martyb1
join:2013-05-18
Wemindji, QC

1 edit

2 recommendations

martyb1 to connections

to connections

Re: IPv6 Update

6RD is not 6over4 or 6to4 or a tunnel-broker service. The RFC is dated 2010 and it was derived from older technology by Free.fr if I am not mistaken.

It is tunnelling yes, but inherently superior when and because the operator providing you with connectivity is also providing you 6RD services. HE-type tunnels are cumbersome because the network path can diverge greatly by address family, whereas an ISP can provide a BR closer to you, and operates it himself.

If I had a choice between an ISP with:

1) no IPv6
2) IPv6 with a HE-type tunnel off-network
3) 6RD

I will and would choose 3 every time.

Again, Kudos to Start. And I am not a customer, due to geography.
SeeDrs
join:2011-03-10
Chatham, ON

SeeDrs to rocca

to rocca
The youtube issue with "The uploader has not made this video available in your country" is no longer an issue.

Adam

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Excellent.

damir
join:2013-12-12
CANADA

damir

Any1 using Kaspersky Antivirus with IPV6 enabled?

connections
@pppoe.ca

1 recommendation

connections to martyb1

Anon

to martyb1
said by martyb1:

6RD is not 6over4 or 6to4 or a tunnel-broker service. The RFC is dated 2010 and it was derived from older technology by Free.fr if I am not mistaken.

It is tunnelling yes, but inherently superior when and because the operator providing you with connectivity is also providing you 6RD services. HE-type tunnels are cumbersome because the network path can diverge greatly by address family, whereas an ISP can provide a BR closer to you, and operates it himself.

That doesn't mean anything. Its still an inferior transition mechanism.
said by martyb1:

If I had a choice between an ISP with:

1) no IPv6
2) IPv6 with a HE-type tunnel off-network
3) 6RD

I will and would choose 3 every time.

For me this doesn't make a difference. They're still not providing native IPv6 support. To the user base they're still an IPv4 only ISP.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

1 recommendation

Gone

Premium Member

said by connections :

For me this doesn't make a difference.

damir
CANADA

damir

LoL , good one Gone.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

1 recommendation

TypeS to connections

to connections
So then go start up a ISP and show everyone else how to roll out IPv6 "natively".

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

1 recommendation

rocca

Premium Member

Rolling out IPv6 with a new ISP is much easier, retrofitting almost 20 years of embedded systems on the other hand is a little trickier. Regardless, not sure what they think a better transitional technology would be (stateless tunnels are pretty freaking awesome) but at this point I don't really care as it's obviously trolling. They've said their piece, I disagree as does the majority of the planet, so we can move on as this thread is about those using our IPv6 beta.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I for one have never been party to the 'I need IPv6 now now now!!!!!!!!!' crowd, but I will be the first to admit that having AAAA records that point to the IPv6 addresses on my home LAN has proven useful for RDPing into those machines from other IPv6-enabled networks, like what I'm doing right now.

martyb1
join:2013-05-18
Wemindji, QC

1 recommendation

martyb1 to connections

to connections
said by connections :

That doesn't mean anything. Its still an inferior transition mechanism.

you need to start supporting your arguments. Simply stating it is "inferior" is not relevant.

Out of all the "transition mecanisms", I personally think it is the most useful. Native IPv6 is the end game, not a "transition", therefore I am eager to read your criticism about 6RD in practical terms.
martyb1

1 recommendation

martyb1 to rocca

to rocca
quote:
but at this point I don't really care as it's obviously trolling. They've said their piece, I disagree as does the majority of the planet, so we can move on as this thread is about those using our IPv6 beta.

yes, 6RD testing has shown me its pretty interesting from an operational standpoint.

I would argue that the more 6RD and native access there is the better, since 6RD helps to skew the IPv6 adoption rate in an upwards direction, eventually benefitting everyone.

rogersmogers
@start.ca

rogersmogers to connections

Anon

to connections
said by connections :

said by martyb1:

For me this doesn't make a difference. They're still not providing native IPv6 support. To the user base they're still an IPv4 only ISP.

So what will native support get us that 6RD doesn't?
penman4
join:2011-10-20

penman4 to rocca

to rocca
said by rocca:

It's expected private beta will run a couple weeks and then public beta will be available

So when can us commoners have access to 6RD ? Right now I can get an IPv6 address but no DNS.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

2 edits

1 recommendation

Davesnothere to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca

I'm a complete N00B to this.

