets 20m/896k on residential with a single line, you can get 20/2 or 20/5 with bonding on CoreConnect for $85/mo, which gets you the upload, a phone line, and only breaks the bank a little bit.

Though if you don't have any specific need to stay with CL (an existing static IP you'd like to keep or anything like that) and you're otherwise ambivalent to your local cableco, it might be best to see what they have to offer -- although because most cablecos (even more than the telcos, it would seem) flat out don't believe you need upload performance, you may have varying luck.

My local cableco will happily sell me a 6m/768k line for $140/mo, and I'm in a situation where as much upstream throughput as I can get is ideal, (and often, I use more up than down anyway, so the biggest downer about 1.5m/896k DSL is that I'm on equipment and backhaul that will not support bonding.)

Good luck!
elshen
Premium Member
Littleton, CO

elshen

Premium Member

Thanks. I'll call small business again today. The other day I spoke to a representative and she didn't sound as if she knew pair bonded and just quoted 12/896 for $110/mo. I do have static IP and in the past I've had issue with Comcast blocking certain ports, VPN wouldn't work with certain clients, and so on. Comcast business offers 16/3 for $120 - around that based on the conversation I had with a representative last year and of course I didn't go for it. Too bad Google isn't aggressive in terms of deploying fiber in multiple cities. I'll make the switch in a blink.
elshen

elshen

Premium Member

Toby is correct. I spoke with CL business and was quoted $85/month for CoreConnect. 20/2 is what I can get and if I wanted faster download, it'll cost more. Also, if I didn't want landline, it'll be $124/mo. There's a good chance I won't have same static IP - they cannot convert my account to business so they'd have to create new one and I'd have to pay $25 activation for new static IP. Frustrating. I have to think some more and maybe reach out to Comcast business to see if they have some type of promotion. The CoreConnect package requires 3-year commitment and there's a early termination fee of $600 (prorated). I don't know of CL plans to upgrade its infrastructure in my area and allow for better upload speeds say in a year or two for residential accounts.

Midniteoyl
join:2013-11-22
Knox, IN

Midniteoyl

Click for full size
I pay $89.92 total for 2 8/896k DSL lines.. Running them through 2 modems into a load balancing router which gets me 16/1.6 most times and depending on application. Obviously, most aps, while being able to use both DSLs for D/Ling, can only use 1 for uploading so uploading is limited. But, if you have several peeps using the network, being able to limit them to just one line is pretty cool.. I currently have my g'kids limited to 2mbps down/188k up - as a group - along with sharing most other things (Roku) on one DSL as Preferred with my computer, wifes computer, and XBox as Preferred on the other DSL... The router balances between the DSLs if the bandwidth on one is over 80%.

toby
Troy Mcclure
Seattle, WA

toby to elshen

to elshen
You can go to this site and pop your address in to see what CL offers for your address. Anything above 40 Mbps, the prices get silly for residential users.
»shop.centurylink.com/sma ··· connect/

On a 20/2 data rate, you'll get realistic rates of 18/1.8

Ask for the promo »shop.centurylink.com/sma ··· loffers/

When I converted my residential account to the small business account, they waived just about all activation fees, including a technician visit because I agreed to the 3 year term.

But remember that you also have unlimited data traffic with a small business account, the rep on the phone reminded me of this. I think last month I went over 400 GB. Comcast business is also unlimited data traffic.
elshen
Premium Member
Littleton, CO

elshen

Premium Member

Thanks. With business account, I would get consistent speeds (18/1.8)? Currently, I get on average 16.3 down, .75 up - that is on 20/896 line.

toby
Troy Mcclure
Seattle, WA

toby

said by elshen:

With business account, I would get consistent speeds (18/1.8)? Currently, I get on average 16.3 down, .75 up - that is on 20/896 line.

I do, never had slower speeds, I'm really happy with the service so far.
I'm just disappointed in the speed offerings, if I lived further in town, I could get residential 40/20 for half this cost, but I'd zip through the data cap I think.