jrs8084
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to buckingham

Re: Musings about new printer. . . ideas?

Thanks all-I might pursue the laser route. The two models noted-I will have to look at those in person, but they do appear a tad large. I keep my printer on a stand. But, I will keep an open mind.

Does anyone know definitively if certain laser models will lock out the cartridge after a period of time.

The other question: do lasers still have the complicated paper path like a laser printer (or photocopier) in the past? My heavy stock Quicken checks might not like that. . .:-( I only print a few a month, though.

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
said by jrs8084:

Does anyone know definitively if certain laser models will lock out the cartridge after a period of time.

Not sure what that means, but get the Brother, it just works

said by jrs8084:

The other question: do lasers still have the complicated paper path like a laser printer (or photocopier) in the past? My heavy stock Quicken checks might not like that. . .:-( I only print a few a month, though.

Not positive, I've used heavier grade paper, but not sure about "heavy stock". Go to the Brother forum?

In any event, it's a great printer.

jrs8084
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
Thanks all. I am going to go look in person.

Haroldo: I have heard good things in the past regarding Brother. re: "locking out": 2000 pages would probably last me 5 years. With some ink jet cartridges, they would give warning/then refuse to work after a certain timespan (say two years)-even if they were working fine/full. Older lasers didn't do this, but I was wondering if the cheaper lasers do to make $$ on the consumables.

Re: PPM: slow is fine for me, I rarely print a lot at once. Actually, my current ink jet prints something like up to 34 PPM, and i always slow it down (increase print quality). It about tears the paper through the path, the ink head is flying back and fourth rocking the unit, and then it flings the paper out across the desk. I think the slower speed is a bit more gentle on the mechanics!

Daemon: good point about the drivers. I never had that issue (and mine were always directly supported under X) I certainly don't want something flakey. On the flip side, I saw specs for some that supported 10.3-10.5. Obviously, it might work on later, but that spec was written for a pretty old design.

Again, I appreciate all your input: do any of you know what the current draw is when the fuser is warming up? I don't need numbers, but is it as significant as it was with older lasers? (It drew like 12 amps during warmup.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:19

1 edit
reply to haroldo
Do any of the current AIO Color lasers from Brother support AirPrint? Have you used it?

My current 9320 isn't made any more and doesn't support AirPrint but is a really good printer when used with quality consumables. My wife is in the market for a new work printer and would like it to have AirPrint.

My brother has a low toner print lockout but it's easily bypassed with a service button combo easily found on the net. Then it'll print till it's out of toner.
--
I'll make it work.... hand me that BFR.

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
Don't know, check the web site. My one predates AirPrint, but there's an easy to use app for (non AirPrint) Brother printers so you can print from iOS.