jrs8084
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Musings about new printer. . . ideas?

Dang-I used to be a regular around here 10 years ago. At least I recognize some names. HiVolt and ThinkDiff are still around.

The 9 y/o HP inkjet is starting to give print head issues-time to retire. Its was a six color ink tank model.

My needs are simple: I mostly print checks from Quicken, and maybe a few other things. Color is nice, but I could give it up for a B&W laser. I don't print photos. On the few rare occasions I do, I could go via alternative printing. Printer is hooked to my Time Capsule, so I don't need wireless or ethernet.

I am leery of the AIOs-the other half would suddenly find a reason to make copies of everything and anything. I already have a scanner. But, if the AIO is the best route, I guess I go with that. And my scanner is getting old/having driver issues with Mavs.

If I go color inkjet, then I would prefer separate ink tanks. I had an old Epson with the tricolor tank and that raped me with ink. Print one sheet a month or 100-you used the same amount of ink as it was always "cleaning". I don't know if the class action suite resolved those shenanigans.

I have looked at B&W laser-but what is the build quality of those? They feel like equivalent to the plastic tray chocolate chip cookies come in.

For plain paper printer, I usually use 24 or 26# paper, so a straight paper path might be better, The HP often made some grinding noises in complaint.

Any ideas, or are they all equal low grade junk? From experience, I know the ink starts off cheap(er) and goes up a couple bucks each month. So, it would probably be wise to go with a newer ink format (if I go ink jet.)

If I go laser, does that toner "time out" even if I don't print? I know the old ones didn't, but who knows today. I had an old LaserWriter Plus I kept for years because the toner didn't go bad.

TIA for advice.

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
Brother all in one laser
»www.brother-usa.com/MFC/ModelDet···RHtybfic
Outstanding!

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
reply to jrs8084
i just picked up the hp8600. color inkjet -- with (4) ink reservoirs. the premium model gives you duplexer and additional paper tray (i get 250 sheets/tray).
pretty cheap off amazon. networked. aio. eprint. pretty nice unit (plus the pdf scan size is actually sane -- and not the 50meg copies of tiff files that most home scanners produce).

»reviews.cnet.com/multifunction-d···788.html

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
I've had a HP OfficeJet 8500 networked printer for 3 or 4 years. Very happy with it and the 4 ink reservoirs. I would have thought I would have needed to replace the print head by now but everything is still working great.

haroldo

united state
reply to haroldo
Lasers, in the long run are a lot cheaper since a cartridge lasts 2000 sheets of paper

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

1 recommendation

reply to jrs8084
If you're not doing photos...go laser. Much more economical to run. Ink jet printers are "money pits" for ink cartridges.

jrs8084
Premium
Statesville, NC
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
Thanks all-I might pursue the laser route. The two models noted-I will have to look at those in person, but they do appear a tad large. I keep my printer on a stand. But, I will keep an open mind.

Does anyone know definitively if certain laser models will lock out the cartridge after a period of time.

The other question: do lasers still have the complicated paper path like a laser printer (or photocopier) in the past? My heavy stock Quicken checks might not like that. . .:-( I only print a few a month, though.

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC
reply to haroldo
This is the exact printer I have at home on my desk. Cannot recommend it highly enough.

haroldo

united state
reply to jrs8084
said by jrs8084:

Does anyone know definitively if certain laser models will lock out the cartridge after a period of time.

Not sure what that means, but get the Brother, it just works

said by jrs8084:

The other question: do lasers still have the complicated paper path like a laser printer (or photocopier) in the past? My heavy stock Quicken checks might not like that. . .:-( I only print a few a month, though.

Not positive, I've used heavier grade paper, but not sure about "heavy stock". Go to the Brother forum?

