LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya

MVM

[Help] Antifreeze conundrum (Mazda)

I have a 2005 Mazda 6i (4 cyl) with a date code 01/05. I cannot find what coolant this thing uses. I've found umpteen threads on the internet with no clear answer.
The factory coolant is red (pink). The manual says nothing except go to dealer. No stickers under the hood pertaining to coolant. Nothing on the radiator cap either.
Mazda dealer says I can come buy their coolant for $30 / gallon. I'd rather not.
Anybody know what kind of antifreeze this is?
mischief007
join:2011-03-07
Ingersoll, ON

mischief007

Does your Mazda dealer tell you what type of coolant the car uses? I know with VW, it has to be the pink G13 coolant or else you mess up your cooling system. I know of people that have converted to just the standard green coolant instead of sticking with manufacturer specific coolant.

RipTides
join:2002-05-25
Dallas, GA

RipTides to nunya

to nunya
Hmmm.. thought it was law that car manufacturers must state specific fluid types and capacities in the owners manuals.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to nunya

to nunya
quote:
I was surprised to learn that prior to the 2006 model year, North American Mazda6 vehicles were not equipped with a P-OAT coolant developed by CCI, the dominant Japanese coolant company. So I did some research. Unlike the Mazda3, Mazda MPV/5, Mazda MX-5 (Miata) Mazda RX-8, CX-7, and CX-9, the North American edition of the Mazda6 is built in Flat Rock MI by AutoAlliance International, a joint venture between Ford and Mazda that is operated by Ford.

Prior to 2009, Ford used G-05 coolant in Ford vehicles equipped with engines jointly developed with Mazda. On the other hand, Ford equipped Mazda6 vehicles prior to the 2006 model year with Motorcraft Specialty Orange Coolant (Dex-Cool). Since Mazda explicitly recommends against coolants containing silicates, Mazda North America evidently chose the only silicate-free coolant in the Motorcraft stable, Dex-Cool, in preference to G-05.

Meanwhile, Mazdas manufactured in Japan were equipped with Mazda-branded P-OAT coolants developed by CCI, Mazda Long Life Coolant (a first-generation P-OAT coolant) prior to 2005 and Mazda FL22 after 2005. FL22 is very similar to extended life coolants used in other Japanese vehicles. In 2006, Ford started equipping Mazda6 vehicles manufactured in North America with FL22, just like Mazdas manufactured in Japan. In 2009, Ford finally recognized the superiority of P-OAT coolants for Ford vehicles with Japanese engineered engines and introduced Motorcraft Specialty Green Coolant (reportedly identical to Mazda FL22) as factory fill in the Ford Edge, Flex, Fusion, Taurus, Mercury Milan, and Lincoln MKS, MKT and MKX vehicles.

It now looks like Ford Specialty Green Coolant may be the cost-effective alternative to Mazda FL22. Zerex Asian Vehicle Coolant is another option.

»www.bobistheoilguy.com/f ··· =1663564

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

Let's add a iron to the fire.... 99 VW Passat 1.8T... Requires G12 coolant. The local parts jockey says I can just run regular green. Any suggestions? G12 is hard to come by w/o going to VW. Even my local Napa doesn't have it!

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to aurgathor

MVM

to aurgathor
I've seen that post. Except mine isn't the orange stuff. Dex-Cool is a GM product. Mine's red / pink from the factory, and doesn't have the tell-tale "FL22" radiator cap. That's why I have a hard time believing that post.

The Mazda coolant is literally branded "Mazda Long Life" coolant, or something to that effect.

I'll say this: This is probably the last Mazda I'll ever buy. I paid cash for this SOB brand new in 2005. It's had one problem after another. It only has a little over 60,000 miles today. Almost every problem I've had has been widespread, but Mazda never recalled them. I hate car payments, but it's starting to look like a better alternative than spending every other weekend fixing something.
nunya

nunya to mischief007

MVM

to mischief007
Mazda dealer is towing the company line. They want to sell me their $30 / gal proprietary mix.

