spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bogs83
join:2012-12-31

bogs83

I need some reassurance that I am not completely insane [Cable]

Hello all,

I woke up this morning to no internet (cogeco land) I called in to technical support and went through all troubleshooting and all that. It seems to be just me that is having the issue. We go on and the rep creates a support ticket and lets me know they can have the Cogeco tech out to my house Friday the 14th. At which point I was like WTF, I work from home so how am I supposed to do work.

I do not know, but my ddwrt modem shows all traffic stopped to 0 between 11-midnight last night. So it cannot be a cut line as there is no construction during the night. The other idea I have Cogeco just turned the signal off and of course with cogeco its between 8-5pm.

I have some questions with regard to this as I have been a customer for more then a year:
1. Am I crazy to think that this is happening to other people?
2. WHY is it taking so long, there should be emergency locations spots where they get a rep out right away or something?
3. Why should I not switch to Cogeco. Almost same bandwidth, and this would not happen, and i have no allegiance. This is why the "sharing" of infastructure is NEVER going to work. It will be $1 more and 25GB less but heck I bet I can get a tech out TODAY

I am going insane, I have no cable tv or anything and if I am lucky its Friday, if not Monday or Tuesday.

Side note: I do not believe in the statement of they had nothing to do with it. I buy my service from Teksavvy and I expect the service I pay for I do not care what happens behind the scenes.

Has this happened to others? Is it worth calling and talking to manager? Will that speed things up? The rep pretty much told me I should have a backup plan since i am working from home.

*cries*

ThomasT
@teksavvy.com

ThomasT

Anon

Well first I agree that if you "need" internet for work you should have a backup plan.

And many things can happen to cable other than construction damage.

I have been a customer of Cogeco in the past and 3 or so days was normal if there was a problem. They make Bell look like a saint when it comes to business practices.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn to bogs83

Premium Member

to bogs83
Hi Bogs83,

To answer your questions.

1- Not at all, this could be happening to other users. We just haven't received any notices from others also being affected with the same thing.
It may be useful to provide your location.

2- There are procedures to take from the TPIA stand point. We do have to send a notice to Cogeco about your issue & we also have to give them the time to reply. There is not directly telephone communication with Cogeco, everything is done online. As such we do need to get a reply from them. That said, they'll need to schedule a tech & sometimes it could depend on their availability in your area to get the issue fixed.

3- At the end of the day, it's your decision, but keep in mind that if it's an area outage, no matter which provider you would be with, the same issue would apply.

All that said & done, if you would like to post in the »/forum ··· avdirect forum, I can check to see if any other reports have been brought up in your area.

Regards,
Martin
The Mongoose
join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON

The Mongoose to bogs83

to bogs83
1) You don't have to care what happens behind the scenes, but we all have to live in reality. You pay Teksavvy, Teksavvy pays Cogeco. If Cogeco breaks something, they are the ones who have to fix it. Teksavvy has no other options, and are in fact legally prohibited from working to fix something on Cogeco's network.

2) Just because there's not been construction doesn't rule out a cut line somewhere along your path, though it's not the most likely reason.

3) When you say you have no cable TV, do you mean do you mean you lost your cable due to this outage, or that you do not subscribe to cable? If it's the former, you might get a tech quicker by asking Cogeco to fix your TV.

4) Check in often to ensure the Friday dispatch holds. The incumbents like to cancel them, and the customer doesn't always get informed.
voxframe
join:2010-08-02

voxframe to bogs83

to bogs83
Ditto on the backup. Not going to touch it any further, but residential service is exactly that. Residential. Nobody has any right to expect or demand that it be treated as an enterprise level connection. You work from home, that's nice, but be aware that the available service to you is X. Take it or leave it, but don't complain when it drops (Which it will do) and you don't have a fallback.

All that said, there are always lead times when dealing with service providers. Expecting same day service on a residential *ANYTHING* is stupid. It's LUCKY if you get it, but expecting/demanding it is beyond what you pay. If you want "Emergency" locations/techs/etc, then be prepared for your service price to at least double. Ask any other residential customer (Using their service for its intended purposes) and they will tell you they'd rather save double and wait a day, instead of pay double for same day service. It's an all or nothing deal, not something that can be managed on a per client basis.

