join:2008-11-11
Sanger, TX
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..
·CenturyLink

[Embarq] Bonded DSL - 76266 - 25M/2M

Modem - Technicolor C2000T
Package cost - "Total Cost" - 71.95

Finally managed to get bonded DSL in my area on 2-27. First customer in entire area according to install techs. So far it has been outstanding. 25Mbps/2Mbps package and my lines can actually obtain more than that if they'd unthrottle me. But hey..twice the speeds is very nice to have.

Latency and gaming has also been tremendously better. Still not able to stream Netflix at HD but I'm thinking that's due to CTL limiting that. I'm able to get full HD from other streaming providers (YouTube, Vudu, Hulu, Amazon) just not Netflix. I can switch to my LTE connection and stream through Wifi hotspot to my tablet and get HD on Netflix so this is why I believe CTL is doing some trickery.

I've said it before in the forums, if it wasn't for CTL_Joey and all the hard work he and his team have done for me I would've permanently gone away from CTL to someone else even if that meant much higher costs to me. Thanks again Joey for all you've done.

Now, if CTL would throw a sizeable chunk of money into the infrastructure of this area and areas it routes through that would be great. All the issues below have gone away for now but I'd imagine that they will be back based on my extensive history with them.

Only wish at this point - CTL stop throttling Netflix.

I'll keep this thread updated with posts on how this new package is going. When I get home today I'll post up some speed/ping test results.

gapmn

join:2013-11-10
Saint Paul, MN
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
What makes you think it is Centurylink throttling? IF you can stream "YouTube, Vudu, Hulu, Amazon" in HD, why would CL just throttle Netflix. That does not make sense. Therefore I would look else where. Do you have access to an "Apple TV" device? If so, try streaming Netflix through the Apple TV device and I bet you can get HD.

Crusty

Sanger, TX
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..
·CenturyLink
said by gapmn:

What makes you think it is Centurylink throttling?

From my OP - I can switch to my LTE connection and stream through Wifi hotspot to my tablet and get HD on Netflix so this is why I believe CTL is doing some trickery.

gapmn

Saint Paul, MN
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
You said you could stream "YouTube, Vudu, Hulu, Amazon." Why would CL only choose Netflix for their "trickery." I think, you will find Netflix is the culprit. Like I said, try streaming Netflix through an Apple TV device and I bet you can get HD. Netflix uses a different Peering setup with Apple TV.

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Portland, OR
reply to Crusty
The CL to Netflix connection is limited, not really throttled.

The same way that the Comcast to Netflix connection was limited until Netflix paid Comcast more money.

Crusty

Sanger, TX
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..
·CenturyLink
said by toby:

The CL to Netflix connection is limited, not really throttled.

The same way that the Comcast to Netflix connection was limited until Netflix paid Comcast more money.

Thanks toby

newdgamez

join:2010-02-18
Loveland, CO
reply to Crusty
How did you end up getting Bonded? I've tried multiple times, and no success yet.

gapmn

Saint Paul, MN
reply to Crusty
If it is CL down grading the Netflix signal, why will Netflix stream over Apple TV in HD on your same CL connection? Again, "Netflix uses a different Peering setup with Apple TV." Please try it over Apple TV.

Midniteoyl

join:2013-11-22
Knox, IN
kudos:1
HD, or 'Super HD? My Roku will say 'HD' but it not really 'HD'. Only 'Super HD' is HD.

Here's a tidbit: On any 'smart' blu-ray or Roku, Netflix will do the faux HD.. On my android stick, it says 'HD' but looks 100% better.. Throttling by device? Dunno. I do know that Hulu looks much better than Neflix on the Roku/blu-ray, but they both look the same (better) on the android stick.

Midniteoyl

Knox, IN
reply to toby
So, throttling then..

gapmn

Saint Paul, MN
Yes routing issue. It's Netflix not wanting to pay Cogent, Level3 etc...but its not CL

toby
Troy Mcclure

Portland, OR
said by gapmn:

Yes routing issue. It's Netflix not wanting to pay Cogent, Level3 etc...but its not CL

Well it could be CL, as they are the ones paying for the connections to other companies. They don't want to pay more.

CL could choose if they so desired to join the Netflix Open connect, which would reduce their data usage between other networks, maybe as high as 50% in the evenings.

But they haven't. CL wants people to use PrismTv product, to the 3% (joke) of their service area that can get it.

gapmn

Saint Paul, MN
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
There was a link on one of these forums to a video interview that finally explained in layman terms this whole Netflix peering/open connect issue. interestingly enough, during the interview, one of the guests said CL had joined Netflix Open Connect (he said it twice).

toby
Troy Mcclure

Portland, OR
I saw that video too, but that is the only place I've seen them mentioned.