OK, so based on your screen grab, it looks like IPv6 = 8 groups of 4 hexadecimal digits, yes ?

Dat's a lotta characters !

I have not yet read the thread, so please excuse if already asked and answered.

Questions :

(1) How long before the existing users of the Internet get their collective arms twisted into using IPv6 ?

(2) How far back in Windows versions will patches go to support it ? (IOW, when do the PC makers begin the FUD to get us all to scrounge money to spend to replace most of the personal computers, as well as the consumer routers and modems in the world ?)

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

1 recommendation

rocca to penman4

Premium Member

to penman4
said by penman4:

So when can us commoners have access to 6RD ? Right now I can get an IPv6 address but no DNS.

I'm aiming for early next week.
rocca

1 recommendation

rocca to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
1) I suspect IPv4 will be around for a long while still.

2) I don't recall what the first version of Windows to support IPv6 was, but XP does and I don't think anyone is going back further than that, at least I hope not.

damir
CANADA

damir to rocca

to rocca
said by rocca:

Google latency will be higher for a few days, we're working with them to get our IPv6 peering up. Should be done this week I'd expect.

hey rocca, do you expect this to be completed this week, or we are looking into next week for this?

Thanks!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

I'm surprised it's not done yet, just waiting for Google currently. I nudged them again yesterday.

damir
CANADA

damir

Perfect sir! Thank you

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 recommendation

Davesnothere to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
said by rocca:

2) I don't recall what the first version of Windows to support IPv6 was, but XP does and I don't think anyone is going back further than that, at least I hope not.

I see IPv6 named on my Vista PC in the default network settings, but not on an XP beast.

Would it be necessary to manually ADD this to XP ?

toache
@agr.ca

2 recommendations

toache

Anon

said by Davesnothere:

said by rocca:

I see IPv6 named on my Vista PC in the default network settings, but not on an XP beast.

Would it be necessary to manually ADD this to XP ?

Windows XP SP 2 supports IPv6 but you have to manually install it. Plus some more fiddling for dhcp.
see: »ipv6int.net/systems/wind ··· pv6.html

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 recommendation

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by toache :

Windows XP SP 2 supports IPv6 but you have to manually install it. Plus some more fiddling for dhcp.
see: »ipv6int.net/systems/wind ··· pv6.html

Thanks

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

1 recommendation

rocca

Premium Member

We have opened up the Beta to any of our customers.

Please keep in mind it's still beta and support is currently limited to this forum, but no need to register to try it out now.

We are still waiting for Google IPv6 peering which I expect will happen early next week, but most of our other peers are up with IPv6.

Thanks.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

SimplePanda to martyb1

Premium Member

to martyb1
said by martyb1:

6rd can be thought of as an automated (or more or less automated in the case of Start's implementation as you need to statically configure it) configuration mechanism for standard encapsulation (IP protocol 41).

Indeed you can make any 6in4 capable router (like an Airport Extreme, for example) work with 6rd with a bit of extra configuration (calculating your prefix based on your assigned address, etc).

So fundamentally yes, 6rd is a tunnel technology. The idea is that it's a "better" tunnel technology because the transit from you to your tunnel broker / relay is controlled by the provider and is only a few hops at most away.
florin
join:2006-03-23
Burlington, ON

2 recommendations

florin to rocca

to rocca
New customer here - just transitioned from cCable (business) to 60/10.

Congratulations Rocca and the team, the experience so far (sales, shipping, provisioning, follow-up) is excellent.

As of now, I am also on IPv6:

Your IPv4 address on the public Internet appears to be 108.170.x.x
Your IPv6 address on the public Internet appears to be 2600:16f6:x:x:x:x:x:x
Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) appears to be START-CA - Start Communications
Since you have IPv6, we are including a tab that shows how well you can reach other IPv6 sites. [more info]

It appears that you use a managed tunnel mechanism, 6RD, to transport IPv6 over IPv4. [more info]

Good news! Your current configuration will continue to work as web sites enable IPv6.
Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have IPv6 Internet access.
Your readiness score
10/10 for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced to go IPv6 only

---

latency to google is ~36ms.

Good job!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

1 recommendation

rocca

Premium Member

Excellent, welcome aboard and thanks for the feedback. Latency to Google should also improve shortly once our IPv6 peering with them is complete.