In any event, it's a great printer.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
reply to jrs8084
I bought an HP Officejet Pro X 476dw... It's insanely awesome. Full-page inkjet, but at better-than.-laser pricing. Also prints ~50ppm. Overkill, but I do a lot of printing for work.

haroldo

united state
Laser cartridges print up to 2600 pages for $47 or $0.018 cents per page
»www.amazon.com/Brother-TN450-Yie···03YFHCKY
Ink jet cartridges print up to 1000 pages for $33 or $.033 cents per page
»www.amazon.com/Hewlett-Packard-9···06M1MHSO

Laser prints ~25 pages per minute
Ink jet prints ~7 pages per minute

Either one gets the job done, find what works best for you

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by haroldo:

Laser cartridges print up to 2600 pages for $47 or $0.018 cents per page
»www.amazon.com/Brother-TN450-Yie···03YFHCKY
Ink jet cartridges print up to 1000 pages for $33 or $.033 cents per page
»www.amazon.com/Hewlett-Packard-9···06M1MHSO

Laser prints ~25 pages per minute
Ink jet prints ~7 pages per minute

Either one gets the job done, find what works best for you

or, the Officejet Pro X576 prints ~55ppm. Cartridge is good for 9,200 pages @ $119 - or 0.012cpp.

»www8.hp.com/us/en/products/oas/p···features

Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net
reply to jrs8084
My cheapie HP Laser just uses a simple U path. If it had a built-in duplexer, the path would be more complicated, though.

Don't buy a very recently released printer. The driver support in OS X is likely to be terrible, and the software you'll have to download will be even worse. If you can find a model they are selling new but that came out a year or two ago, it's likely Mavericks will have rolled up the driver into the OS, so it will work straight out of the box.

It took approximately 2 years after I bought my printer before the drivers were stable enough to print something when it was connected to an Airport.
--
-Ryan
I use Linux, OS X, iOS and Windows. Let the OS wars die.

jrs8084
Premium
Statesville, NC
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to haroldo
Thanks all. I am going to go look in person.

Haroldo: I have heard good things in the past regarding Brother. re: "locking out": 2000 pages would probably last me 5 years. With some ink jet cartridges, they would give warning/then refuse to work after a certain timespan (say two years)-even if they were working fine/full. Older lasers didn't do this, but I was wondering if the cheaper lasers do to make $$ on the consumables.

Re: PPM: slow is fine for me, I rarely print a lot at once. Actually, my current ink jet prints something like up to 34 PPM, and i always slow it down (increase print quality). It about tears the paper through the path, the ink head is flying back and fourth rocking the unit, and then it flings the paper out across the desk. I think the slower speed is a bit more gentle on the mechanics!

Daemon: good point about the drivers. I never had that issue (and mine were always directly supported under X) I certainly don't want something flakey. On the flip side, I saw specs for some that supported 10.3-10.5. Obviously, it might work on later, but that spec was written for a pretty old design.

Again, I appreciate all your input: do any of you know what the current draw is when the fuser is warming up? I don't need numbers, but is it as significant as it was with older lasers? (It drew like 12 amps during warmup.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:17

1 edit
reply to haroldo
Do any of the current AIO Color lasers from Brother support AirPrint? Have you used it?

My current 9320 isn't made any more and doesn't support AirPrint but is a really good printer when used with quality consumables. My wife is in the market for a new work printer and would like it to have AirPrint.

My brother has a low toner print lockout but it's easily bypassed with a service button combo easily found on the net. Then it'll print till it's out of toner.
--
I'll make it work.... hand me that BFR.

haroldo

united state
Don't know, check the web site. My one predates AirPrint, but there's an easy to use app for (non AirPrint) Brother printers so you can print from iOS.

jrs8084
Premium
Statesville, NC
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit
reply to jrs8084
Update: I went to the store and looked for a good hour. It didn't take long to rule out ink jets or AIOs. It was deciding on a small, light duty either Epson or HP. Comparing toner costs and consumables, the HP won out. Well, the store didn't even sell the consumables for the Brother which wasn't exactly convenient.

I settled on a simpel LJ Pro 1606dn. My needs are light, and the small footprint won out. It certainly is faster than my old ink jet with its 45 second "Device Maintenance" every print out.

Thanks again, your advice helped!