Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

unibroker
Premium
join:2010-11-12
Altadena, CA

Chromecast & Vizio SmartTV

My Vizio e320i-a0 has a solid wireless connection to my dlink router. I am having trouble establishing a connection with my Chromecast to set it up. When I access the networking menu in my Vizio I see both networks but the icon shows an open padlock next to the Chromecast SSID. My dlink router shows the Vizio connection but not the Chromecast.

I tried to change the access point for the Chromecast to the Vizio one figuring that I don't need the TV and the Chromecast to have wifi at the same time. It doesn't have the desired affect as it just switches me to the Vizio.

I have googled the past 2 days and everything I try is to no avail. I was thinking I'd stop by here before going further.

eibgrad

join:2010-03-15
I’m not quite sure what you’re trying to do here, but it’s sound like maybe you’re trying to connect the Vizio wireless client to the Chromecast AP, as if this will result in only one wireless client (the Chromecast) to the router.

The only purpose of the Chromecast AP is for setup purposes w/ your router. You do that by using a wireless desktop/laptop, or even mobile device. You connect to the Chromecast AP (SSID), configure it as a wireless client to your router, and then the Chromecast AP has served its purpose.

From that point on, you have two wireless connections to the router; one by the Chromecast, the other by the TV.

unibroker
Premium
Altadena, CA
Thanks for the response. When I try to do the initial setup with my tablet and the Chromecast app, the tablet tells me No Chromecasts found on ChromecastXXXX. In my mind that's logical because ChromecastXXXX has not connected to my dlink router because it never goes through the password check that my TV's wifi goes through when it connects. The TV's and tablet's network menus show the two wifi networks broadcasting but the router only shows the wifi network shared by the TV and tablet not the ChromecastXXXX.

I have reset the ChromecastXXXX figuring I could start the setup process over but the result is the same.

eibgrad

join:2010-03-15
reply to unibroker

unibroker
Premium
Altadena, CA

1 edit
Thanks. Helpful to see what a successful setup looks like. Mine fails when my tablet looks for Chromecasts on the only network available by my router, which is not ChromecastXXXX, and returns "No Chromecasts found on (name of network)". From my tablet Settings/Wifi I then select ChromecastXXXX to connect to after which the Chromecast app starts searching and then returns "No Chromecast found on ChromecastXXXX". The problem seems to stem from my router not even seeing the Chromecast's SSID. If it could then I would be prompted for my password.

My router is not on Google's list of supported routers but my buddy says his isn't either and he connects no problem. As I said my TV had no problem connecting to the router out of the box so I know there are no special hurdles.

unibroker
Premium
Altadena, CA
reply to eibgrad
I have set up a Guest Zone on my router with my Chromecast's current SSID (someone online with the same router said that is how he established connection with his CC). Now that appears under the router's Status tab but I still get the same, "No Chromecast found on ChromecastXXXX" when the Chromecast app is first opened.

unibroker
Premium
Altadena, CA
Happy to say I've got a working Chromecast. I borrowed a friend's laptop with Win7 and installed it without a hitch. The wireless device I was using is a rooted Nook Color and read that some of the custom roms were causing problems; something about adhoc not being active. Whatever, now I've got Chromecast on my network.

Another thing that might be of interest is that I am dual boot (Ubuntu/WinXP) on my desktop and cannot cast from the Ubuntu OS but when I switch to the WinXP I can. From Ubuntu the Chrome Cast button turns red and says, "The selected device is no longer online. Please select a different device". Was I shocked when I tried WinXP for the first time and turned around to see the tab from my browser on the TV!

Thanks for your help eibgrad.

unibroker
Premium
Altadena, CA
Found this (»arusahni.net/blog/2013/08/chrome···ntu.html) and now I'm using Chromecast from Ubuntu. It has to do with the firewall (ufw) and I was able to adjust it using the link's instructions and my router's DHCP Reservations List tab under Network Settings.