dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Roku3 recently failing to maintain HDCP authorization

I use a Roku3, principally for Netflix. The Roku3 feeds a Marantz SR5007 receiver to a Samsung 1080p TV, HDMI throughout. It's been perfect since I bought it.

Until yesterday.

Then, the screen started blanking after a few minutes of use. At this point, I have to power everything off for many minutes before getting a picture back (even of the Roku home screen).

Resetting the device doesn't make the problem go away.

Smells like HDCP issues.

I tried cabling the Roku directly to the TV and I get an explicit 'HDCP auth failure' message on a purple screen - so it was likely generated by the Roku, purple being their favourite colour. Mind you, I couldn't be sure I'd had the thing powered off for 'long enough' when I tried this experiment; it's all rather flaky.

The Roku options menu tells me I got a new firmware upgrade yesterday, but I can't swear that it's exactly coincidental with the start of my troubles.

Anyone else seeing this?

I sent email to Roku support; if they can't do anything, then my device went to useless overnight. (Editorial: this is of course the trouble with automatic firmware updates)

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
My Roku last updated on Jan 22, and checked for an update at noon and again now manually. Running v5.3 build 4016 for what it's worth...
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

chenrikson0

join:2011-04-16
Delmar, NY
reply to dave
Hi -- Have youposted to the official Roku forum? Google to get a link, but there is lots of info there and Roku monitors what is going on. Have you tried a different HDMI cable? Good luck!

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Thanks for the response.

I have a help request into Roku support, but so far have a boiler-plate response ("to reset HDCP auth, power off for 10 mins..."). As I said when I contacted them: I did that, but the problem just recurs.

I have tried a different cable, with no difference, as I'd expect: the configuration has worked for months and it just upped and died, with no physical change in anything, and the cable is in-cabinet and not subject to any stress.

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
reply to dave
Chatting to a co-worker at lunch, it seems that he has a Roku and Samsung TV, and something similar happened to him.

He suspects key revocation, for some reason. But either way, it looks like the phenomenon is not local to my equipment.

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC
reply to dave
I also occasionally get the HDCP message. I reboot.

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Rebooting every 10 minutes of a movie seems a little like having an unusable system

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Hmm, perhaps we now know why there seems to be a never-ending stream of refurbished Roku boxes on the market.

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to dave
Son of a b......

So after trying a couple of different cables and different ports and getting no improvement, I tried another cable I had around the place, everything else back to its original configuration and (touch wood) I've just watched a couple of episodes of House of Cards without a dropout.

Same cable length (all of them 6'). This one's thinner than the other two, probably 28awg versus 24. Cable is in-cabinet so not affected by passing cats, vacuum cleaners, etc.

Of course, it's possible this is mere coincidence and the recovery is due to something in the external world. If I cared about science I'd put the original cable back and see if it still failed. But I'm not going to. Enough is enough.