Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

damir

join:2013-12-12
CANADA

LTE Rocket - from Rogers or?

Hello all,

I am looking for internet stick *lte\wireless* access.

I have my own business, and i work from home.

Anyway, when summer comes, i don't want to be limited to my home all the time.
I would like to be able to take my laptop to different locations and have internet access all the time.

I was looking into this: »www.rogers.com/web/content/mobil···et#stick

Any1 have experience with this ? what would you recommend?

Thanks!

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
iPhone with wireless hotspot.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to damir
Information about your usage habits, requirements, and budget would be helpful.

damir

CANADA
i need access to www \ e-mail only, no large downloads, or anything like that. (i would be happy to have at least 1 mbit stable connection) or so.

budget ... i was thinking of buying the stick (around 200 one time i belive - so, there is no contract ? ) and i was thinking around 50-70 a month, during the summer, and then to cancel .. during the winter etc.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
$45 will get you around 5GB of data with the Big 3. You should check their coverage maps and see who LTE in the areas you frequent. Generally Rogers has a smaller LTE footprint but faster speeds due to their widely deployed 2600mhz spectrum. Bell/Telus generally have more cities covered with LTE but their speeds are not as fast as Rogers.

damir

CANADA
I am located in Kitchener, i have LTE (almost anywhere i go around the city, even Waterloo), so, i am not sure if this is the same?

as for Bell\Telus, i believe Bell doesnt allow buyin out the stick (without a contract) this is something i dont want to do.

I would like to be contract free on this, even if i have to pay $300 stick, it would be fine.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
Does your existing cell phone plan include LTE? How much data? Does it allow tethering? Many business plans do. I use that solution at my cottage at Sauble.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

damir

CANADA
It does, and i can tether, but, only 1GB there from Rogers.

I was thinking about that too, maybe for additional 10-20 bucks i can get more GB's ? Ill give them a call about this as well.

Thanks

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
My Telus plan allows 6 Gb of data/month. I've never exceeded that. It's cheaper than a rocket stick.
--

damir

CANADA
That is good data plan

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
reply to damir
Check out tethering with Wind.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to damir
said by damir:

That is good data plan

Telus Business. I never deal with the consumer side, any more.
--

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
reply to MaynardKrebs
IIRC they're in the k dub so that might be an affordable option for the OP
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

damir

CANADA
Ill check Telus as well, thanks guys!

my wife has Wind (unlimited), i am just not sure their coverage is good, for the places i am thinking to use this for.

Ill check maps as well.

taraf

join:2011-05-07
Stittsville, ON
reply to damir
I got consistently fast speeds on LTE with Koodo when I was in K-W back in December, though granted it was only for a few days (for a funeral). Koodo and Telus are the same corporate overlords, so with Telus, it *should* work.

And while you're looking around, I'd point you at the Bell "Light" data plans. They have a 6GB data plan with unlimited nationwide long distance and texting for $95/mo, call display/voicemail included. The difference between the Light/Heavy plans with them is how much of a phone they'll subsidize, rather than the actual data included, so if you're considering bringing your own device, or don't need the super big mega ultra phone XT (or whatever the hell they call it these days), then you can probably get more data for less money by looking at the "small" plan.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
said by taraf:

I got consistently fast speeds on LTE with Koodo when I was in K-W back in December, though granted it was only for a few days (for a funeral). Koodo and Telus are the same corporate overlords, so with Telus, it *should* work.

And Telus uses Bell where they don't have their own towers. Where Bell is, Telus is also.

And while you're looking around, I'd point you at the Bell "Light" data plans. They have a 6GB data plan with unlimited nationwide long distance and texting for $95/mo, call display/voicemail included.

I pay $57/mo for that on Telus Business.
--

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

WAAAY too slow, I've seen people use those sticks in their PC's, not even close to reasonable.
--
My Name is Wiley E Coyote, Super Genius

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to damir
I've had some experience with Rogers LTE sticks in Montreal. Performance was excellent. Good low latency, throughput both up and down better than anything short of a 50 meg VDSL2 line. We've used it two years in a row to power the LAN gaming section at our convention, which means we had 10 computers playing online games like League of Legends (where the gameplay server is remote on the Internet) and it worked flawlessly.

This year we may be trying a different provider, looking forward to seeing how that works.
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!

BGB
Wants moar interwebz
Premium
join:2009-07-09
Waterloo, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

said by MaynardKrebs:

WAAAY too slow, I've seen people use those sticks in their PC's, not even close to reasonable.

I would not say Way too slow. While it's not as fast as LTE, it is faster than the DSL connection that Bell offers at my address. This was taken from the Kitchener/Waterloo border.

While there are a few fringe spots around town (Main one I come across is around the Ira Needles/Boardwalk area.) for the most part, their coverage in KW is decent.