share rss forum feed

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2

Self interference killing me, filters?

I have a site that has 2 2ghz antennas, one airmax omni, that works well only on channel 6 (10mhz), and a mikrotik NV2 sector 120 degree also 10mhz, despite having a 6-11 or 6-1 configuration, the airmax omni kills the NV2 sector. They are 50 feet apart on 2 different silos yet its still horrid. I turn off the airmax omni and the sector works fine. about 18 customers on each.

Anyone NOT think a filter on the sector might fix this problem?
Anyone still use filters?
Whats the difference between a 3 pole, 4 pole and 8 pole? (besides price)

--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:6

1 recommendation

Generally speaking, more poles are better. L-Com has hi-Q filters for a reasonable price:

»www.l-com.com/bandpass-filter-rf···-filters

At that price you could put one on each antenna.

I'd also try shielding the sector...
--
When money men rain from the skies and shadow coins fly across the planet, then shall the New City fall into disgrace. Fortune and power dissipated like scraps of green paper. Look out below.

j2sw

join:2006-05-02
Williamsport, IN
reply to Inssomniak

Why the 2 2ghz antennas? If it were me I would dump the omni and spend the money you would use on a filter toward another couple of sectors.

Your other option, which is just another way to go, is put up a 5gh omni. Switch some of your users to that and keep the 2ghz sector.
--
»www.mtin.net/blog
»j2sw.mtin.net/blog

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
Cayuga, ON

said by j2sw:

Why the 2 2ghz antennas? If it were me I would dump the omni and spend the money you would use on a filter toward another couple of sectors.

Your other option, which is just another way to go, is put up a 5gh omni. Switch some of your users to that and keep the 2ghz sector.

The site is old and has a long complicated history.
It also has 5ghz and most whoever can be on it, already is.
I don't have the 2.4ghz real estate to be adding anything else and we just spent a lot of money and time to get it to be an airmax AP with no legacy G radios on it, and the remaining 18 are all mikrotik single chain .11n radios that we consolidated to here. This is the one that doesn't work right unless I shut off the airmax AP.

The omni I could put on the filters as well but its requires rigging to get it in there, SMA to N, need 2 of them, etc.

--
»www.optionsdsl.ca

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18
kudos:1
reply to Inssomniak

Sounds typical for .11N + TDMA. I'd choke both of them to be sure.

gunther_01
Premium
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL
reply to Inssomniak

We have a site with the same problem. We turned off Airmax and solved that issue. The other one we had we swapped everyone over to M series and turned off the other one.
--
»www.wirelessdatanet.net

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
Cayuga, ON
reply to Semaphore

So I got a filter for this one site and finally got to trying to install it yesterday. Its what I thought was a filter for channel 11.
I install it and my ground guy says no one connected, or some would pop in and out but really bad signals. Took it out.

I bench it (which is what I should have done first), and tests show the signals the test radio can see are the worst on channel 11, and the best at the start of the band, channel 1, by about 30db.

Can these things be defective? Damaged from dropping? the model number on the filter shows it to be correct? Ive never had any experience with these before.
--
»www.optionsdsl.ca

wolfcreek

join:2003-12-02
Pagosa Springs, CO
reply to Inssomniak

If you got the lcom one, it may not be broadband enough for the N spectrum mask i would put it on the Mikrotik omni if possible. They are only rated for b and g.
--
Remote Power Systems
Technician: Skywerx.com

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
Cayuga, ON

1 edit

I was putting it on the Mikrotik AP, and its a 10mhz AP that is also N.

I did some more testing, ( was just using site survey before), and this thing seems to have the best center at 2427mhz, much farther out of that the signals drop off fast and at 2447mhz I can't even get it to register to the AP. Nowhere near the channel 11 I ordered.

--
»www.optionsdsl.ca

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
reply to Inssomniak

Got a link to what you purchased...?

Killa200
Premium
join:2005-12-02
Southeast TN
reply to Inssomniak

Sounds like a channel 4 pass filter to me that got labeled wrong. Hit them up and see whats up.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
Cayuga, ON

1 recommendation

reply to John Galt

said by John Galt:

Got a link to what you purchased...?

»www.l-com.com/bandpass-filter-rf···2462-mhz
--
»www.optionsdsl.ca

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp

+1 on what Killa said...

LittleBill

join:2013-05-24
kudos:1

i'd send it back for that price

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
Cayuga, ON

1 recommendation

reply to John Galt

I got another filter from L-com and it works as expected! First one is either defective or mis-labelled.

Nice fast service too
--
»www.optionsdsl.ca

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
reply to Inssomniak

Did it solve your problem?

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
Cayuga, ON

said by John Galt:

Did it solve your problem?

One thing at a time!!! hahaha.

This was the bench test, tomorrow I climb to the top of the silo and put it in.

Anyone had any luck using aluminum tape on the back of antennas?
--
»www.optionsdsl.ca