spc
Search similar:

uniqs
rainlake
join:2006-10-03
Twinsburg, OH

rainlake

ipv6 issues on twc

I'm in ne ohio. my router(running openwrt) get a /128 address and a /64 ipv6 from twc.
my router can always do ping6 to any ipv6 address. however, my computers in my lan can only do ping6 for a few minutes, or can not ping6 at all.
but if I open a window, run ping6 and keep it running. this ping6 will always work. but not any other ipv6 address. for example, I can keep ping6 www.google.com and has reply from it's address, but I can not open test-ipv6.com any more.

is this because twc "forget" I have this /64 address because I did not send them message that I'm still using this address, so they "delete" the route of my address?
any workaround for this?

czyc
@65.29.235.x

czyc

Anon

I had a similar problem and turned out my firewall was blocking outbound neighbor solicitations so the router thought the route was gone. I am having a different problem though where ipv6 packets of exactly 690 bytes are being dropped just upstream of my cable modem. 691 byte and 689 byte packets are fine and no problems with ipv4 packets.
rainlake
Twinsburg, OH

rainlake

thank you.
so what router are you using? what did you do to "unblock" neighbor solicitation?
I'm recompiling openwrt and I will recofigure it. will see if it help.
thank you!

btw, I think neighbor solicitations goes to router local link, because "router" is giving out ipv6 address?

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

1 recommendation

swintec to rainlake

Premium Member

to rainlake
Ive had nothing but problems with IPv6 since it was launched. I disabled it for awhile but I enabled it again several weeks ago and it looks like they have disabled it on their side awhile ago.

Any sort of prolonged use like youtube or netflix would cause the connection to stop passing any traffic for about 30 seconds or so. it was strange, but also annoying.

czyc
@65.29.235.x

czyc to rainlake

Anon

to rainlake
I'm using a linux pc and had to set iptables to allow all icmpv6 traffic in and out from the external interface. Neighbor solicitations and advertisements are sent between the link-local addresses of neighboring routers, in this case your lan router and twc's next upstream router.
rainlake
Twinsburg, OH

1 recommendation

rainlake to swintec

to swintec
yeah, ipv6 is headache. I will just disable them.
I'm a fun of new stuff. but not this one, not anymore
rainlake

rainlake to czyc

to czyc
enabled forwarding without any luck.:(
got timeouts when tracert -d -6.
mind21_98
join:2006-05-13
San Diego, CA

mind21_98 to rainlake

to rainlake
Ultimately I rolled my own DD-WRT based IPv6 configuration from stuff I found online. Note that you have to be really careful with the firewall setup or you could kill DHCPv6 and router solicitation (and thus IPv6 connectivity). No problems with IPv6 so far.
rainlake
Twinsburg, OH

rainlake

I tried default settings of firewall and add neighbour-solicitation, neighbour-advertisement in ipv6-icmp forwarding rule and add a rule enable all ipv6 icmp forwarding. still no luck.
I would rather believe it's a ISP issue. like I said before, lots of timeouts when do trace
mind21_98
join:2006-05-13
San Diego, CA

mind21_98

Does it work any better if you connect a PC directly to your modem?
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

etaadmin to rainlake

to rainlake
IPV6 is working really well here with an ASUS RT-AC68U and SB6141. Asus firmware 3.0.0.4.374_4561 added a lot of nice stuff and enabled IPV6 firewall something that the previous version didn't.

My router gets a /128 address for the WAN and a /64 for the LAN. On the LAN side I have a combination of Macs, linux/BSD and a win7 all configured with temporary IPV6 addresses.

So far it has been working pretty good.
rainlake
Twinsburg, OH

rainlake to mind21_98

to mind21_98
I did not try. I suppose so because my router works all the time(I mean ping6)

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to etaadmin

Premium Member

to etaadmin
said by etaadmin:

Asus firmware 3.0.0.4.374_4561 added a lot of nice stuff and enabled IPV6 firewall something that the previous version didn't.

Thanks for the heads up. Seems the N56U uses the same firmware so I just upgraded to that version. Now I just need to wait until TW re-enables IPv6 again for me.

What features have you found in this firmware? Also, I dont see a firewall under IPv6 area...is it somewhere else?

EDIT- Nvm, found IPv6 firewall.
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

etaadmin

Click for full size
said by swintec:

What features have you found in this firmware? Also, I dont see a firewall under IPv6 area...is it somewhere else?

EDIT- Nvm, found IPv6 firewall.

Basically asus' new firmware fixes the ftp security issue and added ipv6 firewall functionality.

With the previous version I had to disable ipv6 in my computers when on a routine port scan I found that my computers were exposed to the outside world

»ipv6.chappell-family.com ··· tcptest/

The ipv6 firewall option is under advanced settings/firewall/ipv6 firewall tab.
rainlake
Twinsburg, OH

rainlake

tried acquire a /56 block. all ip address looks fine. ipv6 website stills comes and go in chrome.
rainlake

rainlake

things get more interesting: I can connect ipv6 address inside my lan(after add rules in ip6tables) from outside! but not inside to outside!