uniqs
share rss forum feed

gapmn

join:2013-11-10
Saint Paul, MN
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

CL Slow IPV6

I am using the Q1000z in bridge mode with a ASUS RT-N66U handling the PPPoe connection. I enabled IPV6 on the router yesterday using the setting parameters from CL. I get 43/5 using IPV4 and only 1/1.5 using IPV6. Any ideas?? The IPV6 connection passes all the online tests, it's just slow.

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

I have IPv6 disabled on my network, I didn't know CL supported it, I see the setting on the Technicolour router I use.

Any advantage to enabling it?

gapmn

Saint Paul, MN

I just thought I would enable it to get it working, become familiar with it, and then disable it until it's needed.

toby
Troy Mcclure

Seattle, WA

I'll try it this week too, see what happens.

gapmn

Saint Paul, MN

Thanks, that would be great.

LtnKreationz

join:2009-11-11
Mesa, AZ
reply to gapmn

I'm using IPv6 without any issues. I have a ZyXEL C1000Z bridged to a Linksys EA6900 router. I'm synced at 50/20 and get full speeds.

toby
Troy Mcclure

Seattle, WA
reply to gapmn

Any tips/site links to setup pfsense and a C2000T?

Is there something like transparent bridging?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 recommendation

reply to toby

said by toby:

I have IPv6 disabled on my network, I didn't know CL supported it ...

»internethelp.centurylink.com/int···6rd.html

At this time, probably only as a learning experience. I do visit some Asian sites which are IPv6; don't know if they are IPv6 only. APNIC, the Asia-Pacific RIR (Regional Internet Registry) has already run out of IPv4 IP addresses.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to toby

said by toby:

I have IPv6 disabled on my network, I didn't know CL supported it, I see the setting on the Technicolour router I use.

Here I go again, repeating what I said in other threads.

I point to and quote from »Re: [Business] Any updates on the IPv6 business trials? (which is a sub-selection from »[IPv6] Why all the hoopla over IPv6? trials- )

quote:
Some larger ISPs have some blocks of IPv4 address slack, but for a lot of smaller ones and for many hosting providers, they're running dry and have been for a while. Most cellular providers are already NATting cellular data connections.

And, it's gotten to the point where IP blocks are being bought and sold like a finite resource. Microsoft paid roughly $11.25 per IP address to acquire a block of IPv4 addresses from the bankrupt Nortel estate:

»www.networkworld.com/community/b···-address

$11.25 for an IPv4 address doesn't sound like a lot, but the number of hosts connecting will continue to expand while the number of IPV4 addresses will not. This means that price WILL go up as the commodity becomes scarcer... and that will start to hit your monthly internet bill... UNLESS people start aggressively pushing their ISPs to roll out IPv6 sooner.

quote:
While an IPv6 address won't enhance your internet connection or provide extra features, the fact is, your experience on IPv4 will start to degrade over time. More people will be forced on NATs, meaning blocked ports. Hosting a website or server on IPv4 will become more and more expensive, and eventually almost impossible. And as websites start to go IPv6 only, it'll be harder for people not connected over IPv6 to reach those sites.

The simple fact is, we can start pushing to migrate now so that it continues to be "not a big deal," or we can be complacent about it and wait until it starts to get really bad.

^^^
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

gapmn

Saint Paul, MN
reply to LtnKreationz

Can you screen shot your IPV6 settings?

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 recommendation

Per the CL site I linked above, 6rd tunnel settings are:

DHCP Option              Disable
IPv6 Prefix              2602::
IPv6 Prefix Length       24
IPv4 Border Router       205.171.2.64
IPv4 Router Mask Length  0
Tunnel MTU               1472
IPv6 DNS Server 1        2001:428:101:100:205:171:3:65
IPv6 DNS Server 2        2001:428:101:100:205:171:2:65

The link has screen shots for CL CPE, but the labels should be common across all makes of routers with 6rd support. Many Netgear router models only support either Native IPv6, or 6to4 tunnels, but not 6in4 and 6rd tunnels.

--
Norman

gapmn

Saint Paul, MN

Thanks Normans, those are the same settings I am using.

gapmn

Saint Paul, MN
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to gapmn

Click for full size
Here are my current settings. I also tried Google and Opendns IPV6 servers.
Expand your moderator at work

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to gapmn

Re: CL Slow IPV6

You're welcome. If you want to use a third IPv6 DNS server, Hurricane Electric offers 2001:470:20::2 with their 6in4 tunnel service. I am currently using it with my Sonic.net 6rd tunnel.
--
Norman

gapmn

Saint Paul, MN
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

1 edit
reply to gapmn

»stage.results.speedtest.comcast.···3004.png

All is well in the universe again. The problem appears to have been a "bridge" connection I was using between some desktops and my RT-N66U router.

crazyk4952
Premium
join:2002-02-04
united state
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric
reply to gapmn

said by gapmn:

I am using the Q1000z in bridge mode with a ASUS RT-N66U handling the PPPoe connection. I enabled IPV6 on the router yesterday using the setting parameters from CL. I get 43/5 using IPV4 and only 1/1.5 using IPV6. Any ideas?? The IPV6 connection passes all the online tests, it's just slow.

I am using the same router and a Q1000A DSL modem (in transparent bridging mode). I just switched IPv6 on yesterday, and my experience is quite the opposite.

It seems like IPv6 pages are loading noticeably faster.

gapmn

Saint Paul, MN
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

2 edits

Yea, my experience has changed 180 degrees now that I figured out the culprit (WNCE2001). Everything on my IPV6 is humming along nicely. Are you using Merlin's F/W 374.40 on your 66U ? It seems like a lot of people have enabled their IPV6 in the last month or so.

crazyk4952
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

said by gapmn:

Are you using Merlin's F/W 374.40 on your 66U ? It seems like a lot of people have enabled there IPV6 in the last month or so.

I am using Tomato by Shibby

gapmn

Saint Paul, MN

2 recommendations

reply to gapmn

How is the Tomato F/W on the RT-N66U? What advantages does it bring?

crazyk4952
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

said by gapmn:

How is the Tomato F/W on the RT-N66U? What advantages does it bring?

So far I have few complaints. This page has several links to screenshots and a few videos of the interface: »www.polarcloud.com/tomato

There are many more features than using the stock firmware. Here are the ones I use most:

-See traffic by IP address (both live and historic). For example, if you wanted to see how much bandwidth your Roku used in the past 24 hours (or past month), this is very easy to see.

-OpenVPN server. You can VPN into your home network when you are away. Once it's set up, its simple to establish the connection.

-QoS.

-Bandwidth Limiting. Bandwidth can be limited per MAC address.

There are other features that i really don't use. Here is a link to the Shibby version: »tomato.groov.pl/?page_id=164