I think I'm just going to say f___ it and use the Prestone universal stuff.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to nunya

MVM

to nunya
If you are going to sell the car, why bother changing it?

Many long-life coolants are good for ~100,000 miles. What is the interval on yours?

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

I have to replace the thermostat assembly to clear a check engine light. The system has to be drained to get the t-stat assembly out. It's a PITA.
The interval is 105,000 or 60 months.

master1000
join:2001-02-22
Fort Pierre, SD

master1000

Drain into a clean container and reuse.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya

MVM

Is there anything wrong with using this stuff? »prestone.com/products/an ··· region=1

Prestone® Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant is compatible with ANY antifreeze/ coolant – regardless of color – for use in ALL makes and models of cars and light duty trucks. This patented formula provides a high degree of performance durability and carefully balanced protection against temperature extremes and rust corrosion of all cooling system metals, including aluminum.

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

jrs8084 to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
It has a little over 60K miles and you are working on it every other weekend?!? Unload the POS.

Save and refill as suggested, or toss in the universal stuff-it isn't like it can get much worse.
hosedagain3
join:2008-02-18
Canada

hosedagain3 to nunya

to nunya
I had a 2005 Mazda 3, I think they used 2 different types of fluid. On some cars there was on the fill bottle cap there was a special code number, if that code number is on the cap then you need to use what is specified. Mine didn't so I just used Prestone as you mentioned. try this site, search great forum.
www.torontomazda3.ca
also try
www.bobistheoilguy.com general forum about oil and other fluids

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel to neonhomer

to neonhomer
said by neonhomer:

Let's add a iron to the fire.... 99 VW Passat 1.8T... Requires G12 coolant. The local parts jockey says I can just run regular green. Any suggestions? G12 is hard to come by w/o going to VW. Even my local Napa doesn't have it!

NO!! You can't run regular green in it. Don't trust all the parts jockeys. It will corrode the system.

VW has to run either G11 purple or G12 Pink. Those two can be mixed. They are a phosphate and silicate free antifreeze. I haven't seen anything compatible to date. If you want to use a extended life off the shelf you need to thoroughly flush the entire cooling system first.

G-12 is a permanent antifreeze that doesn't need changed. Unless working on cooling system. So you use the G-12 (G11 isn't made anymore) or flush and convert it to a general extended life. It had something to do with the water quality in Europe that required it to have the specific formula antifreeze. So it is your choice as which to do. But if you convert it don't go with the regular green stuff or you won't be happy with the outcome. Extended life safe for aluminum only.
Beezel

Beezel to nunya

to nunya
Go to the dealer and ask about buying the antifreeze get them to show you the jug. Look at it and get the info off of it as to the name/type, etc. Then go from there to see if there is a compatible equivalent.

Kinda dirty to do it, but you have to do what you have to do.

lostinms
Moo
join:2001-11-29
Grenada, MS

lostinms to nunya

to nunya
My 86 mazda 626 which had belong to my wifes grandmother had dex cool in it. it is what the dealership she took it to put in it when she had it serviced last.

boogi man
join:2001-11-13
Jacksonville, FL

boogi man to nunya

to nunya
being the system is already empty or close to it, flush that thing out and fill up with the prestone.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

1 recommendation

mattmag to nunya

to nunya
said by nunya:

Is there anything wrong with using this stuff? »prestone.com/products/an ··· region=1

I would trust most anything under the Prestone label, and I sold many of their products over the years. They are keenly aware of all the incantations of mixes and blends out there, mostly because they manufacture a great deal of them under various private labels.

So short answer, nothing wrong with it, use it.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer to Beezel

Premium Member

to Beezel
said by Beezel:

If you want to use a extended life off the shelf you need to thoroughly flush the entire cooling system first.

Well, right now the motor is out of the car. I am putting another motor in (because the head is screwed up, and I got a good deal on a used motor). I would like to use the G12, mostly for the wow factor, but also because it's what belongs.