Have you seen it mentioned anywhere else, or seen a list of the ISPs?

gapmn

Saint Paul, MN
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

Midniteoyl

Knox, IN
reply to toby
Yep.. Dont say its not CL's fault. It absolutely is. MOST online streaming is Netflix and the ISP's are trying to cash in.. Forget Netflix says they will put in - AND MAINTAIN for free - CDN's...

gapmn

Saint Paul, MN
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
Did you read those links. Why is it only Netflix then. In addition, Netflix says it will "out" any ISP they think is throttling ( and why wouldn't they, it's in there best interest) and let the public unrest determine the ISP's fate.

I am on the record: I have no online streaming issues with Netflix or any other online streaming company.

Midniteoyl

Knox, IN
said by gapmn:

Did you read those links. Why is it only Netflix then. In addition, Netflix says it will "out" any ISP they think is throttling ( and why wouldn't they, it's in there best interest) and let the public unrest determine the ISP's fate.

Yes.. Yes I did: "A common current theory appears to be that while Verizon isn't throttling Netflix connections, they could be letting peering links with certain companies saturate to the benefit of negotiations, while giving their own CDN and services a leg up. Verizon isn't likely to want to incur regulatory wrath by openly violating network neutrality, though keep in mind historically their anti-competitive gatekeeper abuses have been subtle and buried under faux technical justifications. "

In effect - throttling.

gapmn

Saint Paul, MN
How come Netflix isn't outing them then?

Midniteoyl

Knox, IN

1 edit
Because its not technically 'throttling' in the 'Oh, Netflix stream! let's reduce its throughput!' That would cause a crapstorm.. So, instead, they limit the amount of connections and/or their priority. Same effect, but not against Net Neutrality (which is a joke anyways) Again, read please: "... Verizon isn't likely to want to incur regulatory wrath by openly violating network neutrality, though keep in mind historically their anti-competitive gatekeeper abuses have been subtle and buried under faux technical justifications..."

Its funny that I cannot get 'super HD', but my Mediacom buddy can using my Roku. Or, that Comcast allowed 'Super HD', then didnt, but now allow it again after blackmailing Netflix to pay more $..

Funny how I can D/L at 16-18mbps, but Netflix always says 'Playing at xxxmbps (low) on your 6mbps network (or lower..

Funny how Netflix on Android plays at a higher quality than on a Roku hooked to the same router..

Funny how Hulu on the Roku plays better than Netflix on the same Roku..

gapmn

Saint Paul, MN
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
Okay... But how come it's only Netflix and not Amazon etc... I am not buying it's because Netflix is bigger. To keep from being obvious, they would throttle them all.

"J.P. Morgan analyst Doug Anmuth (says) he has been talking to Netflix CEO Reed Hastings and CFO David Wells, and they told him they don’t think cable and telco companies are hampering the company’s video streams."

toby
Troy Mcclure

Portland, OR
said by gapmn:

Okay... But how come it's only Netflix and not Amazon etc... I am not buying it's because Netflix is bigger. To keep from being obvious, they would throttle them all.

Netflix is the most popular video service using 31% of all traffic on the internet in the evening.

Amazon is tiny by comparison, less than 2% according to this article.

»news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-576117···traffic/

Ever wonder Youtube always buffers?

That is the number two.

The 'pipes' coming from Netflix aren't big enough.
Why you ask...
CL hasn't 'built' big enough 'pipes'.

gapmn

Saint Paul, MN
reply to Crusty
Okay, okay...I am waving the white flag.

toby
Troy Mcclure

Portland, OR
haha

Midniteoyl

Knox, IN
reply to gapmn

Crusty

Sanger, TX
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..
·CenturyLink
reply to Crusty
LOL...I'm nowhere near tech savy as some of you here but when all other services on the same devices will stream at HD or Super HD but Netflix will not, that really points to the provider as the culprit in my mind. Thanks for hashing it out.

Here's a speed test. I'll get another one from evening time.

Hilarious that it's still ranked as a C+

brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ
It's not necessarily the provider, CL dumps all netflix data back through a level3 peering point and level3 cannot handle all of the traffic.

I have no issues doing Netflix in HD in Phoenix.

toby
Troy Mcclure

Portland, OR
I'm pretty sure I pay my money to CL.

brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
Just because you pay your money to centurylink does not mean it's CenturyLink's fault. There are so many other factors that make the internet work that no normal human being could understand

Since it's only one video website that's having the issue it's most likely a netflix issue with how they're choosing to route data to you

Midniteoyl

Knox, IN
So, having Netflix offer to put in CDN's for free and maintaining those CDN's for free and CL refusing unless money is paid also is not CL's fault? Hmm..