All THAT said, I find it pretty shitty that Cogeco can dispatch same day (or at least they SAY they will, but that's an entirely different ball of wax with Cogeco, you may find yourself surprised) when they won't do the same for TSI. But that shows exactly what Cogeco's business side is really like.

All of THHAAT said, I hope you get your service back up and rolling. But please don't push simply for the fact that "I work from home"... If service is that critical for you, have a backup, or go to the office like everyone else.

(I work for an ISP, and there's nothing I loath more than, work from home "businessmen" who think that their suit and title suddenly grants them superiority over all the other home connections. It's a HOME connection, regardless of what you use it for, it's HOME service. GET IN LINE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE.)

(No direct slamming of the OP, you were at the very least, somewhat polite about it. Compared to most of the "work at home" people who scream here.)
bogs83

bogs83

Thanks all, I guess I am the odd duck out:)

I will have to look into some form of backup going forward to not trust anyone since we are all human and heck I am not perfect.

TSI Martin - Fair enough as an area might be out. It seems like my service has returned now. I was wondering if there is a way to tell or inform your customers that do call in if it is an outage or an issue. Me getting told it would be 3 days maybe more made me boil over. Where if I was told it would be online sometime in the morning I would of been perfectly fine with that.

Please lock the thread. I will need to figure out backup.
voxframe
join:2010-08-02

voxframe to bogs83

to bogs83
LOL - You gotta be the most polite "work from home" person I think I've ever come across in years.

bogs83

bogs83

I don't know what you mean. since you are using the "" I am guessing you have the same stigma that everyone does WFH. All is well I need to be online

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to bogs83

to bogs83
"At which point I was like WTF, I work from home so how am I supposed to do work."

*SIGH* If working from home is that important why are you relying on a consumer/residential grade connection?

Your paying for a consumer grade connection yet you expect the service level of an enterprise circuit.
The Mongoose
join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON

The Mongoose to bogs83

to bogs83
He's referring to a pattern...someone claims they work from home and NEEEEEEEEED the internetz, but they don't like being informed that anyone who relies on internet service for their livelihood needs more than one connection (or a business-level SLA).

It's probably because most of the people who claim to be WFH are actually lying and are just trying to pressure TekSavvy to fix their connection faster or give them money. It never works. You've handled it differently...I think most regulars here expected a lot of useless ranting as soon as you said you work from home.

As to that, others who mentioned this are right...no home connection is reliable enough to stake your career on it. There are 3 options, really...a second home internet connection (DSL-based in your case), a robust LTE data plan, or ditching your home service for business service with an SLA so your uptime is guaranteed to a high degree. None of these options are cheap, sadly, but depending on the nature of your work, they might be worth it.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn to bogs83

Premium Member

to bogs83
said by bogs83:

TSI Martin - Fair enough as an area might be out. It seems like my service has returned now.

Good to hear,

Sounds like Cogeco decided to do maintenance in your area if it was an overnight outage.
said by bogs83:

I was wondering if there is a way to tell or inform your customers that do call in if it is an outage or an issue.

When we have 5 users advising that they have an issue in a particular area, we do add a outage message to our IVR. We do offer an option to check this Online, which may not always be useful, but many users have alternate methods of getting online such as a mobile phone.

»help.teksavvy.com/hc/en- ··· k-Status
it gets updated several times daily, whether an update is available or not.
said by bogs83:

Me getting told it would be 3 days maybe more made me boil over. Where if I was told it would be online sometime in the morning I would of been perfectly fine with that.

We get that it's not something people want to hear, but we rather be transparent with our users & tell them how it is then tell them fibs about the length of time.

Again, glad you are back online.

Enjoy,
Martin
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to bogs83

Premium Member

to bogs83
said by bogs83:

I need some reassurance that I am not completely insane

Sorry - that is not available at this location.
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to bogs83

to bogs83
If you just need basic internet, look at getting something as simple as a PREPAID mobile internet stick from a mobile provider. If you can get WIND Mobile they actually offer a great plan for 5 dollars a day for unlimited data, only when you use it.. It won't be as fast as a home internet connection, but for that price if you can get it, may be a great backup plan as I know DSL ontop of cable can get pricey, especially if only used as a backup.