You should see the hoops I am going through to get a VW502/503 spec oil... My local Advance Auto Parts manager said they are starting to carry Pennzoil 5w-40 European formula. He showed me a bottle of it, and it says on the back VW502/503. Just the weight is off.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

1 recommendation

nunya

MVM

Well, it's a done deal. It was a 3 hour job to replace the thermostat (remember the good old days when it was a 10 minute job). I used a gallon of the Prestone and topped it off with the original out of the pan. I'm not going through all the "flushing" BS.
Check engine light has stayed off, but it was 80°+ here today. Supposed to be nasty, cold, and snowy tomorrow. That will be the test. The P0128 code (almost always a stuck thermostat) is a rampant problem with these cars. They should have been recalled.
mischief007
join:2011-03-07
Ingersoll, ON

mischief007 to nunya

to nunya
Good for you on getting it done.

Speaking of mixing coolant, had a customer with a 2000 TDI call in asking for head gasket pricing on an ALH diesel. A smaller shop did his heater core and mixed the G12 coolant and Prestone all makes and models. Well he now has major issues with his cooling system with a possibly blown headgasket.

I'm a stickler for sticking what came in the car, stick with it. With GMs and Dodge's you can get their required coolant in most stores. It seems like Mazda you can't and I know definitely VW you can't.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel to neonhomer

to neonhomer
said by neonhomer:

said by Beezel:

If you want to use a extended life off the shelf you need to thoroughly flush the entire cooling system first.

Well, right now the motor is out of the car. I am putting another motor in (because the head is screwed up, and I got a good deal on a used motor). I would like to use the G12, mostly for the wow factor, but also because it's what belongs.

You should see the hoops I am going through to get a VW502/503 spec oil... My local Advance Auto Parts manager said they are starting to carry Pennzoil 5w-40 European formula. He showed me a bottle of it, and it says on the back VW502/503. Just the weight is off.

I wouldn't worry about the factory oil. My 03 GTI 1.8T has been running Valvoline Syntec every since it's first oil change. Haven't had one problem with anything, even the bearings in the turbo are nice and smooth still. Over 103,000 miles and still going strong. Getting ready to replace the timing belt though. That will be fun since you do the water pump at the same time.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

Already doing it since the motor is out...
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to nunya

to nunya
said by nunya:

Well, it's a done deal. It was a 3 hour job to replace the thermostat (remember the good old days when it was a 10 minute job). I used a gallon of the Prestone and topped it off with the original out of the pan. I'm not going through all the "flushing" BS.
Check engine light has stayed off, but it was 80°+ here today. Supposed to be nasty, cold, and snowy tomorrow. That will be the test. The P0128 code (almost always a stuck thermostat) is a rampant problem with these cars. They should have been recalled.

I always hated changing a thermostat in certain cars, BUT the one that actually made it pleasant was the GM 2.0l that was in the sunbird and cavalier back in the day. Had a cap that looked like a radiator cap, you could change the thermostat in the parking lot at walmart while the wife was shopping. With all that was wrong with those cars, they did that right

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
if it is dexacool don't mix it with other coolants other wise you will have coolant sludge in your cooling system( might require a full tear down to clean it out)

drewis
Premium Member
join:2006-09-04
Hamilton, ON

drewis

Premium Member

I am a jeep guy, and our motors require a certain type of coolant. There are various additives that are provided for a certain spec coolant. If you are going to sell the car, use universal. If you were going to keep it, I would flush with distilled, buy the Zerex (or whatever your manufacturer recommends for spec) and be done with it. Dont want to turn this into a debate over 'if universal is okay' because it probably is, however they spec certain fluids for a reason.
85281231 (banned)
join:2014-02-01

85281231 (banned) to nunya

to nunya
said by nunya:

Well, it's a done deal. It was a 3 hour job to replace the thermostat (remember the good old days when it was a 10 minute job).

Some people ask why I don't like working on cars like I used to ... THAT'S one of the reasons.
said by nunya:

Check engine light has stayed off, but it was 80°+ here today. Supposed to be nasty, cold, and snowy tomorrow.

Isn't that some crazy $h!t?